Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was afraid of this - due in part to my wife's handicap, when she has the tail gate and window open on her new Wrangler, she can't reach up and pull the window down.
Is there any sort of aid, handle, strap, whatever, that can be attached that she could pull down on to close the window?
It's danged cold out and I haven't looked closely at the window to see if there's any attachment point in the middle- likely not, and you'd certainly not want to pull down from one side as that would be an uneven load on the window (always best to pull hatches and glass down from the center - experience with busted hinges and such has taught a lot of people that over the years)
Sponsored

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Might run a strap around both shocks so it hangs down in middle and would pull evenly.
My wife had same issue with wrangler 4xe we sold. She’s 4-10ish . Usually she didn’t need the glass open because everything was just reachable.

Sponsored

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
Get you a really good suction cup( some you can even glue to glass) with a center loop , alcohol clean the glass, nice paracord or similar line with a monkey fist at the appropriate length an you got it for probably under $15
Could even get fancy with purple and another favorite color line

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Telescoping boat hook.
Jeep Gladiator Wrangler accessibility question 51g7AHZQmQL._AC_SX466_

That's what a fisherman would use.
But it always has to be at hand, and it's more of a 2-handed option. Whatever I do must be done with one hand. Best attached (permanently) to the glass as if anything came off, I'd be in trouble.
We can't even get suction cups to stick on slick shower tile or window glass. So that's out. Cold weather would see them letting loose when it's 10 below with the force needed to pull that glass down.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Might run a strap around both shocks so it hangs down in middle and would pull evenly.
My wife had same issue with wrangler 4xe we sold. She’s 4-10ish . Usually she didn’t need the glass open because everything was just reachable.
I wonder if something could be "braided" using paracord similar to how some of the "grab handles" are made for the JT and Wrangler that attach to the roll cage above the doors...........
Or maybe get one of those already made handles for the roll cage and just add extensions to the end to attach to where the lower ends of the struts mount to the glass.
Obviously, it needs to be purple LOL

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Whoops, won't be putting anything on the lower end of the glass struts. Those are WAY up high and you can't really pull the glass down by those.
Oh, well, back to the drawing board.......... need to find a way to tie onto the glass down low, or maybe make paracord limiters that prevent the glass from going so very high. A cord that ties onto where the ends of the struts attach and limit their ability to extend, stopping the glass when it's straight out or level instead of so far up.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, that's asking for trouble, though - step up to reach a window and lose balance......... Steps like that are for when you are holding onto something to keep your balance while on one leg
It's also yet another "step" to take to move it out of the way, put it on, take it off.
It would make it more complicated rather than more simple, every time the window was opened.
I can see suggesting that she slide out a step, close the window, slide a step back.

I'm almost wondering if one of these companies that drills tempered glass for shower doors or surrounds might be willing.......... so I could attach a handle or strap.
OR - using the adhesives that were used for many years to glue mirrors to windshields. That stuff sticks so well you bust the glass getting that small metal mirror bracket off.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
There must be some sort of weather stripping at the bottom of the window. Can't you screw or pinch some sort of strap there?

Pictures of the rear window might help.

Any way to limit the travel of the hatch? Can you stop it within reach?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any way to limit the travel of the hatch? Can you stop it within reach?
I was wondering about that myself - paracord tied to each end of both struts to limit up-travel.
The weatherstrip on these is sort of, well, I'd be concerned about leaks even not messing with it. It's not a strong point on these.

BUT - I agree a pic might be helpful for ideas so will try to get pics tomorrow.
Sponsored