Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Texas Trail
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you going for Go Topless Weekend this year? I'm heading down to Surfside instead of Crystal Beach. After last year's ****show, I don't want to be anywhere near a bunch of kids in F-250s and side-by-sides. Supposedly, Surfside is going to be a little bit calmer due to not allowing ATVs and SxS on the beach (vehicles only) and hopefully, it will be a more mature, family oriented event.
Sponsored

TxSmitty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My family used to go to GTW at Crystal Beach every year with our family and friends that all have jeeps. We didn't go the last two years because it turned into "Rednecks with Paychecks". The last time we went, a drunk lady in a mini van drove behind our jeeps in the water about 1.5' deep in the water where my children were swimming. There were by far more trucks, side by sides and cars on the beach than jeeps. It was ridiculous and what used to be a great event turned into an embarrassing thing to witness. Last year I heard there were over 200 arrests and a couple people shot.

I would love to do Surfside!

Here are some pic from the glory days. This was in 1 of the 3 JKUs I've owned lol. It was a 10A and my second rubicon. Loved that thing. We went in my other 2013 JKU one year also. My kids used to talk about "Jeepfest" all year. They couldn't wait to go. Sad how good things get ruined by stupid people.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversay Gladiator
We will be at Crystal Beach only because my wife's cousin has a beach house. It will be our first year, we have been to Dayton bike weeks several times so hopefully we will not be too surprised.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
I've always cautioned people when it comes to this event... it's definitely not family friendly anymore (at least not on Crystal Beach).

That being said, I have some friends that are planning on making the trip down to South Padre... considering going that route.

Edit... hopefully my RTT will be here by then.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Confirmed... we are going to go down to South Padre for the weekend. Should be a good time. I've been told that it's WAY more low key down there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ted Striker

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick update, me and my local Jeep club will be near Beach Access 1 at Surfside Beach. There will be a DJ booth, stage, dance competition and some vendors set up around this area too. Southfork CDJR is also giving away a set of wheels, tires and Mopar lift and some other vendors are giving away things as well. This is definitely a family oriented event and will be different from what is going on/has been going on at Crystal Beach.

If you see my Gladiator out there, feel free to stop by and introduce yourself and hang out with us. Gonna be a good time.

Gladwb21

First Name
Terrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave 2021
That sounds cool! Was looking for a alternative. Just hope the wind calms down this weekend. Spent most of the day Sunday doing clean up from Saturdays trip to the beach.

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Just a quick update, me and my local Jeep club will be near Beach Access 1 at Surfside Beach. There will be a DJ booth, stage, dance competition and some vendors set up around this area too. Southfork CDJR is also giving away a set of wheels, tires and Mopar lift and some other vendors are giving away things as well. This is definitely a family oriented event and will be different from what is going on/has been going on at Crystal Beach.

If you see my Gladiator out there, feel free to stop by and introduce yourself and hang out with us. Gonna be a good time.
I really hope they get this event cleaned up a bit... I would be awesome to be able to attend this stuff right in our backyard!

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really hope they get this event cleaned up a bit... I would be awesome to be able to attend this stuff right in our backyard!
Well I am not holding my breathe we are still going down only because of where the house is located that we are staying at. I will try and update daily I should be on Crystal Beach by noon on Friday!

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Well I am not holding my breathe we are still going down only because of where the house is located that we are staying at. I will try and update daily I should be on Crystal Beach by noon on Friday!
Be safe out there. I'll report on how South Padre goes... it's supposed to be a lot more laid back.

Sponsored

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well we are here with our other Village Idiot Jeep Club members
Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? 20210514_101534
Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? 20210514_101604

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Friday was kinda slow I would say PG rated. Seems more side by sides and golf carts than Jeeps. Here are a few pictures.
Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? 20210514_110927
Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? 20210514_111005
Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? 20210514_131700

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
If you're in South Padre Island, eat at Louie's Backyard for me !

OP
OP
Ted Striker

Ted Striker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well, as usual, Crystal Beach GTW turned into a complete ****show. Just way too many side-by-sides, jacked up trucks, and kids that don't know how to hold their liquor or have a good time without getting sloppy drunk or fighting.

Meanwhile...down at Surfside Beach, it was a fantastic event. Absolutely none to very little of the above mentioned things happened down there. Everyone was chill and laid back and the organizers put on a great event, not to mention a heavy police presence that helped keep everything in check. The best part was that I would say it was about 90% Jeeps on the beach on Friday and Saturday. I'll definitely be going back to Surfside next year and staying away from all the drama a Crystal Beach.

Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? OcGQgr6h

Jeep Gladiator What's everyone's plans for GTW? 1NKwp02h

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, as usual, Crystal Beach GTW turned into a complete ****show. Just way too many side-by-sides, jacked up trucks, and kids that don't know how to hold their liquor or have a good time without getting sloppy drunk or fighting.

Meanwhile...down at Surfside Beach, it was a fantastic event. Absolutely none to very little of the above mentioned things happened down there. Everyone was chill and laid back and the organizers put on a great event, not to mention a heavy police presence that helped keep everything in check. The best part was that I would say it was about 90% Jeeps on the beach on Friday and Saturday. I'll definitely be going back to Surfside next year and staying away from all the drama a Crystal Beach.

Ted I agree 100% Friday was not terrible but Sat went to hell in a handbasket. If someone didn't know it was Jeep weekend they would have thought it was spring break.
Sponsored