Sponsored

Wheels Australia Tests Jeep Gladiator against 10 other Utes.

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave
Vey interesting. It always goes back to the old saying...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder" None can compare to the Gladiator/Jeep, we are in a class of our own.
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Vey interesting. It always goes back to the old saying...."beauty is in the eye of the beholder" None can compare to the Gladiator/Jeep, we are in a class of our own.
It certainly stands out against the rest of these trucks.

CaughtInTrouble

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
Bit late on this thread, however, being from Oz, the GR comes from the factory with MT tyres. The Hilux is by far the most common Ute/Truck here because it has by far the best service in remote areas.
Iā€™ve taken a chance to buy the GR as there are only a few hundred in the country and Jeep have terrible customer service reportedly. Hopefully I have no issues, love the look and it is a capable and fun ute. If it was for work, there are much better options.
Youā€™ll also have noticed from the review, a Jeep is a big Ute in Australia. Itā€™s very long and doesnā€™t fit in car parks.
Unlike the US, there are very few large utes about, they are very expensive here. We pay luxury sales tax above 70k Aud at 33% so it adds a massive markup once you go above it. Killing the expensive car market. Funny thing is, we donā€™t even make cars in Australia anymore so Iā€™m not sure what industry we are protecting.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Bit late on this thread, however, being from Oz, the GR comes from the factory with MT tyres. The Hilux is by far the most common Ute/Truck here because it has by far the best service in remote areas.
Iā€™ve taken a chance to buy the GR as there are only a few hundred in the country and Jeep have terrible customer service reportedly. Hopefully I have no issues, love the look and it is a capable and fun ute. If it was for work, there are much better options.
Youā€™ll also have noticed from the review, a Jeep is a big Ute in Australia. Itā€™s very long and doesnā€™t fit in car parks.
Unlike the US, there are very few large utes about, they are very expensive here. We pay luxury sales tax above 70k Aud at 33% so it adds a massive markup once you go above it. Killing the expensive car market. Funny thing is, we donā€™t even make cars in Australia anymore so Iā€™m not sure what industry we are protecting.
Wow, a 33% tax!! Holy carp! Whatā€™s the thought behind that luxury tax? they trying to soak the rich I suppose?

Ozian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUS, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, a 33% tax!! Holy carp! Whatā€™s the thought behind that luxury tax? they trying to soak the rich I suppose?
Pretty much. Taxes and ā€œstamp dutiesā€ here are boggling, and purely money for jam to the governments (state and federal). With the 2021 model they upped the GVMR so that it now fits into the ā€œcommercial vehicleā€ category so the lux tax doesnā€™t apply. Too late for me, but wouldnā€™t have been able to get the Gator color if I had waited. Cars/trucks/utes are expensive over here (Iā€™m a Canadian expat) but you adjust. šŸ˜¬ My fully loaded JTR stickered at AUS$96,500 (yes, you read that rightā€¦ nearly US$70,000 including tax, but I got it for a bit under AUS$90,000) and Iā€™ve thrown an additional AUS$10,000+ into it since. Donā€™t regret it for a minute though!!! šŸ’øšŸ’øšŸ’øšŸ¤£

Jeeps have a bad rap over here, but mostly just due to ignorance and a strangely strong loyalty to Toyota Hilux, Landcruiser and Nissan Patrols (despite their propensity to shatter CVs, snap driveshafts, blow turbos and lunch clutches/transmissions). I take a lot of joy in conquering the same obstacles as those in my Gladiator and previous JKUS with finesse and control after most I wheel with have to use the ā€œfull sendā€ method in their built up Japanese equivalents. Iā€™ve converted a few others along the way. šŸ˜šŸ’Ŗ
Jeep Gladiator Wheels Australia Tests Jeep Gladiator against 10 other Utes. C7776576-6A08-4F37-A842-BE895E46A20D

Sponsored

Ozian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUS, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Iā€™ve taken a chance to buy the GR as there are only a few hundred in the country and Jeep have terrible customer service reportedly. Hopefully I have no issues, love the look and it is a capable and fun ute.
Congrats on your Jeep GR! Maybe Iā€˜ve been lucky, but my local Jeep dealer has been great (sales, parts and service). Iā€™ve been dealing with them for over 7 years and 2 Jeeps (Brisbane northside) and theyā€˜ve always been friendly, helpful and competent. Always get a free loaner when I get a service done, and now I know the desk staff they make sure I get something fun or interesting to drive (new VW GTI last service!). Hope that you get a similar experience with your dealer!

Byrnesy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
CIT not picking a fight just some points to consider from my perspective...

The Gladiator isnt big in Australia. I just sold my RAM 1500 Laramie (lifted and running 35s to buy my Gladiator) The Ram is big. But only in the domain of length. A RAM 1500 is 7mm, just over 1/4", wider than the 200 Series Landcruiser.
On length and parking I could park the RAM in most cark parks, including shopping centres and underground provided I had the height. Which became a much bigger issue once I fitted the 35s. I just changed my approach to parking and always backed into parking spot and mainly where there wasn't another row behind me.

This is super easy in both the RAMs and the Gladiators given the great rear cameras that are are fitted to them.

And yes the luxury car tax is bullshit. But it is not applied to commercial vehicles that being utes.

Haven't watched the review yet looking forward to advertising influenced journalism. LOL

On another point on the Toyota reliability. And for context I have owned a 60 Series and 80 Series Landcruiser, '97 Hilux, Pajero, JKU, Suzuki Grand Vitara and RAM 1500. All good vehicles with varying strengths and weaknesses. Thus far the vehicle I enjoyed most was the JKU CRD.

Toyota was pretty much alone on reliability, due to quality twenty years ago. They have somewhat dropped the ball on that in the last decade where many have caught up and maybe passed them.
And yes they have a great dealer network around the country. But the advent of smartphones, internet and OBD Scan tools makes it very easy to fault find.
And yes now the problem becomes getting the parts can become a problem and the internet helps here. Yet Toyota are still lacking here in some very surprising areas. Case in point 3 months ago the property owner where I hunt had his two year old Hilux serviced by the local dealer (Upper Hunter Valley, New South Wales, so not remote) He mentioned on booking it in four weeks earlier that it had a leaking rear diff pinion seal. The dealer did not have the seal on hand to replace.
Sponsored