Sponsored

Yet another ESS (start/stop) thread.

bucolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure where burden on consumer comes in. What burden? Sit back and let 'er work. I see no burden. Maybe some CBD gummies to help lower the annoyance threshold?
I think a big part of the problem is those if us who grew up driving without it. 45 years and no ESS and now this big change and it's human nature to resist change.

I remember when seat belt laws came into effect and the same discussions were had. My son was born after seat belt laws and to him, it was a non-issue. You got in the car and buckled up and he thought I was stupid for always forgetting to put on my seat belt. Never bothered him in the least.

I think for drivers now starting to drive with ESS it will be a non-issue and they will probably think a car that doesn't have it is primitive and wasteful idling and burning fuel while going nowhere (if there are any gas cars around in 20 years!)! It will be all they every know.
Sponsored

Rob_R

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JTR, 88 YJ, 05 Ram, SPF Cobra, 22 Mach 1
Occupation
Retired

Stuntman Mike

First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTOD, 2005 TJ 4.0, 1980 MB 450 SLC
Occupation
Rotating Equipment Consultant
I like Scotty because he is funny, not because of his knowledge. I made it half way through that video. I would agree with the cost of the Ess and lack of fuel savings, why have it at all. EPA? I think if you are out of the city limits it is a waste. I think if you are using a Jeep for your daily commute in stop and go traffic, you don't care about fuel savings and will likely hit the off button every time. So the EPA did nothing to combat " saving the planet" . It just put more burden on the consumer. My opinion!
Apart from Scotty, I fully agree with you.

Even if the ESS on the Diesel Gladiator worked very well during the test drive, I am putting it off everytime I use my own vehicle.

And even on my Smart 451, which is mainly used in the city, the first thing to do is to switch ESS off.
OK, fuel consumption is slightly higher but the Smart is still on it's first battery after 8 years ...

In my opinion, which I am not in a position to proof with serious calcualtions, the costs of ESS is higher than it's benifits.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
when seat belt laws came into effect and the same discussions were had. My son was born after seat belt laws and to him, it was a non-issue. You got in the car and buckled up and he thought I was stupid for always forgetting to put on my seat belt. Never bothered him in the least.

I think for drivers now starting to dri
It also just doesn't make sense for everyone though. Like me... If I left the ESS on to do it's thing, it would function, as in have a ESS operation, maybe three times in an entire week. Thats assuming I even go to town once a week to the dr or something. Sometimes I get away with not going to town for 2-3 weeks. Being in the city and having an ESS event is fine - but when I forget to turn it off its almost always when out in the woods, and taking a stop to look at some elk or something. But if I lived in the city, most likely I would have a electric hybrid anyway cause it just makes sense, to me, to have something like that when all you do is go around town.

bucolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It also just doesn't make sense for everyone though. Like me... If I left the ESS on to do it's thing, it would function, as in have a ESS operation, maybe three times in an entire week. Thats assuming I even go to town once a week to the dr or something. Sometimes I get away with not going to town for 2-3 weeks. Being in the city and having an ESS event is fine - but when I forget to turn it off its almost always when out in the woods, and taking a stop to look at some elk or something. But if I lived in the city, most likely I would have a electric hybrid anyway cause it just makes sense, to me, to have something like that when all you do is go around town.
Yeah, the fuel savings on an individual basis is probably minimal. I saw a video on the Ram e-tourque system and they showed this and said this is the amount of fuel saved in 90 seconds.

Individually it doesn't look like much but imagine all the cars in the bottom image sitting in traffic and every car saving that much fuel every 90 seconds of idling and it really adds up overall.

If I gave one forum member one dollar they would have...well...one dollar. But if every forum member gave that one member .50 cents they would have about $23,000 . The economy of scale.

Jeep Gladiator Yet another ESS (start/stop) thread. 1701913603188

Jeep Gladiator Yet another ESS (start/stop) thread. 1701913769576

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Yeah, the fuel savings on an individual basis is probably minimal. I saw a video on the Ram e-tourque system and they showed this and said this is the amount of fuel saved in 90 seconds.
I would be willing to bet that for someone living in a big city, the fuel savings could be noticeable

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would be willing to bet that for someone living in a big city, the fuel savings could be noticeable
Like I said - Edmunds and others have come up with typical commute at 7 to 10%
They sought out to either prove or disprove, and in the end, scientific studies end up proving.
We have lights here that have typical wait times of 30 seconds to 90 seconds. One I actually timed on my phone at just under 2 minutes wait.

Varies with the vehicle - some will save more, some will save less. Each engine's idle fuel consumption will vary.

The eTorque system is really pretty cool, aside from any other conversation here,
unrelated to anything else being talked about, it's a neat system.
Sponsored