Winter Tires

Dew.J

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I’m not finding the wild peak M/Ts to be all that great on snowy roads. The back bumper wants to see what the front bumper is up too all to often. I put some sand bags in the back but doesn’t seem to help. What is everyone else in snow country riding on? I’m sure the M/Ts would do great in deep snow, but that’s not what’s on the roads most the time here in the twin cities.
Sponsored

Mikey_89

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have the Falken M/T as well on my Rubicon. I was just doing some off-roading last weekend in some snow, probably 8-10 inches. The tires actually did really well... I did get stuck once going up a steep hill, but I found out that I was really stuck on some icy rocks. My buddies rig, a Nissan Xterra with Nitto Terra Grapplers went right up and over though. I just ordered some 315x70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers tonight and can't wait to try them out. Seen a lot of good reviews and I have had Nitto tires before and loved them.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT’s.
Takeoffs from an Overland truck. 255/70/18.
The full set of wheels and tires cost $600.
Absolutely fantastic for “normal” winter driving.

OP
OP

Dew.J

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
My Liberty had Goodyear wranglers and it was like it was on rails on snowy roads. Definitely don’t get that feeling with the M/Ts. Granted those were all season tires. I’m gonna play with the tire pressure some see if that helps. I’ve had mine at 37 and I think it’s to high. We’ll see.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Nokian LT3 studded. They're amazing.
I am also on Nokian LT2 studded. The LT2 is the older version of the LT3. You have never known excellent winter traction until you drive on a true winter tire. Whether it is Nokian, Blizzak, or some other winter tire. We've been running Nokian in my family for years. The LT tires are for light trucks, the Hakkapeliitta line is for cars and light SUVs. Nokian makes both studded and non-studded winter tires. Not everyone needs a true winter tire, but if you live somewhere where you have consistent winter conditions for 5-6 months, winter tires are the way to go.

Just for kicks, watch an Audi RS6 drive 208 miles per hour on ice running Nokian Hakkapeliittas:

I ran the Hakkapeliitta on my RS4, and that thing drove like it was on rails in the worst winter conditions.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Duratracs did well in -1 temps on hard pack snow. Did well in 7” fresh powder.
They handled snow on top of ice and did the slush well, too.

Will they perform like a true winter only tire? Nope.

So far they have been the best “jack-of-all-trades” I’ve ever had.

I’ve been a long time fan of BFG MT and KOs, but am now a convert to duratracs.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I am a big fan of the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. We purchased them for the wife's Ranger as we found the tires that came stock on that were horrible in the rain.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised that my Rubicon came with the same tires in 33's. In the pictures on the website, I was able to make out the Falk on the AT picture, and took a chance, this would be the case. WOOT.

As such, I am super happy since Winter has just begun here.
For an AT tire, they are very "Mean" looking, so they check off that as well.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I’m not finding the wild peak M/Ts to be all that great on snowy roads. The back bumper wants to see what the front bumper is up too all to often. I put some sand bags in the back but doesn’t seem to help. What is everyone else in snow country riding on? I’m sure the M/Ts would do great in deep snow, but that’s not what’s on the roads most the time here in the twin cities.
If you are interested in new take-off 33" Wildpeak A/T's on factory Mojave wheels, I will be switching mine out on day one when I pick up my new JT in the coming weeks. These are the six spoke all black Mojave wheels and LT285/70R17 Falkens. The lesser aggressive A/T's will be better in winter conditions. A nice upgrade for a Sport. I will be including the TPMS as well. $1000 for all four. I am an hour away from you in NW Wisconsin. PM me if interested.

DQQSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Ecodiesel
Occupation
Sprinkler Fitter
Studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3. Much better at turning than the studded Firestone Winterforce I had on my JK. As a bonus, they're also much quieter on cleared highways.
Jeep Gladiator Winter Tires PXL_20201130_220659407
Hakkapeliitta… the myth and the legend all in one.
Sponsored