Sponsored

What Axles does my 22 Sport S Diesel have?!

JinxyJ08

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Sting-Gray
Occupation
Data dude and Realtor.
Hello all!

First post but been around for a while. I need some help on determining what axles I have exactly?

Short story time...I sold my '21 Firecracker Red Rubicon gas then realized that was a trash decision, so I hunted down a smoke show deal on a 2022 Sting Gray Sport S Diesel. I LOVE this truck.

Now where I'm confused is which axles does the Diesel (specifically Sport S) have? Are they narrow like the gassers, or are they wide like the Rubi's and Max Tow's?

I appreciate the help as I am starting down the path of tires and what lift I will need. I hear 37's on a diesel is no big deal and runs fine, but wonder if 35's is the way to go.

Thanks in advance and the searches I did weren't quite definitive as I saw both answers in diff threads so I truly appreciate the help!
Sponsored

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
If you bought it new.. refer to the window sticker and the owners manual. go to Jeep.com and build it then select specifications.

OP
OP

JinxyJ08

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data dude and Realtor.
If you bought it new.. refer to the window sticker and the owners manual. go to Jeep.com and build it then select specifications.
I definitely went this route first. Not so clear here as to the Axle's exact specs and you can't get the Max Tow Package with the diesel so it is not definitive.

Example, neither the monroney sticker or the build list on Jeep's site say the Diesel has the stronger cast iron knuckles...but it does.

trizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Diesel
I definitely went this route first. Not so clear here as to the Axle's exact specs and you can't get the Max Tow Package with the diesel so it is not definitive.

Example, neither the monroney sticker or the build list on Jeep's site say the Diesel has the stronger cast iron knuckles...but it does.
They are regular Dana 44's. Rubicon and Max tow get the wide version. Maybe a couple others.

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
They are narrow like the gasser but they have the iron knuckles

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet or suspect most forum members already know all of this - but that link for the build sheets - it works for older Jeeps as well. I plugged in the VIN for my 2004 WJ and got the complete accurate build sheet for it.
(Putting this in just in case there's a newer person who didn't realize that link existed or that it will allow you to find info on most Jeep vehicles in the last couple of decades if you have the complete VIN)

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
You have heavy duty Dana 44 axles front and rear (not wide axles). 3.73 gears.

Sport S is available with Dana 44 wide axles with Max Tow option (on gas models).

From what I know, Diesel models do not have the Max Tow option.

OP
OP

JinxyJ08

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data dude and Realtor.
Thanks so much, I do appreciate it!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
You have heavy duty Dana 44 axles front and rear (not wide axles). 3.73 gears.

Sport S is available with Dana 44 wide axles with Max Tow option (on gas models).

From what I know, Diesel models do not have the Max Tow option.
Correct, diesels don’t have the max tow springs and not all have the wide axles.

The diesels do have the upgraded cooling and electrical/alternator like the max tow.

Rubicon diesels and some other trim diesels do have the wide axles. Just not the springs that come on a max tow, I believe.

If we could cool our diesels better, we’d have the same tow rating, if not higher.
Stupid hot diesels! :(

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Correct, diesels don’t have the max tow springs and not all have the wide axles.

The diesels do have the upgraded cooling and electrical/alternator like the max tow.

Rubicon diesels and some other trim diesels do have the wide axles. Just not the springs that come on a max tow, I believe.

If we could cool our diesels better, we’d have the same tow rating, if not higher.
Stupid hot diesels! :(

Cooling is easy. fully delete all EPA garbage and put a huge oil cooler in the bed with fans.

Done.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cooling is easy. fully delete all EPA garbage and put a huge oil cooler in the bed with fans.

Done.
I can see a 6' tall chiller tower in the back of someone's Gladiator, water running down it, big squirrel cages forcing air through the fins.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see a 6' tall chiller tower in the back of someone's Gladiator, water running down it, big squirrel cages forcing air through the fins.
I was thinking

Jeep Gladiator What Axles does my 22 Sport S Diesel have?! 1653577379624

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That'll work and it looks cool, too.
Im going to start with a small lift and 38s. If i really end up wheeling this and loving the diesel maybe ill go full crazy. Right now its nice having a jeep that can tow my 52 cj3a off the towbar easily.
Sponsored