Sponsored

Which transfer case is best?

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I'm referring to a stock Bronco with the Sasquatch package (f/r lockers, swaybar disconnect, 35" tires) vs a stock Rubicon. I think the Bronco would perform as well off road as the Jeep.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the manual trans JTR and the 4:1 Rubicon transfer case is a blessing for me. I am running 37" tires with 5:13 gears. I live on the West coast and we do lots of rocks and boulders. 1st and 2nd gear low lock are key to success. We ran "The Rubicon Trail" last year, and I was in 1st gear, low lock, granny gear for 2 days straight. It also really saves the clutch, you can run with the clutch out, just using the gas and brake most of the time -- unless you actually have to come to a dead stop for over a fraction of a second.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Check this Tacoma out - Marlin Crawler. He is running over 530 to 1 gear ratio with reduction transfer cases. He gets out and lets it crawl up the tub by itself... lol, pretty cool. Also a stick shift truck. There is another shot earlier in the video where he does the same thing up a ledge.

Last edited:

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Just stumbled over this thread. Interesting takes for sure.

This however I noticed and don't think anyone commented on
that with 4hi, unless you get stuck in the mud, then change it to 4lo
With the type of transfercases we have and the type of lockers (Rubicon) we have on the JTs you do not wait to get stuck to change anything. You want to drive and look and anticipate down the trail. Engage it before you need it. If you think you might, just do it.
You should roll at a very low speed engaging 4l, if your stuck and a bit unlucky you will not be able to engage 4l, and the lockers may also not engage when you are already stuck. That is why some folks really spend a lot of time and energy with things like airlockers and aftermarket offroad transfercases,

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Don't discount the Power Wagon. Owning one for 14 years. Doing about 75% of the trails in Moab and 90% of the trails in Rausch Creek with it. It has impressed me. Love the comments I get about it back in some tight trails. "Hell in the HELL did you get that beast back here?" LOL

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just stumbled over this thread. Interesting takes for sure.

This however I noticed and don't think anyone commented on

With the type of transfercases we have and the type of lockers (Rubicon) we have on the JTs you do not wait to get stuck to change anything. You want to drive and look and anticipate down the trail. Engage it before you need it. If you think you might, just do it.
You should roll at a very low speed engaging 4l, if your unstuck and a bit unlucky you will not be able to engage 4l, and the lockers may also not engage when you are already stuck. That is why some folks really spend a lot of time and energy with things like airlockers and aftermarket offroad transfercases,
yes, this is a good practice... Backing down big hills is not fun. For example, if it is a steep long hill with a straight shot and lots of ruts and big rocks, I go to 4 low and lock both axles. if it is a steep hill with good grip and lots boulders and tight turns, I may just go to 4 low and lock the rear because turning with good grip with the front lockers on can be problematic - and if you get wedged in, you may not be able to unlock the front easily. At "The Rubicon Trail", I was in 1st gear, 4 low the whole way with the rear locker on. I was constantly turning on and off my front locker depending on the turns. There are many tight Rocky turns for Gladiators on this trail that just cannot be negotiated with the front locker on. You may have to turn the front locker on to get up a specific boulder and then quickly turn it off to negotiate a tight turn. Lots of fun !

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Don't discount the Power Wagon. Owning one for 14 years. Doing about 75% of the trails in Moab and 90% of the trails in Rausch Creek with it. It has impressed me. Love the comments I get about it back in some tight trails. "Hell in the HELL did you get that beast back here?" LOL
Tight I could see, where I would hate the girth of the power wagon is on the alpine loop stuff. The gladiator gives me a great feel for wheel placement having the fronts out near the corners and being able to look out the window and see the sidewall. Bumping some trees is one thing, rolling down a mountain sucks.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Tight I could see, where I would hate the girth of the power wagon is on the alpine loop stuff. The gladiator gives me a great feel for wheel placement having the fronts out near the corners and being able to look out the window and see the sidewall. Bumping some trees is one thing, rolling down a mountain sucks.
Yeah. With the PW. You have 1 maybe 2 lines to chose from. With the JT and it's smaller size. You have more lines to chose from.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Check this Tacoma out - Marlin Crawler. He is running over 530 to 1 gear ratio with reduction transfer cases. He gets out and lets it crawl up the tub by itself... lol, pretty cool. Also a stick shift truck. There is another shot earlier in the video where he does the same thing up a ledge.

Anyone ever notice that Toyota guys seem to have a standard look about them? Like, they just look like Toyota guys.
Sponsored