2020 Jeep Gladiator Parking Light Wire Color

nielsensmn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hello everybody. Hoping someone can help me out here. I would like to wire a set of LED footwell lights to the switched parking lights. That way, the LED lights will illuminate once the parking lights are turned on in the cab. Does anyone know what wire color in the passenger side wiring harness the switched parking light is? I've spent hours looking for it and found the blue harness with the grey lock on the upper portion of the well seems to be where the wlres are placed. I just can not figure out which one is the parking light wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Hello everybody. Hoping someone can help me out here. I would like to wire a set of LED footwell lights to the switched parking lights. That way, the LED lights will illuminate once the parking lights are turned on in the cab. Does anyone know what wire color in the passenger side wiring harness the switched parking light is? I've spent hours looking for it and found the blue harness with the grey lock on the upper portion of the well seems to be where the wlres are placed. I just can not figure out which one is the parking light wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Don’t you have footwell lights already? Use the scroll wheel on the light switch to turn them on/off.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Looking at the pic that @Gatorized posted in his second pic you see the dial for the headlights on the left there are the two scroll wheels to the right of that. Of the two, the one on the left (middle of the three) adjusts the brightness of the foot well light in the cab. The one on the right adjusts the brightness of the dash lights.
Now, the foot well lights (one on the driver side and one on the passenger side) are not very bright so even turned up to high they are very hard to notice unless its very dark inside. Personally, I think the dash lights (gauges and HVAC switches) being brighter kinda drown out the lights under the dash on either side unless you’re really looking for it.
I myself have never really care but there are some that wanted brighter lights and were able to accomplish this by replacing the incandescent bulbs with brighter LEDs of the same type and then able to turn them brighter or dimmer with the scroll wheel next to the headlight dial. Another option would be installing the LED pod lights you were referring to and taping the Positive wire of the pod lights to the Postive wire of the factory bulbs thus allowing them to be dimmed to a comfortable setting (so long as the Pod lights are dimmable)

My suggestion would be to get a couple of LED bulbs of higher output (lumens) using the same power (wattage) to replace the existing bulbs first and see if that works for ya. I tried looking in the owners manual for the bulb type but it doesn’t list it in there. If you look under there and unplug one of the bulbs it should have the bulb type printed on the base and you can key that alphanumeric code in amazons search and see what you find.

Post an update on what you find for anyone else wanting to do the same thing...

OP
OP

nielsensmn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the pic that @Gatorized posted in his second pic you see the dial for the headlights on the left there are the two scroll wheels to the right of that. Of the two, the one on the left (middle of the three) adjusts the brightness of the foot well light in the cab. The one on the right adjusts the brightness of the dash lights.
Now, the foot well lights (one on the driver side and one on the passenger side) are not very bright so even turned up to high they are very hard to notice unless its very dark inside. Personally, I think the dash lights (gauges and HVAC switches) being brighter kinda drown out the lights under the dash on either side unless you’re really looking for it.
I myself have never really care but there are some that wanted brighter lights and were able to accomplish this by replacing the incandescent bulbs with brighter LEDs of the same type and then able to turn them brighter or dimmer with the scroll wheel next to the headlight dial. Another option would be installing the LED pod lights you were referring to and taping the Positive wire of the pod lights to the Postive wire of the factory bulbs thus allowing them to be dimmed to a comfortable setting (so long as the Pod lights are dimmable)

My suggestion would be to get a couple of LED bulbs of higher output (lumens) using the same power (wattage) to replace the existing bulbs first and see if that works for ya. I tried looking in the owners manual for the bulb type but it doesn’t list it in there. If you look under there and unplug one of the bulbs it should have the bulb type printed on the base and you can key that alphanumeric code in amazons search and see what you find.

Post an update on what you find for anyone else wanting to do the same thing...
The scroll wheel is a good idea. I would like the LED multi color footwell lights to stay on when these parking lights are on, not in unison with the existing lighting. Using the darkening/lightening scroll wheel all the way inthe locked/up postion will mean the existing footwell lights will stay on w/ the LED lights I installed. Don't like that. What is the color wire on the scroll wheel that corresponds to the parking lights......or possibly the fog lights? Seeing they are both switched, I could use them. Maybe?

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The scroll wheel is a good idea. I would like the LED multi color footwell lights to stay on when these parking lights are on, not in unison with the existing lighting. Using the darkening/lightening scroll wheel all the way inthe locked/up postion will mean the existing footwell lights will stay on w/ the LED lights I installed. Don't like that. What is the color wire on the scroll wheel that corresponds to the parking lights......or possibly the fog lights? Seeing they are both switched, I could use them. Maybe?
The existing footlights are pretty subdued. I doubt you would notice they were on.

OP
OP

nielsensmn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The existing footlights are pretty subdued. I doubt you would notice they were on.
Thank you guys for all your help. Guess we are getting off the main idea/attempt. Yes, they did great with the existing footwell lighting. However, I like being able to pick/choose a color for my footwell lighting and had that in my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and loved it. Want to do that to the Gladiator. Just looking for a switched wire color I can use in order to turn then on when the parking lights or maybe the fog lights are on. Don't want them on in the day, just the night.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys for all your help. Guess we are getting off the main idea/attempt. Yes, they did great with the existing footwell lighting. However, I like being able to pick/choose a color for my footwell lighting and had that in my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and loved it. Want to do that to the Gladiator. Just looking for a switched wire color I can use in order to turn then on when the parking lights or maybe the fog lights are on. Don't want them on in the day, just the night.
Not trying to deviate from your request - thought you could pull the bulbs from the floor lights and tap into that switched source for your colored lights.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
If you look in the manual it tells you where there is a bundle of switched leads under the Passenger side dash if you have the auxiliary switches. 4 power leads for the 4 switches and one power lead that is tied to the ignition. If you have a lighting system that you can change the colors on then it should have an on/off mode as well. Tie into that lead and the lights will go out when you shut off the truck and come on when you start. As said the factory footwell lights are done dim they won’t even be noticed but you can always just pull those bulbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

nielsensmn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to deviate from your request - thought you could pull the bulbs from the floor lights and tap into that switched source for your colored lights.
That wouldn't work. As the dome light is also switched to the footwell courtesy lighting. Don't want the dome light on with the footwell lighting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
That wouldn't work. As the dome light is also switched to the footwell courtesy lighting. Don't want the dome light on with the footwell lighting. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Actually, No it’s not. Two different lights. Cranking the scroll wheel in the right (the one that adjust dash brightness) all the way up will turn on the doom lights and courtesy floor lights. The ambient footwell lighting that provides the soft glow on the front floorboards is controlled by the left scroll wheel and had nothing to do with the dome lights. Two different lights down there.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob

Depend on the trim level the of the JT, not all have foot well lighting.

If footwell lighting is part of the trim, there is a 3-prong plug to a small LED light under the drives and passengers dash, probably the easiest place to access or tap into these wires. The black wire is a common ground, from the headlight control, the left wheel controls the footwell lights (white wire with green stripe), the right wheel controls the dash and dome lights (yellow wire with violet stipe).

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 7.57.34 AM.png

I noticed that if rotate the right wheel to the first indent (dash lights max bright all off the time) the footwell lights turns off.

Edit: note be carful, I believe these wires are part of the CAN bus circuits. Also, the easiest place to access the park light circuit would be the trailer plug (on a 20 amp fuse by itself) next would be the rear taillight circuits at the rear of the JT.

Granite20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Gladiator
Anyone had success trying this?

mfisher0000

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler Sahara, and BMW X3
Occupation
College Administrator
Yes! I did this mod on my 2011 Sahara so I still had several of these LED lights in my shop! I just picked up my 2021 Gladiator Willys Ed. last week. It has Nav, premium sound, cold weather pkg, all the bells and whistles so I was blown away that my left dial for ambient lights did nothing. Can’t imagine why this wouldn’t be standard on all models!! Anyway thanks to the diagram by Mazeppa, this was an hour mod. Note: the drivers side skids off the bracket, the passenger side has a screw in the bracket and then a retainer on the wire to remove so you can get to the wire. I used a razor blade to trim the plastic on the wire and fed it into the end of the connector so I didn’t have to splice into the factory wires. Drilled a small hold in the factory light bracket and then super glued the LED in. Left dial works as a rheostate as it should!
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Parking Light Wire Color 3E3B1E6F-9452-4204-89E0-60406502303F
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Parking Light Wire Color 5B243BCD-F262-43F5-9606-E8EF8ACF5B72
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Parking Light Wire Color 3449C6E4-40A7-491A-B8D5-5CD741B7D25A
Jeep Gladiator 2020 Jeep Gladiator Parking Light Wire Color 0956E4C2-00B6-4E1E-883F-93EEAD39961F

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone know how much power is coming from the courtesy light wire in the footwell? I was going to splice into and run to my bus bar for my rock lights so they turned on when I unlock the jeep. The rock lights are .42a each and I have 10. Will there be enough juice? I am running them off aux 3 and will use a 1 way diode to prevent backflow either way.
Sponsored