Sponsored

2023 Gladiator Sport, sloppy steering after 3.5” Metalcloak addition.

BigFishPA

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 3500
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Hey guys- I’m trying to get some ideas regarding my sloppy steering. My 2023 Gladiator sport has less than 1k miles. It steered fine with 35” KO2’s, but once I added the 3.5” Metalcloak lift, it now has really sloppy steering. I even added the Falcon adjustable shocks on all 4’s and added the Falcon adjustable steering stabilizer. I’ve tried all settings from firm to medium to soft and now back to firm. Nothing has helped so far. The alignment shop says everything is aligned and spot on. I realize ‘I lifted the truck’ yet it’s so bad my wife hates driving it and I’m worried about accidents at higher speeds.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
TIA!
Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
What is your castor set at? Incorrect caster after a lift can give bad steering. Plus what size tires and air pressure are you running? All info to help us suggest corrections.

OP
OP

BigFishPA

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 3500
Occupation
Systems Engineer
What is your castor set at? Incorrect caster after a lift can give bad steering. Plus what size tires and air pressure are you running? All info to help us suggest corrections.
Metalcloak calls for the upper control arms set at 19.75” (6 degree castor angle).
Tires are 35” KO2’s at 28psi.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Metalcloak calls for the upper control arms set at 19.75” (6 degree castor angle).
Tires are 35” KO2’s at 28psi.
Might look at 6.5 degrees caster but I'd we leery of going higher as numbers above that "MAY" introduce other issues.
But first - can you please define "sloppy"?
Does it not return to center easily after a turn?
Is there PLAY in your steering wheel -meaning do you need to move the wheel 1" or more before the truck responds and realizes you want to straighten or turn?
Does it pull - meaning if left to its own devices, would it veer left or right? OR does it wander aimlessly like a drunk? (no offense intended to those who enjoy their brews)

Have you done the chalk test to see if that pressure is right for YOUR truck's weight?

OP
OP

BigFishPA

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 3500
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Might look at 6.5 degrees caster but I'd we leery of going higher as numbers above that "MAY" introduce other issues.
But first - can you please define "sloppy"?
Does it not return to center easily after a turn?
Is there PLAY in your steering wheel -meaning do you need to move the wheel 1" or more before the truck responds and realizes you want to straighten or turn?
Does it pull - meaning if left to its own devices, would it veer left or right? OR does it wander aimlessly like a drunk? (no offense intended to those who enjoy their brews)

Have you done the chalk test to see if that pressure is right for YOUR truck's weight?
Hi - yes, play in the steering is a better description. You’ll need to turn it an inch before it responds. It doesn’t pull left or right, and performs really well other than the play.
Thanks for the responses so far, great questions!

Sponsored

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
You may want to increase that castor some. I am running 6.5 to 7 degrees of castor and it tracks and responds effortlessly with very little steering input. I am running a 3" lift with 38x13.50 Patagonia MT's at 35 psi. Also running the synergy pinon/trackbar support.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
(Assuming the lift kit included shock relocation brackets or new shocks, longer swaybar links, and an adjustable trackbar to get the vehicle recentered)

Longer arms correct caster angle, but not geometry.
For that you would need geometry correction brackets.

You should not have that much free play in the steering wheel.
Check all associated bolts, and linkages to insure proper torque.
If everything is snug and in good shape then you may want to try to remove the free play via the adjustment on the top of the steering gearbox. Take small steps, moving the adjustment screw about a clock position at a time until free play is mitigated.

There's red Loctite on the the locking nut, so heat will be required.
Be careful to not melt the tube at the bottom of the washer reservoir.

Edit - I see it's a 23 now.

Last edited:

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Did you have the truck aligned to determine your caster and toe in/out. What are the specs from your alignment report? On a new vehicle you would expect all components to be on good shape. However, it is a Jeep thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
Did you have the truck aligned to determine your castor and toe in/out. What are the specs from your alignment report? On a new vehicle you would expect all components to be on good shape. However, it is a Jeep thing.
On my 2023 the track bar, tie rod, steering box bolts, drag link, etc were super scary loose from the factory

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
On my 2023 the track bar, tie rod, steering box bolts, drag link, etc were super scary loose from the factory
Not me running out to my 23' now to check....

Darkspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTDR
Not me running out to my 23' now to check....
For example I loosened most of it with a box end wrench like it had been run up but not torqued. When I removed the nuts to the tie rod it fell out on the ground like it had never been torqued. Handled better after torquing everything and stopped the steering box from moving