Sponsored

Gladiator dual swing rear bumper prototype renderings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow - Firecracker Red
Not many Yotas run 40s but many Jeeps do. Make it handle a 40 inch tire and I'm sold....will buy!
The weight isn't the problem. Have to make sure it clears the taillights and stuff with the mounting options on the dual swings.

Space Invader

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I might want two spare tires. Can I do that? What size of spare tire can I put on there if I have two tires at the same time?

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Because of the wide-angle of the camera it will need to be relocated to the spare tire. We will come up with a kit for this like we have on the JL and Taco :like:
what about the 3rd taillight? Wouldn't want a Subaru running into me on the trail! :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
JcrOffroad

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow - Firecracker Red
You'd need some sort of supplementary brake/tail light to do that. Two 33's would be a minimum 66" which is near body width.
Correct, you would need to add some sort of stop, tail, turn into the bumper. Not impossible.

Jim1119

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Overland
Sure will. The Taco and the Gladiator have similar towing capacity and we integrated a boxed receiver-style hitch behind the bumper on those :like:
I don't have any photos here at home, but here are some screengrabs from the Taco install video. It's beef.

upload_2020-4-3_14-45-21.png

upload_2020-4-3_14-45-55.png
The more I look at this , the more I see it at as the best option. It would be perfect if

1. It had side protection and steps
2. It’s similar in price to the Taco version.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The more I look at this , the more I see it at as the best option. It would be perfect if

1. It had side protection and steps
2. It’s similar in price to the Taco version.
My only problem with the Tacoma bumper is that it's like 150lbs without swingouts and 225lbs with. That's a lot of weight to be hanging off the back even assuming you'll shave a chunk off by removing the bumper and hitch.

Jim1119

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My only problem with the Tacoma bumper is that it's like 150lbs without swingouts and 225lbs with. That's a lot of weight to be hanging off the back even assuming you'll shave a chunk off by removing the bumper and hitch.
Have you done the math? I’d guess a net gain of 100 lbs with swing outs? For me, that’s definitely worth it to get the spare tire out from under the truck where it’s a pain in the ass if you have a flat on the trail and also out of the bed so I can use it for other cargo.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Have you done the math? I’d guess a net gain of 100 lbs with swing outs? For me, that’s definitely worth it to get the spare tire out from under the truck where it’s a pain in the ass if you have a flat on the trail and also out of the bed so I can use it for other cargo.
I have with the Tacoma because I was trying to get around the paltry payload that made me sell the truck. I haven't with the JT because I can't find a weight for the factory bumper assy. nor the hitch.

Both use a hitch-supported bumper design and most Tacoma bumpers replace the heavy factory hitch (JCR is seemingly doing the same) which allows optimizing the weight a fair bit. Combined that is normally just shy of 90lbs off the rear of a Tacoma. The Victory rear is around 155lbs (with side protection and hitch replacement) using 3/16" steel vs something like the Rock Hard JT rear (with side protection but no hitch replacement) using 1/4" and coming in around 85-90lbs using 20% heavier steel for the shell.

It's 90lbs more from there for the Victory swing-outs and a single tire mount which is pretty typical from what I've seen among Tacoma bumpers.

For my use, I'd like to get rid of the hanging hitch so I was planning on trading someone for their brace and going with something like the RH bumper. If JCR can shed some pounds off that combo by integrating the hitch and include bedside protection, that's enough to get me to buy if the price is anywhere near reasonable. I don't tow much so for me, weight and price are going to be 90% of what drives my decision.

The huge benefit to the JCR/Victory design vs others is that most bumpers require welded-on tabs for the swing-outs at the time of purchase. With the modular design, they can be added later or it's super easy to have something fabbed up to meet an exact need.

And really, every spare location has its trade off whether it's lifting 80lbs to the roof, losing cargo space in the bed, dragging under-body spares over stuff, or dealing with swing-outs every day. I see benefits to each but with the added weight swing-outs require, the benefit had better outweigh the weight.

Jim1119

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have with the Tacoma because I was trying to get around the paltry payload that made me sell the truck. I haven't with the JT because I can't find a weight for the factory bumper assy. nor the hitch.

Both use a hitch-supported bumper design and most Tacoma bumpers replace the heavy factory hitch (JCR is seemingly doing the same) which allows optimizing the weight a fair bit. Combined that is normally just shy of 90lbs off the rear of a Tacoma. The Victory rear is around 155lbs (with side protection and hitch replacement) using 3/16" steel vs something like the Rock Hard JT rear (with side protection but no hitch replacement) using 1/4" and coming in around 85-90lbs using 20% heavier steel for the shell.

It's 90lbs more from there for the Victory swing-outs and a single tire mount which is pretty typical from what I've seen among Tacoma bumpers.

For my use, I'd like to get rid of the hanging hitch so I was planning on trading someone for their brace and going with something like the RH bumper. If JCR can shed some pounds off that combo by integrating the hitch and include bedside protection, that's enough to get me to buy if the price is anywhere near reasonable. I don't tow much so for me, weight and price are going to be 90% of what drives my decision.

The huge benefit to the JCR/Victory design vs others is that most bumpers require welded-on tabs for the swing-outs at the time of purchase. With the modular design, they can be added later or it's super easy to have something fabbed up to meet an exact need.

And really, every spare location has its trade off whether it's lifting 80lbs to the roof, losing cargo space in the bed, dragging under-body spares over stuff, or dealing with swing-outs every day. I see benefits to each but with the added weight swing-outs require, the benefit had better outweigh the weight.
Good feedback man thanks. I’m itching to get the full details on this thing. I could be installing it right now with all the time on my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.