Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Curious-cruising in auto mode, at what rpm does the "helpng" downshift occur and when does the torque converter drop out? By that I mean when can you feel the tranny "let go" and the truck is coasting. Asking because I prefer a manual but max tow is auto only.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Curious-cruising in auto mode, at what rpm does the "helpng" downshift occur and when does the torque converter drop out? By that I mean when can you feel the tranny "let go" and the truck is coasting. Asking because I prefer a manual but max tow is auto only.
Manual mode is only used on hill or mountains when transmission frequently shifts back and forth between gears to maintain rpm range. Other times manual mode is not used to achieve maximum mpg.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
I can also attest that manual mode while towing makes a huge difference. I’m pulling a 6100lb (fully loaded) travel trailer, and was ready to trade the truck before trying manual shifting. Now I set my cruise control at 62-63 on the highway and use manual shifting. I’m able to use 6th and 7th gear most of the time, and pull most grades in 5th. Prior to using manual mode it would constantly hunt gears and hold high rpms for way longer than it needed to in 4th and 5th gear most of the time. Without manual I would see trans temps at 215 frequently, now using manual Im usually at 201-205. Game changing difference!

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can also attest that manual mode while towing makes a huge difference. I’m pulling a 6100lb (fully loaded) travel trailer, and was ready to trade the truck before trying manual shifting. Now I set my cruise control at 62-63 on the highway and use manual shifting. I’m able to use 6th and 7th gear most of the time, and pull most grades in 5th. Prior to using manual mode it would constantly hunt gears and hold high rpms for way longer than it needed to in 4th and 5th gear most of the time. Without manual I would see trans temps at 215 frequently, now using manual Im usually at 201-205. Game changing difference!
Great comment! I swear by it. Glad you’ve found the benefits of doing it. Using the powerband to your advantage vs breaking the sound barrier to get where your going is just good practice.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Let me try again. Jeep advertises the transmission will downshift automatically to assist with braking. At what rpm, on level ground or downgrade, does the downshift occur without manual intervention. The second question is at what rpm does the torque converter release and allow the truck to coast as if neutral was selected but staying in Automatic mode? For example-In the F150, I maintain 70 mph and release the accelerator. The tach shows an immediate drop from 2000 to 750. Speed slowwwly comes down. This tells me the torque converter is no longer providing any coupling and the downshifts can be felt and verified by the tach only in the last few feet before a complete stop, using brakes. Very annoying for some one accustomed to a true manual with a real clutch where I can choose when and where to shift, up or down. Manual mode is not the same as a manual gearbox because of the torque converter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Let me try again. Jeep advertises the transmission will downshift automatically to assist with braking. At what rpm, on level ground or downgrade, does the downshift occur without manual intervention. The second question is at what rpm does the torque converter release and allow the truck to coast as if neutral was selected but staying in Automatic mode? For example-In the F150, I maintain 70 mph and release the accelerator. The tach shows an immediate drop from 2000 to 750. Speed slowwwly comes down. This tells me the torque converter is no longer providing any coupling and the downshifts can be felt and verified by the tach only in the last few feet before a complete stop, using brakes. Very annoying for some one accustomed to a true manual with a real clutch where I can choose when and where to shift, up or down. Manual mode is not the same as a manual gearbox because of the torque converter.
Ok ,let me see if I can answer it this time. To answer your first question, yes the 8 speed does help in downgrades to maintain effective braking. As to the exact rpm point that happen, would depend on the grade or flat surface. I only use manual when climbing and not on decent. I can’t tell you when that shift point is.
On the second question? Again I do not have that tech data to properly answer that for you. I’m just an old guy sharing his knowledge of what works for me. Manual mode is not meant for use like a “manual” but offer an option to relieve stress on transmission when in conditions where it is over worked by towing.

Just my opinion.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Ok ,let me see if I can answer it this time. To answer your first question, yes the 8 speed does help in downgrades to maintain effective braking. As to the exact rpm point that happen, would depend on the grade or flat surface. I only use manual when climbing and not on decent. I can’t tell you when that shift point is.
On the second question? Again I do not have that tech data to properly answer that for you. I’m just an old guy sharing his knowledge of what works for me. Manual mode is not meant for use like a “manual” but offer an option to relieve stress on transmission when in conditions where it is over worked by towing.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for the clarification. Can you see the tach needle move higher with each automatic mode downshift and does the rpm come down slowly to a point and then drop to idle rpm? My truck has overdrive lockout. I activate it 100% of the time except for highway travel. Even then, I use it to downshift and slow for on and off ramps. No heavy braking or drama. Around town I manually downshift to 2nd for down hill grades and this is with a so called self learning, dumb as a stump tranny. I do not know what the computer uses to determine shift points. I do know the programming is not capable of reacting to road conditions as well as I can. My brakes last a looong time and I loose no speed towing on hills by using the manual mode just as you have described. Manual shift VW, Datsun, MG and Jeep all graced my driveway since 1974 not to mention the dozen or so motorcycles. Cheers.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification. Can you see the tach needle move higher with each automatic mode downshift and does the rpm come down slowly to a point and then drop to idle rpm? My truck has overdrive lockout. I activate it 100% of the time except for highway travel. Even then, I use it to downshift and slow for on and off ramps. No heavy braking or drama. Around town I manually downshift to 2nd for down hill grades and this is with a so called self learning, dumb as a stump tranny. I do not know what the computer uses to determine shift points. I do know the programming is not capable of reacting to road conditions as well as I can. My brakes last a looong time and I loose no speed towing on hills by using the manual mode just as you have described. Manual shift VW, Datsun, MG and Jeep all graced my driveway since 1974 not to mention the dozen or so motorcycles. Cheers.
Great use of manual mode. You explained it far better than this old mind could.😊

Bigbrownpilot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired pilot
Best I've seen not towing or hauling anything is around 21 mpg. I was only getting around 19 before adding a tonneau cover. We live in the N Georgia mountains, and there's lots of up-and-down driving, so my mileage is probably a bit worse than average.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I use manual mode all the time coming down the hill AND when I see a CHP and want to slow down without braking. It works exactly as I would expect it to having driven automatics and manuals for >35 years. Downshift manually, the engine RPM climbs to match the new gearing, vehicle slows due to engine compression braking.

If the new Fords react like that, it would REALLY piss me off! What are they thinking?

Some kind of coasting to fake improved fuel economy?

In automatic mode, I'm VERY pleased with how the ZF automatic holds gears, for that matter. I come to a stop sign after accelerating from another one, say a block to block transition, and it stays in second and gives me engine braking into the next stop. Same with downhill, I get off the gas, it holds the gear. It's a great transmission.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Best I've seen not towing or hauling anything is around 21 mpg. I was only getting around 19 before adding a tonneau cover. We live in the N Georgia mountains, and there's lots of up-and-down driving, so my mileage is probably a bit worse than average.
I find short trips always makes it worse.

OP
OP
Summitsearcher

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use manual mode all the time coming down the hill AND when I see a CHP and want to slow down without braking. It works exactly as I would expect it to having driven automatics and manuals for >35 years. Downshift manually, the engine RPM climbs to match the new gearing, vehicle slows due to engine compression braking.

If the new Fords react like that, it would REALLY piss me off! What are they thinking?

Some kind of coasting to fake improved fuel economy?

In automatic mode, I'm VERY pleased with how the ZF automatic holds gears, for that matter. I come to a stop sign after accelerating from another one, say a block to block transition, and it stays in second and gives me engine braking into the next stop. Same with downhill, I get off the gas, it holds the gear. It's a great transmission.
I couldn’t agree more.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Ah. So the slushbox will hold onto a gear longer to allow for compression braking? What manner of sorcery is this? How does it know? Are ther chassis attitude sensors used by the ECU? Are the settings just arbitrary? I doubt any algorithm can perform as well as a joined at the hip brain and third pedal.
Sponsored