Sponsored

Y68 Emissions Recall ( PCM Software Update)- seem fishy to anyone else?

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
A while back I received the Carfax email about a “recall” on my Gladiator. It’s been debated in other threads whether this is truly a recall or not, but that’s besides the point. Today I received my actual letter in the mail- Y68 Emissions recall. The letter clearly states that the PCM may NOT enable misfire detection under certain circumstances.

To be clear- I no longer have my Gladiator. I traded it in 2 months ago due to having a 3rd child and not enough room. I sure do miss my Jeep though and continue to follow this forum and all things Jeep.

My question is - does this recall seem a little fishy to anyone else? It was widely known shortly after the JT launched a significant number of owners were having misfire issues resulting in CELs, with no single solution ever found that Im aware of. My JT never threw a code, but often ran VERY rough at idle- many others have stated the same on this forum. I was honestly often worried that I was developing the dreaded misfire issues.

Not saying I don’t trust FCA or have any complaints about the Gladiator I owned. But it just seems odd that a vehicle plagued early on with misfire issues would suddenly have a recall years later for not detecting such issues.
Jeep Gladiator Y68 Emissions Recall ( PCM Software Update)- seem fishy to anyone else? A98A4587-1E34-4033-BF78-7348529E5247
Sponsored

Last edited:

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I don't see anything fishy. It looks to me like they had the misfire issues, investigated them, found out that there was an issue with the PCM not throwing a CEL when it should have, and have now released a fix for that error. Since properly detecting misfires is needed for emissions control, it quickly becomes an emissions-related recall.

Am I missing something? Seems straight forward to me.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
No idea and I hope your exactly right. Would love to know the build dates etc… of the JTs affected by this recall. Is it possible this was somehow intentional to hide the misfires?
If it was never throwing a CEL, it would cause lots of problems in diagnosis (as stated in the recall). It also would not allow the computer to attempt to adjust to ease the misfire issue if it didn't know it was there. How would they then hide something they weren't seeing? Unless you are suggesting Jeep knew from the very start and programmed the OBD to ignore misfires intentionally? That's a hell of an accusation.

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
If it was never throwing a CEL, it would cause lots of problems in diagnosis (as stated in the recall). It also would not allow the computer to attempt to adjust to ease the misfire issue if it didn't know it was there. How would they then hide something they weren't seeing? Unless you are suggesting Jeep knew from the very start and programmed the OBD to ignore misfires intentionally? That's a hell of an accusation.
Again I have no idea- it’s just where my mind went when I got the letter and I wondered if anyone else thought the same. Remember alot of the attempted fixes at the beginning with the misfire issues were PCM flashes.

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
A while back I received the Carfax email about a “recall” on my Gladiator. It’s been debated in other threads whether this is truly a recall or not, but that’s besides the point. Today I received my actual letter in the mail- Y68 Emissions recall. The letter clearly states that the PCM may NOT enable misfire detection under certain circumstances.

To be clear- I no longer have my Gladiator. I traded it in 2 months ago due to having a 3rd child and not enough room. I sure do miss my Jeep though and continue to follow this forum and all things Jeep.

My question is - does this recall seem a little fishy to anyone else? It was widely known shortly after the JT launched a significant number of owners were having misfire issues resulting in CELs, with no single solution ever found that Im aware of. My JT never threw a code, but often ran VERY rough at idle- many others have stated the same on this forum. I was honestly often worried that I was developing the dreaded misfire issues.

Given FCA’s ecodiesel emissions history along with the misfire issues this engine seemed plagued by early on etc…You get the point, make anyone else wonder?

Not saying I don’t trust FCA or have any complaints about the Gladiator I owned. But it just seems odd that a vehicle plagued early on with misfire issues would suddenly have a recall years later for not detecting such issues.
Jeep Gladiator Y68 Emissions Recall ( PCM Software Update)- seem fishy to anyone else? A98A4587-1E34-4033-BF78-7348529E5247
I had mine in the dealer for my Death Wobble, which there replacing the steering damper didn't fix, but while it was in they did a recall for a misfiring issue.
Not that I had a problem with that (yet).

Joeg

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
project manager
Had this recall recently. Had it done when I had service done a couple weeks ago. While I hit about a 1/2 mpg better gpm my auto off now never activates. Give and take I guess. Definitely runs smoother at low rpms in higher elevations above 5k. Burp when ram changes is no longer there
Sponsored