Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build you have going. I'll be doing a Sting Gray build for overlanding as well, just waiting to see what the final numbers are going to be on the diesel. That and I want to compare how much better it will tow my Off Grid Trailer than the 3.6L up here in the mountains. I was not planning on going with a full bed topper since I wanted to be able to haul tall items if needed, but the wife just got a new Ram 1500 so the JT no longer needs to pull "truck" duties around the house! That Alu-cab is looking pretty good on your rig!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Nice build you have going. I'll be doing a Sting Gray build for overlanding as well, just waiting to see what the final numbers are going to be on the diesel. That and I want to compare how much better it will tow my Off Grid Trailer than the 3.6L up here in the mountains. I was not planning on going with a full bed topper since I wanted to be able to haul tall items if needed, but the wife just got a new Ram 1500 so the JT no longer needs to pull "truck" duties around the house! That Alu-cab is looking pretty good on your rig!
I've heard from the program manager for Jeep that the 3.6 tows better than the eco diesel. And the subject of overlanding and diesel engines came up on Scott Brady's pod cast recently. He spent a bunch of time with the guy who did all of Africa solo. They get into it on diesel engines pretty good. Worth listening to for sure.

It's in the one with Dan Grec.
https://overlandjournal.com/podcast/

Personally I'd never consider a diesel. And they bring up alot of the reasons why. One thing they don't mention is the reliability of an untested in proven power train. The 3.6 is a gen 2 and that gen2 has been in other Jeeps since 2016. The gen 1 was a phenomenal engine and in the Wrangler it started in 2012.
My buddy has the ram eco diesel. It's been in the shop for 3 month waiting on repair parts. He can't wait to get it back so he can ditch it.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard from the program manager for Jeep that the 3.6 tows better than the eco diesel. And the subject of overlanding and diesel engines came up on Scott Brady's pod cast recently. He spent a bunch of time with the guy who did all of Africa solo. They get into it on diesel engines pretty good. Worth listening to for sure.

It's in the one with Dan Grec.
https://overlandjournal.com/podcast/

Personally I'd never consider a diesel. And they bring up alot of the reasons why. One thing they don't mention is the reliability of an untested in proven power train. The 3.6 is a gen 2 and that gen2 has been in other Jeeps since 2016. The gen 1 was a phenomenal engine and in the Wrangler it started in 2012.
My buddy has the ram eco diesel. It's been in the shop for 3 month waiting on repair parts. He can't wait to get it back so he can ditch it.

Thanks for the heads up on the pod cast, I'll give it a listen. Jeep has always stated that the 3.6 will tow more, but I don't expect it to tow better, especially here in the Colorado mountains. But I'm going to try and test drive both with my trailer in the mountains if I can swing it.

Gas vs Diesel is always a polar conversation. It just really depend on what you want out of your power plant. There will likely be some growing pains to the new Gen 3 Eco Diesel as with all new platforms. What year Ram does your buddy have? Any links to a thread he has posted with his issues?

I've owned a 2012 JKUR since 2013 and I would not say that the 3.6 is a phenomenal engine. Left hand head failures and replacements, crappy lifters, and oil cooler seals leaking coolant and oil between the V are just three of the more common issues the 1st Gen 3.6 has had. I'm not saying it is a bad motor, but it was not free of issues in the early years either. Never the less, point taken on the 3GED possibly having issues.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Thanks for the heads up on the pod cast, I'll give it a listen. Jeep has always stated that the 3.6 will tow more, but I don't expect it to tow better, especially here in the Colorado mountains. But I'm going to try and test drive both with my trailer in the mountains if I can swing it.

Gas vs Diesel is always a polar conversation. It just really depend on what you want out of your power plant. There will likely be some growing pains to the new Gen 3 Eco Diesel as with all new platforms. What year Ram does your buddy have? Any links to a thread he has posted with his issues?

I've owned a 2012 JKUR since 2013 and I would not say that the 3.6 is a phenomenal engine. Left hand head failures and replacements, crappy lifters, and oil cooler seals leaking coolant and oil between the V are just three of the more common issues the 1st Gen 3.6 has had. I'm not saying it is a bad motor, but it was not free of issues in the early years either. Never the less, point taken on the 3GED possibly having issues.
It's not even a 3rd gen. It's a whole new fist diesel. So all new learning curve.
I too had 2012 and it missed the early head issues and went to 140k last I heard from the guy who has it now. Still pulling strong on all factory components. I stand by phenomenal because I truly believe it to be the best engine ever in a Jeep. The gen 2 produces more torgue below 4k and the 8speed is amazing.
I can not imagine that a 4500 dollar increase for said motor is worth it consider how good the platform already is.

As far as issues with his truck I don't think he's a forum guy. He said it's basically his entire exhaust has recirculation system.

And the pod cast their general consensus is that they would all chose a gas motor over a Diesel every day for any trip. Diesel becomes progressively worse and unusable the further out of Western society you get. Americans romanticize diesel but the rest of the world is running motor bikes as their first vehicle. The diesel you'd get in these areas will likely ruin a modern engine.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
ARB twin installed using their JL/JT mount. Added a regulator for giggle shits and I had it.
IMG_20191228_231350.jpg
IMG_20191228_231356.jpg
IMG_20191229_080810_257.jpg
Can you explain why you prefer to mount inside the vehicle vs mounting under the vehicle (or hood)? Is there pluses and negatives to both?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Can you explain why you prefer to mount inside the vehicle vs mounting under the vehicle (or hood)? Is there pluses and negatives to both?
Lots of people have had issues with overheating them with the only under hood mount I've seen. Xoverland had trouble with theirs too. A lot of heat next to those headers there. Underneath. Water and these things are not cheap. Under the seat is protected and cooler.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Lots of people have had issues with overheating them with the only under hood mount I've seen. Xoverland had trouble with theirs too. A lot of heat next to those headers there. Underneath. Water and these things are not cheap. Under the seat is protected and cooler.
Wayoflife has a kit for connection to the firewall that routes out to the bumper (he just put a video out for it). Do you think there would be possible overheating issues there etc?

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Wayoflife has a kit for connection to the firewall that routes out to the bumper (he just put a video out for it). Do you think there would be possible overheating issues there etc?
Had to look it up as I would never run anything made or sold by Eddie. He still deserves a swift nut kick for what he did to me and others on JK forum. I hear the bounty on his rat tail is still available if someone cares to collect but he tends to hide.

That being said. It's the exact same setup that everyone is having issues with. That area is very hot and will heat soak. This caused several people to have compressors shut off due to thermal overheat. Mild success has been found with heat wrap but it's still questionable if it will get all 4 tires every time without shutting down. Not everyone has this trouble but I live in Utah and hot is no stranger here. To avoid this whole hassle I opted to avoid the situation and just go underseat. Especially since the ARB kit came out and is further under the seat with a kick guard compared to the jkinovation underseat that puts the filters in the foot zone. Also the under seat ac vent blows right on the compressor now so I'm not worried about it warming up the cab too.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Had to look it up as I would never run anything made or sold by Eddie. He still deserves a swift nut kick for what he did to me and others on JK forum. I hear the bounty on his rat tail is still available if someone cares to collect but he tends to hide.

That being said. It's the exact same setup that everyone is having issues with. That area is very hot and will heat soak. This caused several people to have compressors shut off due to thermal overheat. Mild success has been found with heat wrap but it's still questionable if it will get all 4 tires every time without shutting down. Not everyone has this trouble but I live in Utah and hot is no stranger here. To avoid this whole hassle I opted to avoid the situation and just go underseat. Especially since the ARB kit came out and is further under the seat with a kick guard compared to the jkinovation underseat that puts the filters in the foot zone. Also the under seat ac vent blows right on the compressor now so I'm not worried about it warming up the cab too.
Thanks for the info, glad I came across this before I made the purchase. All makes sense. It'll be going inside for me to.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Thanks for the info, glad I came across this before I made the purchase. All makes sense. It'll be going inside for me to.
I picked mine up from krawloffroad he had the best price on the kit when I messaged him. The compressor and bracket don't come with any hoses and the first one I got from Amazon had the wrong threads. I found a leader hose at harbor freight that appears to be working but just know the kit doesn't come with hose or air chuck.
You'll need a 1/4 npt right angle and a leader hose that connects to it. It gets hot so steel braided is ideal. ARB also has an air up kit that has the flex air hose, air chuck and the QD bits for like 30$ I've had it from a previous setup and it was great and has not leaked for the last 8 years.

Sponsored

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
When I finally mount mine up, it will likely be in the bed with a pneumatic valve accessible and more proximate to the ONLY reason to have on-board air: The Train Horn! :LOL:

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's not even a 3rd gen. It's a whole new fist diesel. So all new learning curve.
I too had 2012 and it missed the early head issues and went to 140k last I heard from the guy who has it now. Still pulling strong on all factory components. I stand by phenomenal because I truly believe it to be the best engine ever in a Jeep. The gen 2 produces more torgue below 4k and the 8speed is amazing.
I can not imagine that a 4500 dollar increase for said motor is worth it consider how good the platform already is.

As far as issues with his truck I don't think he's a forum guy. He said it's basically his entire exhaust has recirculation system.

And the pod cast their general consensus is that they would all chose a gas motor over a Diesel every day for any trip. Diesel becomes progressively worse and unusable the further out of Western society you get. Americans romanticize diesel but the rest of the world is running motor bikes as their first vehicle. The diesel you'd get in these areas will likely ruin a modern engine.
Well, FCA calls it the 3rd Gen with 80% new parts. But none of that really matters. As you said your self the 1st Gen 3.6 is a phenomenal engine, so it is possible that this new version of the ED could be as well. We just don't know yet. I do agree that for overlanding trips in 3rd world counties a modern diesel would be a bad choice, but I don't foresee me ever taking my rig to any of those to overland. I spent several years over in the middle east in 3rd world countries in the late 90s and early 2000s and there were a lot of diesel Hilfux trucks running around (we drove quite a few of them our selves). There were also lots of families all piled on dirt bikes as you said.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail your build thread into a diesel vs gas thing. I really do like the both and just wanted to comment on your build and follow alone with what you do with it.

Keep up the good work.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Not meaning to point this in a different direction nor start anything up, but just curious what’s happened? I watch his videos but have never purchased anything from him. Just looked around on their site and WOW. The Kool Aid is strong. People get crapped on for even mentioning a brand that doesn’t sponsor them. Impressive to see how vocal Eddie is and quick to call you disrespectful if you mention a different forum or nonsponsored part. :swear:
Anyway, thanks for your insight. I did see their video for the compressor mount and liked how clean it was. Thought similar as you with it being mounted next to the exhaust, but good to hear first hand experience. Thanks!

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I wouldn't buy anything from Eddie either. I think he is a snake in the grass and wouldn't trust much he says unless I confirm elsewhere. This is just my personal opinion of the guy and he hasn't done anything to me directly. I see how he treats others and have read some horrible things he has said and done to others. I would definitely not support anything he has to do with.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Not meaning to point this in a different direction nor start anything up, but just curious what’s happened? I watch his videos but have never purchased anything from him. Just looked around on their site and WOW. The Kool Aid is strong. People get crapped on for even mentioning a brand that doesn’t sponsor them. Impressive to see how vocal Eddie is and quick to call you disrespectful if you mention a different forum or nonsponsored part. :swear:
Anyway, thanks for your insight. I did see their video for the compressor mount and liked how clean it was. Thought similar as you with it being mounted next to the exhaust, but good to hear first hand experience. Thanks!
Well you hit on about 90% of it. He pulled all those same things back in the day when owned JK forum. Several of us didn't bow down to him and we just got deleted. Not banned. Completely deleted. I posted hundreds of how toos and tech info. One day I asked a question about the new teraflex rocksliders. Bam deleted. Then when I went and looked for it all my threads were gone. Excpet some with just tech info. He changed those too make it look like he posted them.
But thats gone now too since he sold it to a forums group. Add to that all the other koolaid drinking stuff you mentioned and he's one of the view people in the Jeep world I won't deal with. Shit I won't even watch his videos. Makes me sick him seeing a nickel of ad revenue off me.
Sponsored