Sponsored

Working on a Katzkin install today and need some help.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 95 Tacoma, 09 Cayman S
Occupation
Horses
The leather is just so much better.

We debated getting the Rubicon embroidery but didn't. I don't have strong feelings either way but I'm happy with the almost final results.

IMG_20200517_183810409.jpg

IMG_20200517_183804642.jpg
Sponsored

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Thanks for sharing. I believe only the drivers seat has an airbag. Something to consider.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
Thanks for sharing. I believe only the drivers seat has an airbag. Something to consider.
Ours has airbags on both sides, as I now know intimately after spending an entire day taking apart the passenger side seat. Can't speak to your truck though.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
So when you're putting the leather back on the headrests that have two long clips and two short ones one on each side, do the short sides first or you'll be there all day.

Ask me how I know.

Stew_Fri

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
I’m a dummy that’s about to go through this abuse. I’m just waiting for them to arrive in the mail. This will be my first leather install

Sponsored

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
I’m a dummy that’s about to go through this abuse. I’m just waiting for them to arrive in the mail. This will be my first leather install
I hope you have help. One very strong and mechanically inclined person might be able to do it but it'd be four times worse. This was our first upholstery and we got it done without any huge blunders but it's a big job.

Start with the 40 backseat, then the 60, then front passenger, then front driver. The larger two headrests in the back are difficult to remove, but not impossible. You have to find the clips and turn them to 12:00. Don't cut them off.

Someone said you can use zip ties instead of hog rings. I'm sure that's true but it would be more difficult and not save money so don't.

When redoing the front seats, you have to do the rings from the top down, not side to side. So all the rings highest up, sides and middle, then work down.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
The way these two clips are crossed is important. This is at both lower corners of the back side of both front seats. If you don't memorize it or take a picture you will not remember how it goes when it's time.

Pay attention to how many bolts or clips you're pulling out - not every hole had a clip in it.

Save all the plastic from your existing seats; Katzkin doesn't send hardware.

You will reuse the nice plastic backs from your original seats. This is good and looks really nice when you're done.

IMG_20200519_220127_01.jpg

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
The baby bracket cups unclip from the bar that runs through them. Shine a light in there and you'll see.

You have to cut your own holes for them - you'll end up cutting a lot of your own holes. Have a good sharp box cutter and don't cut until the leather is in place.

IMG_20200516_142219229_HDR.jpg

Chinman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
This is what made me order prp covers instead of buying the leather off of eBay.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
This is what made me order prp covers instead of buying the leather off of eBay.
I mean, yeah, covers are way easier. But the time we spent on this would have passed by now anyway, and the leather looks so slick.

Sponsored

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I mean, yeah, covers are way easier. But the time we spent on this would have passed by now anyway, and the leather looks so slick.
Yea. I went Bartract because this is going to turn into a work truck soon, but the Katzkins are really nice. Plus you have that little horse so....who's better than you? :like:

Stew_Fri

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
The way these two clips are crossed is important. This is at both lower corners of the back side of both front seats. If you don't memorize it or take a picture you will not remember how it goes when it's time.

Pay attention to how many bolts or clips you're pulling out - not every hole had a clip in it.

Save all the plastic from your existing seats; Katzkin doesn't send hardware.

You will reuse the nice plastic backs from your original seats. This is good and looks really nice when you're done.

IMG_20200519_220127_01.jpg
Thanks for all the help
I hope you have help. One very strong and mechanically inclined person might be able to do it but it'd be four times worse. This was our first upholstery and we got it done without any huge blunders but it's a big job.

Start with the 40 backseat, then the 60, then front passenger, then front driver. The larger two headrests in the back are difficult to remove, but not impossible. You have to find the clips and turn them to 12:00. Don't cut them off.

Someone said you can use zip ties instead of hog rings. I'm sure that's true but it would be more difficult and not save money so don't.

When redoing the front seats, you have to do the rings from the top down, not side to side. So all the rings highest up, sides and middle, then work down.
Thanks for your help! It will be just me but I’ll definitely refer back to this thread for help. It’s gonna be rough but I can’t wait to have leather. I went with the dark saddle brown/tan leather.

cobra935o

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Hydro, 2004 Porsche 911 40th AE, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1974 Porsche 911 Targa, 1965 Mustang Fastback.
Occupation
Retired Air Force, AFJROTC Instructor
They look super wrinkly, hope that works itself out.

kndrewa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 XJ, 2015 A3
That was a weird little horse comment. Nice info in this thread, and the monologue style - it's almost like you're talking to your therapist - lol. But I like it. Saw goonzquad on YouTube do leather like this and also get sore hands but your thread here is more informative.

OP
OP
Keila

Keila

First Name
Keila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Horses
Thanks for all the help

Thanks for your help! It will be just me but I’ll definitely refer back to this thread for help. It’s gonna be rough but I can’t wait to have leather. I went with the dark saddle brown/tan leather.
Dude you're going to be so pissed at yourself. So many times.

But at the end you're going to have custom leather seats, so.
Sponsored