Sponsored

STING GRAY Gladiator JT Club

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Ok, its back from paint...(i know its not for most, but I am super excited and venturing into trying something). So full kevlar, sting grey main color, with black along bottom sides, tailgate and inserts plus black for roof. Next up the Jeep emblems back on (sting grey) 4.5" EVO lift and 38" Patagonias with 20" XF Offroad wheels. They put the wrong power steps, suppose to be the new AMPXL Rock Rails so they are swapping those out today.

8B572F54-B711-4B5E-B103-A3062E514561.jpeg
Love it. Can't wait to see some more as you work on it. Love the flat look.

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Ok, its back from paint...(i know its not for most, but I am super excited and venturing into trying something). So full kevlar, sting grey main color, with black along bottom sides, tailgate and inserts plus black for roof. Next up the Jeep emblems back on (sting grey) 4.5" EVO lift and 38" Patagonias with 20" XF Offroad wheels. They put the wrong power steps, suppose to be the new AMPXL Rock Rails so they are swapping those out today.

8B572F54-B711-4B5E-B103-A3062E514561.jpeg
How do you like the AMP Powersteps XL? I have a set on my Gladiator but I don't like them like the others in the past on other vehicles. Two reasons: the step is an awkward step from the step into the Gladiator. In my opinion it should deploy lower. The Gladiator XL model was not able to extend the extra 3 inches due to limited space in the undercarriage according to AMP. The second thing I am disappointed in is their AMP override switch times out in 30 minutes therefore if you want to prevent steps from deploying you have to hit the switch every 30 minutes. This bothers me because I really don't need the steps but the rest of my family appreciate them. I would also wonder if you are wheeling there are times you would prefer to the steps to not deploy. I just think the available override switch should be constant in whatever mode you pick. If you turn them off they should stay off until you flip the switch. My Ram 1500 had the ability to turn the steps off all the time if wanted. Other than that, excellent quality.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the AMP Powersteps XL? I have a set on my Gladiator but I don't like them like the others in the past on other vehicles. Two reasons: the step is an awkward step from the step into the Gladiator. In my opinion it should deploy lower. The Gladiator XL model was not able to extend the extra 3 inches due to limited space in the undercarriage according to AMP. The second thing I am disappointed in is their AMP override switch times out in 30 minutes therefore if you want to prevent steps from deploying you have to hit the switch every 30 minutes. This bothers me because I really don't need the steps but the rest of my family appreciate them. I would also wonder if you are wheeling there are times you would prefer to the steps to not deploy. I just think the available override switch should be constant in whatever mode you pick. If you turn them off they should stay off until you flip the switch. My Ram 1500 had the ability to turn the steps off all the time if wanted. Other than that, excellent quality.
Thanks Brian for the info. I have yet to have my JT in my hands. I live in California but my JT is at my customizer in Florida. I get it around the 19th :). If I dont like them I will be going with https://rockslideengineering.com/ but I really, really dont like the look of them but they do work well as a step as I have personally tried them on a JT at a show out west here. Thanks again for the review. I will update once I get it and try it out.

Sponsored

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
What did they charge for the Kevlar paint job?
It was around $4200 total and comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Takes 4-5 days as they literally pull the entire thing apart and paint each part. They dont mask off the hinges as it can cause peeling. Im really excited to get it and see how well it performs.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
It was around $4200 total and comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Takes 4-5 days as they literally pull the entire thing apart and paint each part. They dont mask off the hinges as it can cause peeling. Im really excited to get it and see how well it performs.

That’s less than PPF wrap costs not bad at all

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
That’s less than PPF wrap costs not bad at all
Thats how i looked at it, especially with all the details and if you look closely i did black on the bottom crease of the fender and bottom of cab and then the tailgate inset. A wrap has a tough time to have different colors like that without a seam showing.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some updated pics. Steps still need to be replaced. I am not doing the AMP XL, going with the rock slide engineering ones and they still need to paint the rear bumper inserts grey and then install the new leather seats.

B8814DD4-84C7-4A49-BFEC-3802604AF5FF.jpeg

D633824B-AB79-4973-A6C8-F9B0179EC9F3.jpeg

863A4F66-16D9-486A-A3B4-B87034DCCB6B.jpeg

DDCC2FAE-679E-428C-89D1-52D44AA514F5.jpeg

34A16B4A-8ACB-48CF-A823-DE8A6E49C765.jpeg

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Thanks Brian for the info. I have yet to have my JT in my hands. I live in California but my JT is at my customizer in Florida. I get it around the 19th :). If I dont like them I will be going with https://rockslideengineering.com/ but I really, really dont like the look of them but they do work well as a step as I have personally tried them on a JT at a show out west here. Thanks again for the review. I will update once I get it and try it out.
Sounds good. Just to confirm, the AMP override switch is an accessory that you purchase separately. Once my installer told me about the time out feature and I confirmed with AMP I sent the override back because it didn't help for my purposes. I know you are excited about getting your truck. One thing I could consider is wiring the steps into the auxiliary switches. Not sure if this could work but it's a thought.

Sponsored

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good. Just to confirm, the AMP override switch is an accessory that you purchase separately. Once my installer told me about the time out feature and I confirmed with AMP I sent the override back because it didn't help for my purposes. I know you are excited about getting your truck. One thing I could consider is wiring the steps into the auxiliary switches. Not sure if this could work but it's a thought.
Oh that makes sense. So we did a last minute change. I am going with the Rock Slide Engineering ones. Going on tomorrow.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Truck looks sick, wish I had a customizer in fla damnit....really like the wheels
Thanks! I had it delivered to Florida to SOFLOJEEPS then having it shipped to me in California. The wheels are xf offroad, model 214. It was so hard to choose as there are no pictures of those on a jeep at all. So went with my gut.

ntl158

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Rubicon JT
Here are some updated pics. Steps still need to be replaced. I am not doing the AMP XL, going with the rock slide engineering ones and they still need to paint the rear bumper inserts grey and then install the new leather seats.

B8814DD4-84C7-4A49-BFEC-3802604AF5FF.jpeg

D633824B-AB79-4973-A6C8-F9B0179EC9F3.jpeg

863A4F66-16D9-486A-A3B4-B87034DCCB6B.jpeg

DDCC2FAE-679E-428C-89D1-52D44AA514F5.jpeg

34A16B4A-8ACB-48CF-A823-DE8A6E49C765.jpeg
The textured paint is cool, but I’m not a fan of the front end. No offense... Maybe I’m just old school, but I prefer the classic Jeep grille.
Sponsored