Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Update edit:

Im no longer recommending people buy this thing. Ive started seeing mine forget ESS memory once in a while, and it will randomly change programs periodically. Yes, it works, but the QC issues are still there. Ive tried calling superchips/diablosport 5 separate times on 4 different days over the last 2 weeks and have never been able to get a hold of anyone to address the problem, with the longest time on hold being 45 minutes.

go with the livernois tune and a tazer And avoid the QC headaches. this thing still isnt ready for prime time.

Installed the @Superchips_Mrktg pulsar; bought from DiabloSport today and installed. With revision 3 and the sale they ran, i decided to give it a go. Installed it today and did a prolonged test drive.

ive been really hard on them and vocal about the QC issues, and i am keeping a skeptical eye out for funny sounds, CELs, random events etc. supposedly version 3 of the board has fixed all this, and today went smoothly with no issues noticed so far.

initial thoughts:
-install went fine. Seating the board to the ecm was easy, and it seems as though its sealed around the data ports just as well as the factory clamps.
—set up was easy, the ess memory is so nice
-the dead zone to pedal feedback is gone, which is great. The throttle strategy of “Tow” is imo the best throttle strategy. Performance is, imo, too twitchy where tow feels more 1:1. some of this perception could be coming from an overly deadened pedal For years. Leaving it on performance for a while and see how i feel after a few days of adjusting.
-idle is smooth, calibration/set up was easy and straight forward. No issues.
-power. its there. a 30hp increase is something you should feel, and pushing the throttle down you do. The push to the back of the seat is very different between stock and performance.

drivability is smooth. No sounds of missing/detonation observed.

how do you differentiate the difference between rapid pedal response and power? Get on the highway, manual mode to about 4k, and roll quickly into the throttle but dont hit the gear kick down switch. Looking ahead and not at the tac, youll feel more push to the seat back. Its absolutely there.

the second test was a back to back highway drive with cruise set to 80mph; once stock and once on performance. The cruise control cant be fooled by butt dyno antics of a quick pedal. When it hits the combination of requested throttle %, engine load, and other factors, it will trigger a down shift. If there is more power, we shouldnt need as much downshifting. Im happy to report in my initial test loop, it downshifted less. It held 8th up hills better where stock goes down to 7th, and performance goes to 7th when stock needs 6th. Ill keep evaluating this for consistency, but my initial impression was “wow. 80mph and no 7th gear back and forth?” It was a noticeable change from normal highway behavior.

another day of putzing around urban areas, and the next day Ill be doing a 150mi driving loop i do frequently to compare MPG change if any, and see if the transmission continues to feel less “busy” than stock.

my only complaint so far? The pedal response needs to be an option to change in the set up menu. Allow me to use the performance 91oct tune map with the linear pedal of Tow mode.

more to follow.
Sponsored

Last edited:

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Excellent write up. Was worries about the horror stories I read from past pulsars! Nice to see they’ve worked out the bugs

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Excellent write up. Was worries about the horror stories I read from past pulsars! Nice to see they’ve worked out the bugs
im cautiously optimistic right Now.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
200 mile loop completed in “performance” setting. . No hyper mileing games. Went from my usual 18.5mpg to 21.6. No other changes.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
So this is the $600 unit from DiabloSport? Good write up, thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Correct. I ordered direct to make sure i got latest version

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I know there were issues before but i also wonder if people mossed re installing the ground wire to the ecu bracket. I mounted it to the frame instead on re install.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I was one of the horror stories, but Edge/Superchips customer service is in my opinion one of the best. I am on my 3rd Pulsar (revision 3) and even had a try at the Traildash2 which was a nightmare for me. I put about 30,000 miles on the first two Pulsars and only a test drive on the TD2, I have almost 3,000 miles on the new Pulsar and so far, so good...I always liked it, but had random CEL, Traction Control and limp mode experiences with the first two. I could always clear them with either a shut off and wait a minute or with my scan tool. I have a Rubi with manual transmission, stock gears and 37's on 3.5" lift with a bunch of added weight from other mods...It is totally drivable. I like Tow the best as well...Performance definitely was nice with the 37's (never used it with my 35's) but doesn't justify the 91+ octane fuel. I always used Economy with my 35's unless I was actually towing. I went back to Economy the other day and it is still drivable with the 37's...I wind out 4th and 5th a little more than I used to, but with the reduction in RPMs from the 37's it all balances out.

I have a Gibson catback exhaust and throttle body spacer installed as well. I like me setup and a will not even think about a supercharger, but may consider 4.56 gears

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
200 mile loop completed in “performance” setting. . No hyper mileing games. Went from my usual 18.5mpg to 21.6. No other changes.
That’s not an insignificant improvement. Since you had it in performance mod did you notice any pepiness?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
That’s not an insignificant improvement. Since you had it in performance mod did you notice any pepiness?
power is noticeably improved. It didnt need 6th up any hill (usually does a couple times), and needed 7th much less frequently. The trans is much less “busy”. I used the cruise a lot (as i normally do) to differentiate how much of improvement was from power vs better throttle/pedal logic. Ie was this worth it over a Pedal Commander? For me, so far it is.

thinking about. 3mpg improvement, yeah ok thats “academic“ from a money standpoint, but on a trip thats another 60mi of tank range. That is not academic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Still going fine. Put on 37's and used Pulsar to set tire size to ECU. fuel economy over the last few days is equal to stock, so Im getting 17.5-18.0 with pulsar and 37's on stock gearing.

Gears get installed in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Actually i was off. My all combined average over the last 190mi is 18.6mpg on 37’s with pulsar and stock 4.10 gears

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Actually i was off. My all combined average over the last 190mi is 18.6mpg on 37’s with pulsar and stock 4.10 gears

That's not bad with the 4.10's. Once you get the correct gears on it your mileage should improve.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
That's not bad with the 4.10's. Once you get the correct gears on it your mileage should improve.
yeah i think so too. Id regear even if i didnt think it would. I dont get how people with 8spds dont regear on 37’s or even 35’s.

I think 5.13’s are going to be great.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Im no longer recommending people buy this thing. Ive started seeing mine forget ESS memory once in a while, and it will randomly change programs periodically. Yes, it works, but the QC issues are still there. Ive tried calling superchips/diablosport 5 separate times on 4 different days over the last 2 weeks and have never been able to get a hold of anyone to address the problem, with the longest time on hold being 45 minutes.

go with the livernois tune and a tazer And avoid the QC headaches. this thing still isnt ready for prime time.
Sponsored