First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Depends on your needs and expectations. My 2019 F-250 is needed to haul my 5th wheel toy hauler, my 2018 Ford Raptor is fun cool and has a lot of luxury my 2020 Gladiator is fun, cool and delivers an experience that the others do not have, the open air experience, the ability to make it truly your own with an unbelievable after market which gives pride of ownership.

If idid not own a 5th wheel i would have no need for the F-250, the Raptor i would keep because it`s a Raptor, the Gladiator fills my smaller truck needs makes me feel young and is plain cool.
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Honestly, it's the yellow sticker's weight. I don't keep any fluids in it and we don't really have many belongings in it when I'm towing it. I have a weight distribution hitch so I think I'll be ok to drive it an hour at 50mph max. I'm certainly not going to take it cross country.
copy that, thanks. Batteries, propane, gear in the camper and gear in the bed can have a very different effect on the tow vehicle than folks realize. Experience is a tough teacher. Salesman tell us what we want to hear. Regardless, I recommend you actually weigh it.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Common thread here is: if you're not towing much, the JT is a great substitute for a full size 1/2 ton.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my F250 a half ton just couldn't cut it. Then I went shopping again and over and over heard - and found that then I didn't need a 3/4 ton. The half ton trucks would now handle it. And these days, even the compacts can do what it used to take a half ton to handle.
I figured with my lighter car hauler I wouldn't need a full-sized truck any more. There's guys handling over 5,000 are doing fine so I should as well with less than that. (4,600-4,800)

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
'01 Super Duty with a 5-speed manual transmission V10 to a Gladiator manual transmission V6. I'm getting twice the mileage on half the gas, and loving every minute of it. Oh, the wheelbase on both, 141" vs 137.7". I still have the reliability of solid axles, and a manual transmission, plus a fully convertible truck.

IMG_20190606_143456.jpg

IMG_20191026_132851.jpg

Sponsored

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
My last 4 trucks were full size, 2012 Nissan Titan, 2014 Ram 1500 Sport, 2017 Nissan Titan (lemon), 2018 Nissan Titan. I don't have any regrets getting the Gladiator. I've never really wanted to just get in a vehicle and drive it around like I do with the Gladiator. I've wanted a Wrangler for a while, but I need to tow my boat so I needed a truck. I tried to convince my wife for the longest time to trade her vehicle for a Wrangler and she didn't want to, so when I heard about the Gladiator finally coming to market, I couldn't wait. The only problem I have is my wife loves driving the Gladiator and now she wants a Wrangler.

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
My last 4 trucks were full size, 2012 Nissan Titan, 2014 Ram 1500 Sport, 2017 Nissan Titan (lemon), 2018 Nissan Titan. I don't have any regrets getting the Gladiator. I've never really wanted to just get in a vehicle and drive it around like I do with the Gladiator. I've wanted a Wrangler for a while, but I need to tow my boat so I needed a truck. I tried to convince my wife for the longest time to trade her vehicle for a Wrangler and she didn't want to, so when I heard about the Gladiator finally coming to market, I couldn't wait. The only problem I have is my wife loves driving the Gladiator and now she wants a Wrangler.
My wife got jealous when I had my Gladiator on order as I was always talking about it, bought herself a Wrangler. Our Christmas wish lists are almost identical.

IMG_20191008_215430.jpg

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Went to my Gladiator Rubicon from a 2007 Avalanche. It had some features the Gladiator does not offer that I miss (mainly power seats and memory) but overall I like the Rubicon. Different ride (actually better in some ways on our lousy Michigan roads), not nearly as quiet, but overall more fun. It got n my short list mainly due to the 7000# towing for my 22' boat -- had its towing rating been lower, it would not have been considered. Considered going to a F150 Lariat but it and the other full size pickups seemed so big and bulky, I am adding side steps as it is a little high to easily get in due to my prosthetic right leg.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Went to my Gladiator Rubicon from a 2007 Avalanche. It had some features the Gladiator does not offer that I miss (mainly power seats and memory) but overall I like the Rubicon. Different ride (actually better in some ways on our lousy Michigan roads), not nearly as quiet, but overall more fun. It got n my short list mainly due to the 7000# towing for my 22' boat -- had its towing rating been lower, it would not have been considered. Considered going to a F150 Lariat but it and the other full size pickups seemed so big and bulky, I am adding side steps as it is a little high to easily get in due to my prosthetic right leg.
That's one thing I'll miss is the power seats with memory. My wife runs a seat up clean to the front and moves the back so you sit upright as if in an old oak chair or church pew or something. I can't even get into her Grand Cherokee without moving the seat back then I have to tilt the back of the seat back a bit or I feel like someone is shoving me forward. So when she drive my truck (and she LOVES driving that Silverado) we each have a seat, mirror and pedal memory set. I rarely driver her Grand Cherokee so I didn't bother setting up the seat memory for me - she just pushes 1 after I've been in it.
I have raynauds pretty bad and have had finger and hand injuries over the years so needed the heated wheel - that's something my Chevy was a year or two too early to have. That was a must for the Gladiator.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
still waiting for mine to come in but I'm going from a 2010 Powerwagon to the Gladiator

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

pboz

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just wanted to share my experience. I went from 2011 JK to F-250 truck. Moved from ski boat to two Sea Doos. I had a small concern about towing but just returned from Laughlin Nevada. 285 each way and no issues pulling, launching at Katherine's Landing or driving around town. Different looking at mirrors and in the dark from the F-250 but no problems.

IMG_0876.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to share my experience. I went from 2011 JK to F-250 truck. Moved from ski boat to two Sea Doos. I had a small concern about towing but just returned from Laughlin Nevada. 285 each way and no issues pulling, launching at Katherine's Landing or driving around town. Different looking at mirrors and in the dark from the F-250 but no problems.

IMG_0876.jpeg
But how much weight is that actually, and the load sits low.............what is that, a couple thousand pounds? (I really have no idea what those weigh, but can't be much............ or can it?)

pboz

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you'r likely under 2500 for the whole thing - still though it's good to hear of the good experience. Mine will be hauling 4600-5000 and that's still got me apprehensive because the Overland has very limited capability that way and the payload is really teeny but that's what my wife wanted (my truck but she insists on certain packages)
Sponsored