First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
Its the diesel derating issue that concerns me in the heat. This past weekend was the start of camping season for us in the desert. On the way up to cooler campgrounds I saw oil temps up to 245 on the steeper inclines. If I was towing anything I would have needed to slow way down and I don’t feel safe doing 55-60 when others zoom past at 90+ on the stretches of Utah highway with 80mph speed limits.

I suppose I can build a small trailer too, but I haven’t convinced myself that’s really too much better than tent camping. If I’m going to tow living quarters it had better have a place to poo, shower and have an a/c. Maybe a pop up can fit me too. I haven’t looked too terribly hard honestly.
I’m pulling a 3000 lb 2022 NuCamp Tab 400 with my 2020 Max Tow. Pulled up and down the mountains 12 mpg and 14 On the flats. Only 18’ 3” and got a/c . I also got a nice throne and shower. Check it out, think you will like it. Miller trailer in PA sells these and they will beat any price in the good ole USA
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like reverse psychology like my wife to keep the miles down on her BMW X5 50i. She hated the Gladiator but we seem to be in it 80% of the time since I bought it 2yrs ago
Funny thing - my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee sits most of the time.. I think she's maybe just hit 6,000 miles. (bought October 2020)
She rides with me most of the time now since I got the JT.
She hates climbing up into it and complains ever time - but guess what we took to FL last month and who drove most of the way there and back)
She misses the creature comforts of her WK and the power seats, power this and that were you push a button and get all of your settings back, including all seat settings and so on - but she's never complained about how it drives or handles (she did the 2020 before I got the steering gear changed out)
She's proud of the low miles on her Grand Cherokee. She's concerned about the miles on my JT - but not TOO concerned, I guess.
I told her back in the fall of 2020 - you can buy any Jeep you want, any - Wrangler, Gladiator, Grand Cherokee or anything else they make, any options, any color, any price.
She chose the Grand Cherokee (in part because they cost so much less and she hates climbing up into one) - but guess what we're taking to church tonight - not HER Jeep!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned Chevy, Ford, Chevy again, and now the JT.
If I were looking today for a bigger truck with more towing and room inside, I'd give a serious look to the Ram. I tend to look at what's what at the time I am buying, and temper that with past experiences, and go with what's best THAT model year. Ram seems to be there every year. It was really close in 2011 - between Chevy and Dodge, price and the dealer's attitudes and dealing got me into Chevy but otherwise Ram was right there.

I guess I've had good luck with each truck I've owned - maybe because I go by what's happening at that time and not the past. The only troubles I had were with the Ford - after 70,000 miles it got into a shake in the steering that no one, not myself, not any dealer, could figure out so I said enough's enough, time for a new truck anyway - rust was starting.

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
The Mod addiction has not went away with getting a 1500. Already added a small lift, new rims, new tires, flowmaster, removed the front air damn... The stance is looking really nice now. I miss the uniqueness of the Gladiator, but I am enjoying the ride the of the Ram. My wife's Bronco is seeing a lot less miles now. We take the Ram everywhere, because it is so comfortable.

Jeep Gladiator Yet another goodbye IMG_3304.JPEG

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
At least you didn't get an F-150. ;). Your selection looks good.

I'm in a similar situation but have decided that I like my gladiator so much that I refuse to get rid of it until there is a (mandated?) electric version....even then. I'm solving my towing issues by making my wife get a bigger truck which she thankfully was stoked about.
Im waiting on an Kia EV6 to become my primary/daily. That'll make the jeep a doors off/fun truck for the beach and trails only. It'll be 20yr old before it has 100,00 miles.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a similar situation but have decided that I like my gladiator so much that I refuse to get rid of it until there is a (mandated?) electric version....even then.
same for me, that and I still owe a bit more than id like on it. Ive had my eye on the rivian if we continue down the clown world path

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
same for me, that and I still owe a bit more than id like on it. Ive had my eye on the rivian if we continue down the clown world path
Make sure you wait until after the recall has been completed on it........

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you wait until after the recall has been completed on it........
Im nooooo where near ready.

i do enjoy that a lot of media outlets are making this huge deal of their recall over a loose bolt. Its almost like there’s someone somewhere who realllly wants their company for flounder 😂

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Its almost like there’s someone somewhere who realllly wants their company for flounder 😂
Ain't gonna happen. They already have a big following and it's just going to grow as the others struggle to catch up and meet demand.
Not for me - but I see where it's for others.

As far as loose bolts, no other company had better snicker - they've all had their "loose bolts" and worse.
Imagine driving your beautiful newer Mercedes down the highway, showing off how smooth, quiet and luxurious is it, and have the guy behind you eat your sun roof as it flies off into the sunset.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ain't gonna happen. They already have a big following and it's just going to grow as the others struggle to catch up and meet demand.
Not for me - but I see where it's for others.

As far as loose bolts, no other company had better snicker - they've all had their "loose bolts" and worse.
Imagine driving your beautiful newer Mercedes down the highway, showing off how smooth, quiet and luxurious is it, and have the guy behind you eat your sun roof as it flies off into the sunset.
Exactly!

and IMO it shows integrity for a small company to recall every vehicle theyve made so early in their production. Something that could potentially tanK their business with bad Pr.

Though I suppose the Pr of having owner injuries or death due to a known defect would also be pretty bad haha

just the same, they’re an intriguing truck.

Sponsored

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I went from a 2018 CTD Big Horn to a 2022 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow and as comfortable as the Ram was, I'm really enjoying my Gladiator. Even though parking wasn't that hard for me since I was used to parking 53' semi truck and trailers, the Gladiator is just so much better. And it does an admirable job pulling are 26' travel trailer.

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I’m still creeping this forum. It’s much more active and interesting than the 5th gen ram one. The ram one isn’t bad, plenty of good info, but it isn’t the same.
Sponsored