Sponsored

What is the best navigation set-up using android tablets?

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I am just getting into overlanding and want to use a Samsung tablet for navigation purposes. I understand the tablet has to have GPS but not necessarily cellular connection which is fine by me. I would love to know which tablets are being used and which ones to avoid. I am familiarizing myself with the Gaia ap and understand I have to download the maps for the area I want to explore since I will have no cellular internet access. I just need to know which android tablets have GPS built into them and will work without internet connection.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
you're going down the right path with the samsungs, I believe most of their tablets from the last several years have built-in GPS. I'd personally be going for one of their nicer models so you get a nicer (brighter) screen that's got better visibility in daylight in case you have the top off. I can't list model #'s that are GPS enabled, but when in doubt just go onto samsung's site and check the product page, it should confirm GPS capability on there. A lot of this will also depend on how large of a screen you want; this is only something you'll be able to settle on based off how close it'll be to you in the vehicle, your eyesight, what resolution you run the tablet at, etc.

NorthEast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (model T510) that I'm planning to use for maps. It has a GPS that can be used without an internet connection. I've installed Gaia and it seems to work just fine.

OP
OP
BajaDrifter

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (model T510) that I'm planning to use for maps. It has a GPS that can be used without an internet connection. I've installed Gaia and it seems to work just fine.
Thanks for the info!

martinvince4544

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Parado
Occupation
Student
Your Android tablet can do many things, as well as act as navigator. Finding something is only half the job. The other half is getting there, or sending someone else there, if it's an unpleasant place. Your Android tablet is ever-ready, thanks to the various direction and navigation features nestled in the Maps app.
Sponsored