Sponsored

Winch How To

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Sry not trying to nitpick. just bored.

I'm right in the middle of the island, north shore. Not far from port jeff ferry. where are you?
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Nesconset.

And don't worry as a construction PM it's my job to nit pick. I feel things like this you learn best by doing and getting constructive feedback. Yeah my side loaded shackle is begging to throw it through the windshield but I don't use anything less than a 3/4" shackle to ensure that the WLL is always much higher than what I'm doing. Yeah the smaller shackles sure are cheaper but I don't ever want to break one.

Side note to the guys who have never really used their winches, play with them. Set up rigging and see how it does and get a feel for how much rope is consumed in a multiple sheave pull. Toy with the effects of using sheaves to work around objects. Do it at home where you are safe and dry before you are out on a trail and the winch is the difference between sleeping in the cab and sleeping in your own bed. Poor or overloaded rigging can potentially break and that can lead to smashed equipment on the light end and dead people on the heavy end.

Ronny Dahl does a good job of showing what happens when bad things happen.