Sponsored

Eaton E-Locker, Another option finally here for non JTR E-Lockers.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
The module listed looks great and give you more options for extra switches, but no place for the swaybar disconnect to go...
Sponsored

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Did anyone actually use the Eaton switch? I had a shop that did gears for a previous jeep install the locker. Iā€™m going to do the wiring the next time itā€™s not cold, raining, or snowing in PA (so maybe never). But that switch is quite bulky. Wondering if anyone found a good place to mount it.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I avoided the Rubicon bc I did not want Eaton lockers bc of how they engage. And now they have the issue of sometimes getting fried electrically. To the point Jeep just replaces your axle because they dont want to open differentials.

The issue for me is how they engage. Even when you hit the button to turn them on, it requires certain amount of tire spin to engage it. The reason is the lock ring has to work it's way up a ramp to get seated into lock position. It has the same ramp backwards too.

So what can happen is that if your forward momentum gets stopped and the truck slides backwards some, the lock ring slides back down this ramp, and you are now unlocked. It then requires the wheel spin to engage again. If you don't make it and move backwards at all, again you get unlocked. You can end up bouncing between locked and unlocked if you don't have a smooth transition out of the obstacle.

ARB air lockers use air to engage the lock ring immediately, no rotation required. There is also no unlocking if you slide backwards, when you hit the button it's locked and stays locked.

This Eaton unlocking and relocking doesn't matter if you're just out wheeling in mud or a consistent obstacle like sand or snow. But if you're dealing with slipper rocks or downed trees you don't make it over, can get frustrating.

If you don't already have lockers, just get ARB imo.

This explains it

I spoke with ox and supposedly thereā€™s are better and quicker than Eaton. That and wonā€™t have to be busyed back open in case of failure.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Did anyone actually use the Eaton switch? I had a shop that did gears for a previous jeep install the locker. Iā€™m going to do the wiring the next time itā€™s not cold, raining, or snowing in PA (so maybe never). But that switch is quite bulky. Wondering if anyone found a good place to mount it.
I used the factory auxiliary switch panel

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I used their relay/harness but just tapped both the power and switch wire into my aux switch panel box. Main reason for using their relay was the suppression diode.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I spoke with ox and supposedly thereā€™s are better and quicker than Eaton. That and wonā€™t have to be busyed back open in case of failure.
Ox has been around awhile now, but Eaton has been around forever and is an OE supplier. Iā€™d say Eaton is the better choice.

RCKLNDR

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I used their relay/harness but just tapped both the power and switch wire into my aux switch panel box. Main reason for using their relay was the suppression diode.
Thanks. I gave up on putting the switch somewhere and ordered a 6 gang panel. Iā€™m just going to do the same. This of course led me down the road of buying lights so I donā€™t have empty switchesā€¦

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thanks. I gave up on putting the switch somewhere and ordered a 6 gang panel. Iā€™m just going to do the same. This of course led me down the road of buying lights so I donā€™t have empty switchesā€¦
Wait till you realize 6 isnā€™t enough šŸ˜…