You might be surprised...........

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
That's what I'm after - LOW profile, not up in the grill, stock look. (Not that it would necessarily cause over-heating I'm not going there), but I still prefer the low profile and would rather not mess with the grill appearance.
If you want a full width one Mopar is pretty much your only option that doesn't weigh a ton. I was concerned about payload (and I know you are as well). I ended up with a stubby after looking at how expensive the aluminum ones were and how damn heavy all the full width ones are.

I got the Rugged Ridge Arcus, I like the look, but honestly it is pretty much a winch plate with a thin shell.

What is making you move away from your plan of the front mounted hitch?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a full width one Mopar is pretty much your only option that doesn't weigh a ton. I was concerned about payload (and I know you are as well).

What is making you move away from your plan of the front mounted hitch?
Weight is part of it - the winch plus receiver mount plus the hardware and all would end up being about 100 pounds to lift to put into the receiver, and take back out again. Plus storage of the winch with receiver mount, moving it around, a way to connect and disconnect, etc.
And do I have it with me all the time, or just sometimes? Keep it in the back when not mounted in a receiver? Tie it down?

It's a pain lugging around just the bare 80 pounds of a winch all by itself and my back isn't getting any younger.

Still thinking about options.......... as I don't do off-roading, there's frankly nothing around here for that sort of thing, but still - how many times have I needed to move a car around, and I ended up using a come-along and chains.......
I have a windmill tower to move out of the yard to another location until I get it given away - a winch would sure help move that - pull it to where I want it.

I have the front receiver for moving the trailer, maybe get a receiver mount snow blade at some point, so I could still do a winch up there, but then - have the winch in the back and mount it when needed?

Things to think about.

OP
OP

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
Don’t forget your can mount the control box elsewhere for a low profile look

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A few more reasons for a 12k winch vs 10k, 9k ECT. Lower amp draw during pull, likely lower gear ratio in winch, larger motor for winch, less effort needed from winch. Larger cable/ rope on winch.
A few details on use of snatch blocks double line pull doubles pull minus 10% for friction loss per block (not exact but a safety / planning factor) something to remember.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A few details on use of snatch blocks double line pull doubles pull minus 10% for friction loss per block (not exact but a safety / planning factor) something to remember.
Really only need to worry about this if you are using a 5,000 pound winch on a 10,000 pound pull ;-)
Me - I have a habit of boring things out and replacing the plain bronze bushing with a ball bearing reducing friction to very low levels.
My SX4 with Jeep engine - I put a sealed ball bearing in the rear of the crankshaft to replace the normal bronze bushing "pilot bearing".
No more squealing angry elephants if it gets dry in cold weather. Got sick of having to tear things down after 100,000 miles due to an angry bull elephant sound in cold weather. Plus when those bronze pilot bearings get cold and drag it's not as easy to get into 1st, worse in reverse, as the input shaft wants to keep spinning. Won't happen now.

Even the paper towel dispenser in my shop has BALL BEARINGS. Be careful trying to take off one shop towel - the roll will just keep spinning and you get 10 instead.
Always looking to improve things.

Don’t forget your can mount the control box elsewhere for a low profile look
Yup - as shown in the linked thread. You can put it under the hood or where-ever, but next to the battery makes best sense as you reduce the cable run that way and it's as safe a spot as any.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Weight is part of it - the winch plus receiver mount plus the hardware and all would end up being about 100 pounds to lift to put into the receiver, and take back out again. Plus storage of the winch with receiver mount, moving it around, a way to connect and disconnect, etc.
And do I have it with me all the time, or just sometimes? Keep it in the back when not mounted in a receiver? Tie it down?

It's a pain lugging around just the bare 80 pounds of a winch all by itself and my back isn't getting any younger.

Still thinking about options.......... as I don't do off-roading, there's frankly nothing around here for that sort of thing, but still - how many times have I needed to move a car around, and I ended up using a come-along and chains.......
I have a windmill tower to move out of the yard to another location until I get it given away - a winch would sure help move that - pull it to where I want it.

I have the front receiver for moving the trailer, maybe get a receiver mount snow blade at some point, so I could still do a winch up there, but then - have the winch in the back and mount it when needed?

Things to think about.
There is. I got mine as a prep for off roading, but honestly it has paid for itself already in taking care of a few trees that were giving me problems. Totally get how it will help out other times.

Never thought about the weight it would be a major pain to move it, and even re-connect it time to time. plus you know the time it isn't being stored in the bed will be the time you need it. Just how Murphy's law works.

You make some good points, hearing all this permanent is the way to go, since you don't have the rubicon skid plates you will have a few more bumper options that I did, there is a lot on the market to chose from.

You can also move the solioned box since you hinted in one post that you are not a huge fan of the look of it being up there in front of the grill. I have since painted the fairlead black in bedliner because the silver was bothering me.

Jeep Gladiator 12,000lbs winch 1600008760643

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Really only need to worry about this if you are using a 5,000 pound winch on a 10,000 pound pull ;-)
Me - I have a habit of boring things out and replacing the plain bronze bushing with a ball bearing reducing friction to very low levels.
My SX4 with Jeep engine - I put a sealed ball bearing in the rear of the crankshaft to replace the normal bronze bushing "pilot bearing".
No more squealing angry elephants if it gets dry in cold weather. Got sick of having to tear things down after 100,000 miles due to an angry bull elephant sound in cold weather. Plus when those bronze pilot bearings get cold and drag it's not as easy to get into 1st, worse in reverse, as the input shaft wants to keep spinning. Won't happen now.

Even the paper towel dispenser in my shop has BALL BEARINGS. Be careful trying to take off one shop towel - the roll will just keep spinning and you get 10 instead.
Always looking to improve things.

Yup - as shown in the linked thread. You can put it under the hood or where-ever, but next to the battery makes best sense as you reduce the cable run that way and it's as safe a spot as any.
putting ball bearings in things is just so fun!. My mom had an old old dresser where the wooden track was no more. found a ball bearing slider at home depot that exceeded the weight requirments. Put this thing in and its hilarious. all other drawers must be fought, this one opens by pulling with one finger.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
putting ball bearings in things is just so fun!. My mom had an old old dresser where the wooden track was no more. found a ball bearing slider at home depot that exceeded the weight requirments. Put this thing in and its hilarious. all other drawers must be fought, this one opens by pulling with one finger.
LOL - love it.

Lest anyone think I'm kidding - I did pull the one part out of the paper towel holder so you could see the bearing, but the bearing on the shop towel roll dispenser you can see......
I was reminded when I went to get a single paper towl off the rear roll and ended up with the thing spinning off about 8 or 9 as I tried to do it one-handed. My other hand had solvent on it and I didn't want to touch the roll.
Front one for the shop towels is totally home-made. The rear one was just too hard to get the roll to move, so I added the bearings. HAHA - now I have the opposite trouble! Paper towels almost to the floor!

Anyway - I DO like the look of the stock bumper - but yours ain't bad. I'd prefer to have full-length on the highway, though, less wind and drag by the tires at speed. The option to remove the "wings" would be fine.
Heaven help the vehicle you ever hit with that thing or if anyone hits you - their vehicle is going to suffer great damage. Holw cow, those hooks!

Jeep Gladiator 12,000lbs winch IMG_20200913_104527

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Even the paper towel dispenser in my shop has BALL BEARINGS.
:like: well I do agree with that on use to increase capacity, two other reasons to do it too. Close to anchor point and on second wrap of line. Then reduce effort the winch has to exert and effectively reduction in amp draw.
If you're installing bearings in snatch block I'd like to see what roller bearings you use. Not doubting you I'd like to see it and wouldn't mind having mine done with roller bearings and seals too keep grease from contaminates.
I bet you can get some "reel" speed on your paper towel holder...:LOL: and need a fishing reel crank or brakes on it.
A reason I bring up the friction loss on snatch blocks is some testing of the Aluminum donut ring in use as snatch block has shown even higher friction loss. I got one earlier this year to try out. I can think of it having a few good other uses in winch operations. Change of line direction like 90% turns.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sealed bearings would be the thing. That's what I used for the pilot bearing in my SX4. I had to turn a bushing to make the bearing fit snug in the back of the crank. But that was easy with a lathe. And finding a bearing that was a good fit on the nose of the T5 input shaft took some doing. Had to search pages of sealed bearings. Didn't want it too loose or it could spin in the input shaft, but can't be too tight or it would be impossible to get the transmission back in place.
It's been in there for 33,000 miles and 7 years so far.
I have a big can of bearings I've collected over the years, and each time I do an alternator restoration, if the bearings are still good - and sometimes I get alternators that were recently rebuilt by someone else, or a reman, and the bearings are new - I ALWAYS replace bearings, and keep the take-outs if very good, for other uses. The bearings in my towel dispensers - front sealed bearings from alternators.
For larger bearings there are always rear axle bearings - those have to stand terrific forces! The pounding of a 4,000-5,000 pound car on the pavement, the lateral forces of a high-speed curve...... and there are bearings as used in my lathe and mill, or pull out the books and dig for just the right bearing and the bearing codes will say if they are open, sealed one side, or sealed both sides. Obviously for uses in mud and crud you want sealed both sides.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
LOL - love it.

Lest anyone think I'm kidding - I did pull the one part out of the paper towel holder so you could see the bearing, but the bearing on the shop towel roll dispenser you can see......
I was reminded when I went to get a single paper towl off the rear roll and ended up with the thing spinning off about 8 or 9 as I tried to do it one-handed. My other hand had solvent on it and I didn't want to touch the roll.
Front one for the shop towels is totally home-made. The rear one was just too hard to get the roll to move, so I added the bearings. HAHA - now I have the opposite trouble! Paper towels almost to the floor!

Anyway - I DO like the look of the stock bumper - but yours ain't bad. I'd prefer to have full-length on the highway, though, less wind and drag by the tires at speed. The option to remove the "wings" would be fine.
Heaven help the vehicle you ever hit with that thing or if anyone hits you - their vehicle is going to suffer great damage. Holw cow, those hooks!
I laugh at how they call that thing a "bumper" I don't thing it is doing any bumping if somebody hits it! I have not noticed any MPG drop on mine, but due to covid and me not attaching my doors I don't hit highways pretty much ever with the JT.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Which bumper is this? ARCUS?
Yep Arcus bumper with the smittybuilt 12k in it. I made a custom plate for the soliniod box to mount inside the bumper instead of on top.
Sponsored