Sponsored

Will changing my own oil void the warranty?

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I believe I was the one that recommended using Mopar parts.
Although not required, it’s one less reason for a denial of claim. Which I might add are very few and far between.
As for as a dealer not wanting to do a warranty repair, that may due to the fact that warranty repairs pay less than non warranty repairs. (Shop rate). They must be pretty flush with business in that case and are doing nothing positive for there reputation.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can do your own oil and filter changes with the Jeep app account and on your phone you can log the oil change and other maintenance for a record. That's what I have been doing, with that I have a log from oil testing from Blackstone Lab. I've got a log on my Jeeps for fuel and maintenance on paper, now I've been lucky for not needing much on warranty service with any of my Jeeps. So you can take that for what you have paid for it.👍
"Why I buy and drive Jeep I don't need a warranty. 😉"

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
... And I'll give another example where technically I could have been held culpable. Had an Infiniti with a defective brake caliper. I had given the brake pads a cursory look a few times, but did not discover that the inner brake pad was wearing much faster than the outer. Ultimately at ~30k miles, the inner pad wore down to the metal and chewed up the rotor, while the outer pad (the one with the "squeal" bar) had plenty of liner left. Had I periodically properly inspected both pads, I would have saved the dealer from replacing the rotor. There was some push back at first because brake pads clearly were not covered in the warranty, but I convinced them that the caliper had to be defective for such wear. In the end they replaced the caliper, pads and rotor under warranty.

The vehicle had never previously been to them for any maintenance and I was never even questioned if or what maintenance I had done elsewhere.
My LJ has that as a issue for the rear brake disk of wearing the inside pads more... On first set of pads but not that low of milage.😉

polarisTXguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, F350, Boss 302, Mini, Ram1500
Occupation
Polaris Industires
I’m a records nerd! I keep track of every maintenance via hard copy receipt, photo of the actual filter and oil plus shot of the mileage. I’m the over changer on in my 3rd oil change and two dif changes One at the gear change and one at 500 miles after break in.

I save it on my computer and update the Jeep App that tracks maintenance.

Jeep Gladiator Will changing my own oil void the warranty? 40C1D705-2099-4AB8-A2C9-5C046B51B324

Jeep Gladiator Will changing my own oil void the warranty? 2F9613C7-569C-4636-9AA1-1B7F66AB6B24
Sponsored