First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
So, since Day 1 (well, not really day 1 but) 04/04/2019, I locked myself into committing to this Gladiator that I've been waiting for 5ish years...

Billet Silver Metallic Launch Edition
Pick up in Spirit Lake, IA.

On day 2 drive approx. 500 miles to Madison, WI on US 18, a 2 lane highway thru multiple small towns. This is not the fastest route, but I figured it would be the best route for the initial Break-In.

In Madison, I would install:
17x9.5 Black Rhino Armory wheels
35x12.5r17 General Grabber ATX tires

and then drive home to Fort Lauderdale over the next 2 days.

BUT NOOOO, a series of events decided to turn this upside down.
1. Rough Country came out with a 2.5" level kit. UGGGH DAMMIT!!!
I didn't want to lift, but a level kit? ugggh. OK, I want it BUT, I'm safe.
cause there's NO WAY a JEEP dealer would install a RC kit.

2. The enabler known as @spenchey,
ya, THIS GUY is bad news for peeps like me.
"Sure JP, I'll put it on for you." like a crack dealer saying, "Here, have just one taste"

So now I have a RC 2.5" Level kit and since I had RC on the phone, ALSO have a RC dual steering stabilizer coming, cause they're just as bad as that Heywood cat in Iowa...

so this is where YOU come in.
Do I go crazy-ass General Grabber ATX 37x12.5r17
or
Do I go even Crazier-ass Nitto Terra Grappler 37x13.5r17

'Why'd you pick those two, you crackhead' you ask?

Both ATX cause as much as I can talk smack, I'm a full-on poser and this thing will be a pavement king. I may totally lose my shit and go down a gravel road.

They BOTH have a 50k treadwear warranty.

They weigh the same. ALOT!

So, fellow crackheads, ENABLE!

I'm gonna go grab another beer and cry over just how bad my checking account is getting raped.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you stay stock go 35s

If you lift add 37s. I would look for lighter tires however. BFG KO2 is a popular choice.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Why you going all the way to Idaho to get a JT? BTW.....don't you know Jeep ownership is your first crack hit? Then you need a bunch of mods (fixes) to keep you going....

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Why you going all the way to Idaho to get a JT? BTW.....don't you know Jeep ownership is your first crack hit? Then you need a bunch of mods (fixes) to keep you going....
Not Idaho, Iowa.
Day 1 Fly up to Minneapolis, rent a car and drive to Spirit Lake, IA. sign the paperwork on the truck, drive next door to the Ramada to drink beer and install minor stuff in the Parking lot (Sunshade, fender flags, dead pedal). Overnight there.
Day 2 Drive US 18 to Madison, mostly 2 lane hwy through several towns. Approx 500 miles. good, easy ride for break-in. I have Family in Madison, so already have the Black Rhino Armory's stacked in the garage there. Get them mounted and installed at Discount Tire there. Toss the take-offs in the bed.
Day 3 Downtime in Madison
Day 4 Drive to Mississippi. Have family there.
Day 5 Drive to Fort Lauderdale.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Whats in Madison besides cheese
beer
Bucky Badger
beer
my Black Rhino Armory wheels
beer
State Capitol
beer
ummm, stuff
beer

OP
OP
JP1

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
upload_2019-5-12_12-30-8.png

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Whats in Madison besides cheese
I believe that cheesy guy @steffen707 is in Wisconsin :LOL:... (pun intended)

Well, I have done a lot of research and they all say you need to add gussets and all kinds of reinforcements for the suspension/shocks/axles to preserve the geometry and allow for a steady on-road drive if you go 37"s... Not to mention all the electronic resets...

Idk, it will obviously be up to you but why modify so much right from the jump? See what you have and how you feel with the 35"s for a few months and then make your move?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I believe that cheesy guy @steffen707 is in Wisconsin :LOL:... (pun intended)

Well, I have done a lot of research and they all say you need to add gussets and all kinds of reinforcements for the suspension/shocks/axles to preserve the geometry and allow for a steady on-road drive if you go 37"s... Not to mention all the electronic resets...

Idk, it will obviously be up to you but why modify so much right from the jump? See what you have and how you feel with the 35"s for a few months and then make your move?
I'm with @SleepyJeep, I do like cheese.

OH and I'd go with 35" for a while and then upgrade if you want. Some say you need to reinforce stuff to go 37".

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I also noticed that with the Tread Lightly membership, you get a discount on General tires!
Where do you have to buy them through?

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Where do you have to buy them through?
I don't think it matters -
The membership voucher says $100 rebate from Discount Tire and $100 from General Tire.
It says you get a mail in rebate for $100 for General Grabber X,A/T and $70 for General HTS and $50 for General Altimax. So, no matter where you buy you can mail it in. I wonder if you can combine Discount Tire with it and get $200 off :rock:
Sponsored