Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You have to be careful trying to fill in the missing items with aftermarket components. The wiring is usually not there for electrical components, and many are now CAN Bus controlled and not just a simple on/off switch. There are some items that you can only get factory installed. Determine exactly what you want, research what is possible to add afterwards, and be patient. You've waited this long, don't rush into a purchase you won't be happy with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
You have to be careful trying to fill in the missing items with aftermarket components. The wiring is usually not there for electrical components, and many are now CAN Bus controlled and not just a simple on/off switch. There are some items that you can only get factory installed. Determine exactly what you want, research what is possible to add afterwards, and be patient. You've waited this long, don't rush into a purchase you won't be happy with.
examples:
heated seats, or stereo or headlights im pretty sure i can do aftermarket but safety stuff nope. :D

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
The Mojave is likely what I would go for, if buying now. Get one with a factory installed Tow Package, so it has the enhanced cooling and the upgraded alternator. Don't settle, get one with everything you want on it. I purchased in July 2019 with the same thinking, it may be the last truck I buy. I have a fully loaded Overland. The only items missing, that I wanted, are the front camera and the block heater. At some point I will probably install the Zautomotive camera, and if I ever move north, I'll look at getting the block heater installed.
I'm not sure about the gas engines, but it was reported that the block heater on the diesels are installed, its really the cable that you are buying. Since the Diesel engines are made in Italy, they may just build every one with the heater installed. Somewhere on the forum, someone reported getting a block heater cable at NAPA for ~$20.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
examples:
heated seats, or stereo or headlights im pretty sure i can do aftermarket but safety stuff nope. :D
It all depends on what you want. Headlights are not an issue for aftermarket upgrades. Heated seats, might be difficult. If you want any of the remote functions, you'll have to stick with the 8.4 Uconnect and just do some audio component upgrades.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure about the gas engines, but it was reported that the block heater on the diesels are installed, its really the cable that you are buying. Since the Diesel engines are made in Italy, they may just build every one with the heater installed. Somewhere on the forum, someone reported getting a block heater cable at NAPA for ~$20.
Typically, diesels always came with a block heater, since cold weather is much more of an issue for them than for gasoline engines. They have just found another way to increase revenue. The block heater option for the diesel is just installing the required cord to plug it in. The block heater option for the gas engine includes installing the heater in the block cavity along with the required cord.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It all depends on what you want. Headlights are not an issue for aftermarket upgrades. Heated seats, might be difficult. If you want any of the remote functions, you'll have to stick with the 8.4 Uconnect and just do some audio component upgrades.
heated seats and 4.10/dana 44 are my two biggest, Gobi was another huge want but thats probably not going to happen.
remote start would just be a bonus. I dont care about nav or stereo but wouldnt turn it down if the deal was right.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Listen to what some guys are saying , go on jeep and build a Sport with max tow and build a Mojave. I did it a bunch of times and ended up building a awesome Mojave with heated seats tow package, 7.4 radio all good,some safety features some nope,no LED headlights I’m good with halogen in the snow. Selectrac AWD transfer case is something that you should consider. Then there is the window sticker with “Build for Beserker556” right at the top!

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Listen to what some guys are saying , go on jeep and build a Sport with max tow and build a Mojave. I did it a bunch of times and ended up building a awesome Mojave with heated seats tow package, 7.4 radio all goid, sone safety features some nope,no LED headlights I’m good with halogen in the snow. Selectrac AWD transfer case is something that you should consider. Then there is the window sticker with “Build for Beserker556” right at the top!
I do want the awd case that seems nice.
Im not opposed to building im really not.
I love the look of the hood and the wheel tire combo of the rubi/mojave but I like the utility of the max tow. I need to talk to a dealer and figure out lead times. Sadly the local one to me just seems to build really base auto with no options but hard top or a maxed out mojave/rubi. I need to keep it under 45k

I think what is pushing me off the build on the site thing is I cant tell what incentives I get back or what deals. All that stuff is just blank for me. I see msrp and mentally subtract 3-4k I guess. lol

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Glad you're getting close. You've been on this place almost as long as I have without buying one!

I finally bought one a week ago (Gator Rubicon) and am loving it.

Best of luck in your search! (from a fellow Kentuckian...)

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Glad you're getting close. You've been on this place almost as long as I have without buying one!

I finally bought one a week ago (Gator Rubicon) and am loving it.

Best of luck in your search!
thanks! Glad you got one!
Im patient but its running out.
How did you find gator! Gobi>gator>black/sting-gray in that order for me :D

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Using cars.com, autotrader.com

Gobi and Gators are getting scarce. Went to the D.C. area for it.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Using cars.com, autotrader.com

Gobi and Gators are getting scarce. Went to the D.C. area for it.
thats literally what Ive been doing, combing through cars.com hours a day lol
if I could find max tow heated seats in gobi within 300 miles at the right prices id go get it. lol

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was fortunate to find the almost exact set of options than if I had ordered one.

If I hadn't found a Gator I was prolly gonna buy something else entirely. I've been on the fence forever.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I was fortunate to find the almost exact set of options than if I had ordered one.

If I hadn't found a Gator I was prolly gonna buy something else entirely. I've been on the fence forever.
wow!

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Just my 2 cents - you should special order EXACTLY what you want - it will be worth the wait! All good things are worth the weight.

Also - I don't think JT's are the best towing vehicles. Not trying to start a war here but the JT is a compromise. I looked at stuff for 2 years and narrowed down to what I really wanted. Towing is something I do occasionally (deer camp, 3000lb small ski boat 10 weekends a year, Boy Scout Troop trailer (less than 2000lbs). You definitely need the Max Tow on Sport, or get a Rubicon fitted exactly the way you want. Or a Mojave (i don't know that much about them - I think they are basically a light Rubicon - less underbody protection and no front locker). The 3.6 is a bit light on power for highway towing. Are you considering the ecodiesel?

Sorry - lots of thoughts but I think you will be happiest doing all the research you want, making a list of your top priorities and then optioning a vehicle that ticks most or all of those boxes. Maybe it is a JT? Maybe it is Ram 1500 or Ford F150. Or something completely different.
Sponsored