Sponsored

Eaton E-Locker, Another option finally here for non JTR E-Lockers.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
This is the list of them in order on the Eaton site. It isn't even listed in the elockers section.
Jeep Gladiator Eaton E-Locker, Another option finally here for non JTR E-Lockers. Screenshot_20211015-215057_Samsung Internet
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
That looks like the mobile site so maybe that isn't up yet. The full site definitely comes up.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech

Sponsored

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
For folks planning to get these, how will you wire the switches? I added the OEM aux panel, but already used 3 switches for lights. Surprised there is a lack of options for locker/rocker switch panel replacements for the factory location (there is one, but it has a lame gas tank switch that is completely non-applicable).

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I avoided the Rubicon bc I did not want Eaton lockers bc of how they engage. And now they have the issue of sometimes getting fried electrically. To the point Jeep just replaces your axle because they dont want to open differentials.

The issue for me is how they engage. Even when you hit the button to turn them on, it requires certain amount of tire spin to engage it. The reason is the lock ring has to work it's way up a ramp to get seated into lock position. It has the same ramp backwards too.

So what can happen is that if your forward momentum gets stopped and the truck slides backwards some, the lock ring slides back down this ramp, and you are now unlocked. It then requires the wheel spin to engage again. If you don't make it and move backwards at all, again you get unlocked. You can end up bouncing between locked and unlocked if you don't have a smooth transition out of the obstacle.

ARB air lockers use air to engage the lock ring immediately, no rotation required. There is also no unlocking if you slide backwards, when you hit the button it's locked and stays locked.

This Eaton unlocking and relocking doesn't matter if you're just out wheeling in mud or a consistent obstacle like sand or snow. But if you're dealing with slipper rocks or downed trees you don't make it over, can get frustrating.

If you don't already have lockers, just get ARB imo.

This explains it

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hysterical. From the item listing:

The Eaton Dana 44 Electric Locker is a great way to make your Wrangler or Gladiator dominate the trail or mall parking lot.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Just curious, why would one prefer these over the OEM Rubicon lockers? For a set of these + install you could almost buy a set of rubi takeoff axles. Are they that much stronger?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Uparms

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I avoided the Rubicon bc I did not want Eaton lockers bc of how they engage. And now they have the issue of sometimes getting fried electrically. To the point Jeep just replaces your axle because they dont want to open differentials.

The issue for me is how they engage. Even when you hit the button to turn them on, it requires certain amount of tire spin to engage it. The reason is the lock ring has to work it's way up a ramp to get seated into lock position. It has the same ramp backwards too.

So what can happen is that if your forward momentum gets stopped and the truck slides backwards some, the lock ring slides back down this ramp, and you are now unlocked. It then requires the wheel spin to engage again. If you don't make it and move backwards at all, again you get unlocked. You can end up bouncing between locked and unlocked if you don't have a smooth transition out of the obstacle.

ARB air lockers use air to engage the lock ring immediately, no rotation required. There is also no unlocking if you slide backwards, when you hit the button it's locked and stays locked.

This Eaton unlocking and relocking doesn't matter if you're just out wheeling in mud or a consistent obstacle like sand or snow. But if you're dealing with slipper rocks or downed trees you don't make it over, can get frustrating.

This explains it

Great input and education. Thank you.

OP
OP
Uparms

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, why would one prefer these over the OEM Rubicon lockers? For a set of these + install you could almost buy a set of rubi takeoff axles. Are they that much stronger?
I got one install price and am waiting for another. I think you have a darn good point!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

This explains it
Between myself and friends and friends of friends I've helped as the resident former Jeep/Toyota tech, this has been much less a concern and has caused fewer problems than ARB. ARB lockers are great until they aren't and between chasing air line leaks to blowing out seals inside the differential that required a complete overhaul, the Eaton design is much simpler with almost nothing to fail in the locking mechanism.

I don't know anyone who has been left stranded from an Eaton locking mechanism failing. I know at least two who have had total lock-up failure on trail with an ARB unit. If you absolutely cannot have wheel spin then the ARB are what you need but generally speaking, the reason you need a locker is because you don't have traction on a wheel so that little bit of spin isn't really an issue.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Between myself and friends and friends of friends I've helped as the resident former Jeep/Toyota tech, this has been much less a concern and has caused fewer problems than ARB. ARB lockers are great until they aren't and between chasing air line leaks to blowing out seals inside the differential that required a complete overhaul, the Eaton design is much simpler with almost nothing to fail in the locking mechanism.

I don't know anyone who has been left stranded from an Eaton locking mechanism failing. I know at least two who have had total lock-up failure on trail with an ARB unit. If you absolutely cannot have wheel spin then the ARB are what you need but generally speaking, the reason you need a locker is because you don't have traction on a wheel so that little bit of spin isn't really an issue.
I would agree. If you can’t afford 1/2 tire rotation, you are probably a different class of rock crawling and need a Detroit/spool/Lincoln locker.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Rubicon axles will still only have 4.10 gears though so if you want more as most who need lockers do, that's an added cost as well. From that point the lockers are just an added parts cost since the new gears encompass all the same labor.
Sponsored