Sponsored

Would you buy a Bestop soft top if available?

Would you buy a Bestop Soft top

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
We were discussing this in another thread. This isn’t a debate, it’s not hard top vs soft top vs sun rider. Simply, if @Bestop made a top that was cheaper than the Mopar one but functioned the same, would you be in? I’m curious if their aversion to offering one is their preconceived lack of demand.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Wouldn’t be surprised if they made the soft top for Jeep. Isn’t the Jeep/Mopar Sunrider made by Bestop?
They do make the oem top. But they always have, and yet they've always made cheaper aftermarket ones too (like on the JL). The OE soft top on my TJ was best top. But they also made some lower end ones for aftermarket replacement.
Maybe our market share is just too low? I keep holding out hope for something soon

Last edited:

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
100% will buy a Best Top Soft Top and I know they can design one without the man bun. It is not that I don’t like the man bun look so much as it will get in the way of my next mod for the RTT.

I am trying to keep this big a JB on the truck and be able to use a soft top in the summer (I love my JB because it is, quiet in the wind, hard shell, easy to deploy and pack, large and comfortable).

I am having the mounting for my JB RTT built so that it hinges in the rear and the front of RTT mount will rise using electric actuators to tilt the front up about a foot (still figuring this out). Then I can remove the hard top and put on the soft top with removing my RTT. The only issue currently is the factory man bun. It will be in the way.

I am also having the RCR rack modified to have a rear lift gate like a camper topper only just the frame. Then having a local boat top manufacturer build panels for each side out of waterproof canvas to seal the rack and bed from water. This will also even in the no canvas panel configuration make it hard to steel anything out of the locked tailgate and rear hinges frame.

the canvas can also be unzipped or velcroed or both to enable reaching into the bed.

I know the new RCR rack allows a best top bed soft topper to go on underneath the rack. I just don’t like the box look of the RCR truck rack. I like the angled sides. The room in front of the rack will get a fresh water tank installed between the cab and the rack filling up that space.

OP
OP
Challenger85

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
They do make the oem top. But they always have, and yet they've always made cheaper aftermarket ones too (like on the JL). The OE soft top on my TJ was best top. But they also made some lower end ones for aftermarket replacement.
Maybe our market share is just too low? I keep holding out hope for something soon
Yep that’s what makes no sense. The only way to get one is to show them we want one. @Bestop

I will give you my gladiator! I live very close to you.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I don’t think it’s market share issue, but an actual demand issue. Toss out the vocal minority here and what’s the real demand?

Most of the JT’s I see around town have the freedom top panels installed when it’s 70-85* and no chance of rain.

You have those folks, the ones that got a soft top at delivery, and the ones that are rolling with a Sunrider and love it or those that just pretty much leave the freedom panels off and get rained on regularly. I.e. me 🤣

If they made a batch of 1,000 soft tops to sell separate from Mopar/Jeep, I bet they’d end up having to heavily discount a bunch of them just to unload them.

OP
OP
Challenger85

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I don’t think it’s market share issue, but an actual demand issue. Toss out the vocal minority here and what’s the real demand?

Most of the JT’s I see around town have the freedom top panels installed when it’s 70-85* and no chance of rain.

You have those folks, the ones that got a soft top at delivery, and the ones that are rolling with a Sunrider and love it or those that just pretty much leave the freedom panels off and get rained on regularly. I.e. me 🤣

If they made a batch of 1,000 soft tops to sell separate from Mopar/Jeep, I bet they’d end up having to heavily discount a bunch of them just to unload them.
I don’t think that’s the case, If they were offered they would sell. Most of the wranglers I see in Colorado with soft tops are fully up too. I know they’re Bestop tops too because they’re the slant back.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
I don’t think that’s the case, If they were offered they would sell. Most of the wranglers I see in Colorado with soft tops are fully up too. I know they’re Bestop tops too because they’re the slant back.
I get it. You want one. 🤣 Who’s to say they won’t offer one at some point.

My position though is that they analyzed the Gladiator owner demographic, determined that the Sunrider would meet the bulk of the demand, and that if you REALLY want a soft top and can afford to buy a ~$50K vehicle, you’d pull a few bucks from your booze and cigar budget and go down to the dealer and order one.

OP
OP
Challenger85

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I get it. You want one. 🤣 Who’s to say they won’t offer one at some point.

My position though is that they analyzed the Gladiator owner demographic, determined that the Sunrider would meet the bulk of the demand, and that if you REALLY want a soft top and can afford to buy a ~$50K vehicle, you’d pull a few bucks from your booze and cigar budget and go down to the dealer and order one.
Fair enough. It’s not really even a money issue, I can buy one if I want. I just don’t want to spend 2K on a top I don’t absolutely love. It’s a Jeep, I find it weird the aftermarket isn’t very good for us.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Fair enough. It’s not really even a money issue, I can buy one if I want. I just don’t want to spend 2K on a top I don’t absolutely love. It’s a Jeep, I find it weird the aftermarket isn’t very good for us.
I agree. Lucky for us, most wrangler stuff fits. But this is one of the few cases where it doesn't

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Looking at Jeep accessories from an economics standpoint…economy of scale (a proportionate saving in costs gained by an increased level of production)…I think there are going to be a lot of accessories that would have been easily to field affordably for a Wrangler, but won’t be for the Gladiator.

Anything that Is going to be a “one off” for the Gladiator is likely going to be more expensive.

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
They will probably come out with a tan one soon since I caved and bought a new soft top last spring.
I was in the same boat waiting for a tan bestop. I caved and bought a used factory soft top back in August.

Definitely didn't want to pay full retail for the mopar soft top.
Sponsored