Sponsored

I want a Gladiator but I’m concerned it’s not safe enough for a family vehicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet Silver Jeep Gladiator Mojave
This is long, sorry! Feel free to skip to the TLDR.

I’ve been in the market to replace my very boring 2011 Honda CR-V for 2 1/2 years now. I’m getting older and want to treat myself to a vehicle that makes me smile every time I see it. The Wrangler and Gladiator are the only vehicles that do so. Every time I pass one on the road I get excited to an extent that’s pretty ridiculous.

I’d have bought a Jeep when I first started looking 2 1/2 years ago but there’s one thing that held me back. For most of my life when anyone would ask me what I looked for in a car I said I want something that’s safe, has a good sound system, and a lot of cargo space. As you can probably guess the middling safety ratings for the Jeep is what’s held me back.

Not a big deal for me. I’m a safe driver and have never been in an accident. And a questionable safety rating compared to the alternatives wouldn’t be a big deal if I was just talking about my life. But now I have a young kid and I don’t know how to square this in my head. I’d feel personally responsible if my kid was injured or worse in an accident that was made worse because there’s no side curtain airbags in the rear or because there’s a substantial chance of rollover, even in a front offset crash.

So I spent over 2 years looking for some other kind of car, suv, or truck that I could drum up a similar amount of passion for. I checked out the Land Rover Defender, Ford Bronco, and RAM Rebel. I also went in a different direction and looked at some cool new EVs and other crossover to midsize SUVs like the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Tesla Model Y, Honda Element (lol), and others. At the end of the day, though, I don’t want a ‘nice’ car. I want a ‘fun’ car. And I don’t think there’s anything else that strikes a chord in me like a Jeep does.

Note that my wife has a newer Honda CR-V as well (lol) that we’d be keeping so it would always be available as a safe family car alternative except for when I need to take my kid someone, like daycare.

How does everyone look at this? How do you weigh your pros and cons? Am I overthinking or exaggerating the Wrangler and Gladiator’s safety issues?

And are there any recommended builds that prioritize on-road? Such as steel or plastic bumper: which is safer in a high-speed accident? Any significant difference in on-road between a Sport, Overland, and Rubicon?

And what about improving upon the Jeep’s safety with aftermarket customization. Such as lowering the center of gravity, adding some kind of thick padding around the roll bar and Hard Top where a rear passenger’s head could hit?

Thanks for reading.

TLDR: I’m obsessed with getting a Jeep Wrangler or Gladiator but feel guilty using it as a family car due to its poor crash rating. What should I do?
Sponsored

Last edited:

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Everything is relative. A new JT may objectively be safer than a 10 year old CR-V (ACC, blindspot monitoring?), and a higher ride-height may be an advantage in certain situations.

My mom had a convertible for a bit when we were kids. She used to make us wear helmets, lol. I think you have to do whatever it is that helps you sleep at night.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You might want to look into effectiveness or even danger to small children with side air bags. Maybe that will help the decision.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I used to exclusively drive classic cars. Few to no safety features at all. I had to install seatbelts in a few of them that never had them from new. "Safer than a Harley" was one of the joke phrases to brush off the risk. I was a super duper safe driver. Can't control those around me though. Some jackass ate my lunch head on, highway speed. I was in an '81 K10, so I had mass on my side, seat belts, and a collapsible steering column, full stop. Used every ounce of it, and made it. Safety is relative. Relative to your perception of risk, sure. More critically to this conversation, today's 4-star (or however many) is in a totally different league from yesterday's 4-star. The crash ratings get harder over time. You'd be shocked at what people can walk away from, and a modern car in the US is about as safe as you can get. I don't think there's anything for sale in the US market that I'd hesitate to get in. Or put my 19-month old daughter in. Don't worry about it too much. Drive safely, be aware of other drivers, and smile when you turn the key (or press the button, I guess...).

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's a very safe truck, really. Mine is loaded with all of the safety and advanced safety options, adaptive cruise - I LOVE IT, collision avoidance or whatever it's called, blind spot monitoring, auto high beam headlights and other stuff. They are nicely setup for child seats in the rear seat and have all the usual safeties in the locks and windows
I trust mine with family.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve been shuttling my family around in mine over the last year without any concern. My kid sits in the middle of the back seat so that she can see out the front. There is a shoulder harness belt for that position and if we got hit from the side I’m pretty sure she’d be safe.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
My bride was in insurance before she retired. She always commented that the insurance rates on new wranglers even for high school kids (yes, parents in Illinois buy their high school kids new cars - something it took me 60 years to do for the first time for myself) are very low. Insurance company actuaries don’t charge low premium for cars that wreck often and expensively.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Who ever told you their safety was poor lied.

As listed above, they get good marks.

My ‘09 JK unlimited Wrangler ended up in a total loss accident, wife hit the rear bumper of an F350 when a truck in front of it lost its load on the highway. Speeds were 55mph.

My wife came through great, not a single scratch. Slightly sore neck and l do shoulder from the seat belt.

Safety and design has only improved since we bought our JK.

The JT/JL is going to be safer.
Better programming on stability and traction control, better impact absorbing materials and mitigation tech.

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Only truck you're going to buy that has a factory stock full roll cage!

If you take the roof off you're more exposed obviously but any modern car is leaps and bounds safer than any vintage car. Even over a 5 to 10 year old car much less decades old.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I think a lot of people think modern Jeeps are unsafe because they look similar to old CJs, which were vilified by the old 60 minutes story. Since new jeeps look like CJs, they've never gotten over that rap by many in the general public. But in reality, the wrangler came about to improve upon the safety of the CJ and to make it more civilized. Wranglers and Gladiators still look and function like old CJs and Scramblers, but that's where the similarly ends.
Sponsored