First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Technician
I have read countless reviews, opinions, pros, cons and almost everything in between. I have not been able to find the answer I have been looking for. How long should I expect a winch to last?
I haven't purchased one yet but I know I need one. I wheel on the occasional weekend and I try not to break anything expensive. So far I haven't needed a winch but I also would like to push it a little more. I know the many opinions on buying cheap vs buying reliable. What are the differences in average life expectancy? Ballpark maybe.
Sponsored

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I think theAverage is 75... some go longer. That’s why guys give up a little earlier.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It is a mechanical device. Lifespan is affected by use and abuse. It could last fifty years, and it could fail in less than five. Follow the maintenance instructions in the manual, and it should last the life of the Jeep, unless it suffers damage from an accident. Be sure to get a cover if it has synthetic line, the UV rays are rough on it.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I had an old Warn XD9000i winch on my TJ. I bought it used from a friend that came off a YJ he bought to fix up and flip. It was at least 10 years older than my 2004 TJ, if not more. I bought it because my first ever winch (Smittybilt XRC8000) broke on me during a pull within a year.
I was surprised at how well that old Warn did. It was fast, and quiet compared to the Smitty. It freespooled effortlessly. The Smitty was hard to free spool, was slow, and always sounded like it had gravel in it. That old Warn never failed me with frequent and sometimes very demanding use over the years. It is still going strong on the TJ I sold to a friend. I should of kept them both!

OP
OP

XxShaggzxX

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Technician
Thanks for the replies. I think you all have confirmed what I was thinking. Machines will last if you treat them correctly.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Keep the winch clean, take care of the cable. I have a Ramsey 9500 Patriot on a 2003 F250, installed when the truck was new. It is faded the cover has a little corrosion but it works like new.
Sponsored