First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Well, crawled under my JT a while ago to look at spring part numbers and discovered my right rear axle seal is leaking. Less than 1K miles on the truck. Guess I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

20210321_113554 (Medium).jpg
Sponsored

We are in trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Well, crawled under my JT a while ago to look at spring part numbers and discovered my right rear axle seal is leaking. Less than 1K miles on the truck. Guess I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 20210321_113554 (Medium)
I noticed the same thing on my 2021 Mojave today. less than 3500 miles. Did you get it fixed yet? What was your outcome?

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I noticed the same thing on my 2021 Mojave today. less than 3500 miles. Did you get it fixed yet? What was your outcome?
Waiting for an axle.
I made an appointment and took it in last Thursday morning. Took them all day to confirm it was leaking and tell me they had to order an axle to fix it. Back ordered of course.
They released the truck so at least I can drive it.

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Perhaps they already know that these leaks mean a warped or otherwise defective housing.

We are in trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Waiting for an axle.
I made an appointment and took it in last Thursday morning. Took them all day to confirm it was leaking and tell me they had to order an axle to fix it. Back ordered of course.
They released the truck so at least I can drive it.
Thanks for the update. I was afraid of that. I will be calling the dealer Monday morning.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Perhaps they already know that these leaks mean a warped or otherwise defective housing.
It’s much more likely that the seal was damaged when the bearing was pressed on, or when the axle shaft installed than a housing being bad.

We are in trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Do you have more details on that? Have there already been issues? Couldn't it just be a bad axel or improperly installed axel? Damn I would hate for it to be the whole housing.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
But you wouldn’t normally change an axle for a damaged seal. This fishy to me and experience tells me there is more to it than FCA cares to admit at this point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same passenger side rear axle leak on mine with less than 500 miles on it. I'll be pretty bummed if it requires a new axle straight from the factory.
Evidently they can't change just the seal.

ETA: After looking at pics and a diagram I get it. The seal is on the axle between the hub and bearing with a pressed on retainer holding it all together. Not like the old days when the seal was pressed into the housing and the axle was just slid in.
By the time someone tried to dismantle the axle assembly then put it back together it would probably be cheaper (and easier) to just replace the whole assembly. They can be had retail for less than $300.

Some online Mopar parts places are showing them in stock so we may get lucky.
As far as the failure I think it's most likely that the seal was damaged during assembly.

Last edited:

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Good info to know. Thanks.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Evidently they can't change just the seal.

ETA: After looking at pics and a diagram I get it. The seal is on the axle between the hub and bearing with a pressed on retainer holding it all together. Not like the old days when the seal was pressed into the housing and the axle was just slid in.
By the time someone tried to dismantle the axle assembly then put it back together it would probably be cheaper (and easier) to just replace the whole assembly. They can be had retail for less than $300.

Some online Mopar parts places are showing them in stock so we may get lucky.
As far as the failure I think it's most likely that the seal was damaged during assembly.
Dana 44s have worked this way since the '70s. If they are getting the replacement "loaded" axle shafts to slip into the existing housing, yes, I totally get that as being most economical. That's incredibly easy. I understood the previous posts to indicate the entire axle housing was being replaced.

Last edited:

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
This what I also understood.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Update.
That didn't take long. Got a call from the dealership yesterday that the new axle shaft had arrived. My installation appointment is next week. They want my JT all day which surprises me. I would think that would just be an hour or so job. Not going to complain. It's getting fixed.
Sponsored