Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Ah, I was wondering that myself, that would make sense.
Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Great trip! The mileage is common for the terrain and travel but hey, since you don’t tow it every day keep on trucking. Your non tow mileage is awesome! To me that’s what counts.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
That is awesome, we just finished a month out west leaving from Wisconsin and returning to TN on our trip. We also hit Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. I am positive I saw your truck and airstream several times on our trip. We were also in Cedar City Utah and that is where my girlfriend nearly killed me because In my search for the perfect BLM campsite we ended up on a shelf road in the dark.

great pictures and I was wondering how well your JT was towing that Airstream.

here is one pic from our trip

2A1B5F18-7EC9-4E86-B138-3986573A4065.jpeg

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for sharing, what a great trip. Glad the trip was fun with only a few hiccups. A friend of mine said “you don’t buy a Jeep for the gas mileage”.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
How do you like that Bambi? Looks like the 16ft version? Thinking about that or the Basecamp for my 6 speed Rubi.

Sponsored

Sprinkler-Fitter

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Installed fire sprinklers (retired)
With your forum name, how do your two fit in that camper, it looks tiny?

• Wow
Reactions: KVJ
OP
OP
TheFatMan

TheFatMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator, 2014 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Retired
The forum name is an homage to the late, great Jerry Garcia. The fat man rocks! While not thin by any standard, we were quite comfortable in the rear bunk. It’s advertised as a queen size but is much smaller.
@XJADDICTION
i saw your rig too, nice! We camped in cedar breaks in the campground at the national monument. Was beautiful. We had clear skies and stayed out late until it got cold just staring up at the stars.
@Iamstubb
I like the Bambi. It has all that we need and very little we don’t. I also like the Basecamp a lot and my wife probably likes it better. Get what works.

As to the discussion about the gauges…. I don’t know. When I bought the thing, I looked at several and this was the most lightly optioned one I could find. No premium audio, tiny touch screen, no sat nav, 6 speed manual. If it came with hand crank windows, I’d have gotten them. I’m kind of an automotive luddite. The more electronic crap there is in a car, the more things can go on the fritz. Face it, it’s rarely the engine or transmission that causes the thing to go in for extended service explorations, it’s the electronic stuff I have a waterproof Garmin gps that usually sits between the handlebars of an old air cooled BMW R100GSPD bike. I use that for nav. I like listening to audiobooks when I drive so my one concession is usb audio connection to my phone for books on audible. I added a 2m/70cm ham radio and programmed all the repeater pairs for where we were headed and that was about it. Where I live, no dealership for any brand is really close, so service is a PIA. Also, I like shifting gears. Keeps me involved in the process.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
That's interesting, I always assumed the lower models were just analog. I have a MT Sport S but analog. Wonder what package you have that gets the digital gauges?.
I have a Sport S also. It came with the digital. ButIhave every option package known to man so I have the 8.4 screen, dual auto, all the safety features of ACC FCW, remote start, passive entry, etc etc etc. There really isnt anything you cannot get in the Sport S except the 33s, lockers, Offroad+, front camera etc that the Rubicon has. Basically the specific to heavy offroading. Other than that the world is anything for the Sport S You can get leather, you name it. But I wanted the payload and towing. So I built a 58K Sport S :)

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
OP, you should really delete Kodachrome from your post, that place is trash and no one needs to ever visit it. It's ugly, dirty, and attracts all sorts of ner-do-wells. The Kodachrome campground is the worst place imaginable. I've stayed there multiple times and it's horrible. Absolutely horrible.

The town of Escalante also has a nice pub on the west side of town, before the visitor center.

(the first paragraph is sarcasm, if anyone has a broken sarcasm meter)

MyronM

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Loan Officer
I would consider your fuel economy reasonable. I get about 13mpg on a good day pulling my Airstream Basecamp 20X. We tried a smaller trailer but quickly traded up. Take a look at a BlueOx TrackPro Weight Distribution Hitch. It works well for my Overland + Airstream.

RichDSport

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Rubicon, Mini
I'm really happy with the automatic in the Rubicon, but man 21-22 around town? I bet I could do a lot better than the 14.5 I get most of the time. I also get around 13.5 while towing a smaller trailer than the Bambi. When going over the high passes of Colorado, I switch to manual mode and it makes it easy to keep a speed. Really like your setup!
Sponsored