Trail Cam Idea

Wsimpson110

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Following is my idea on how to integrate a front camera into my Sport S screen display. Let me know why this wouldn’t work.

- mount a second rear cam into the front bumper.
- wire the new cam into the same harness as the stock rear cam.
- wire a switch into the cab to switch the feed into the head unit from the front or rear cam

essentially I would have two “rear” cams and would switch between them. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Z Automotive makes a front camera kit, you would also need the Tazer to make it work.

OP
OP
Wsimpson110

Wsimpson110

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
That option only works with the larger touchscreen.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Following is my idea on how to integrate a front camera into my Sport S screen display. Let me know why this wouldn’t work.

- wire a switch into the cab to switch the feed into the head unit from the front or rear cam

essentially I would have two “rear” cams and would switch between them. Any thoughts?
Sounds like a cumbersome approach. Can you activate the rear camera and keep it on for an extended period of time? If not, how would you make it work when not in reverse?

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Sounds like a cumbersome approach. Can you activate the rear camera and keep it on for an extended period of time? If not, how would you make it work when not in reverse?
It does seem to be a lot of work for a camera but I understand the OPs reasoning. I have the 7" screen as well so the Z Automotive kit isn't an option. As for powering the camera, up to a certain speed the rear camera will display even with the transmission in drive. I have done this several times while at a stop and then left it on after pulling away. Sadly I was just goofing around and wasn't really paying attention to at what speed it cut the camera off. The camera can be accessed through the touchscreen to turn it on when not in reverse.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
Dont be a bitch and just get the trail cam?
This conversation is for adults. Besides, the front camera requires more than just buying the camera and childish name calling from other forum members.

Dm33buckeyes

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This conversation is for adults. Besides, the front camera requires more than just buying the camera and childish name calling from other forum members.
I apologize. I was in a bad mood this AM. No excuse for my behavior.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I apologize. I was in a bad mood this AM. No excuse for my behavior.
I can respect that. I think the factory camera is the way to go if you can swing it but not everyone can and part of driving (off-roading) a Jeep is making shit work that isn't supposed to.

Sponsored

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,

I rode in a coworkers new chevy truck and was impressed by the amount of cameras it has. bascially front, back, and each wheel. it was all built in and automatic of course, but would be awesome for rock crawling.

Bulldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon 2018 JLU Rubicon wife’s ride
Occupation
Smitty/land lord
I would like to see a hard top camera facing down towards the bed so you can keep track of the load.

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
i could have swore I read somewhere there was a cargo camera option somewhere maybe Z automotive

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I have the trail cam and IIRC, both it and the rear camera shut off at 8 mph. I assume it's another "nanny" way to prevent rear end collisions. I'm probably just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Tazer.
Sponsored