Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
So, my Max tow, FireCracker Red JT has more dirt road and Trailer towing miles than street miles. Over all, I'm impressed. I'm towing a 2018 Jayco 174 BH Baja. weighing in at 4200 lbs loaded. 3 Coleman mini bikes are strapped to the bed too. Been through creek crossings, ATV trails, chainsawed my way up motorcycle paths in remote country (Thanks Zane for the help) and survived the Yellowstone loops without the trailer at 28 mpg, way surprised. I'm still running stock tires, although I did get a sidewall rock gash and had to replace the driver side front. 4 wheel drive works smooth when used. I added the Jeep brand mud flaps to save my trailer but I also noticed that even with the front mud flaps my rear fenders are picking up significant rock-sandblasting from the front tires. I'm very happy with my decision to go with the black fenders even though I love the look of the painted ones. SLUSH MATS- A must! Pop exploded in the passenger seat and the slush mat saved the day. 10 year old woke up from a dead sleep in the back seat with explosive vomit, I directed her to the backseat slush mat and it caught 95% of it. Next, front grille bra, I know its saved the front from rocks and its holding up well. Trailer towing; I use a Blue Ox hitch and I cinch my trailer down tight, when I didn't, I got some sway, (keep in mind this is an 18' single axle trailer) but when Its tight, it goes down the highway nice, but it feels best around 65-70, and thats where the best mpg is anyway. With the trailer on mostly level road I get 11-14 mpg. I pulled this same trailer last year with a 2004 Durango with a Hemi (8-9 MPG) and the JT does everything the hemi did because of the transmission in the JT. I love it. I have the basic stuff, 5" screen, and no add ons. The basic stereo works great, I did add an 8" powered woofer for $90 and it helps a little, but still sounds great stock. I have the soft top and I love the ease of use. 2 clips and its down, if it gets to dusty or cold, 2 clips and its up again. surprisingly quiet when going down the road to. Our main car is a Lexus RX450h, so you know we like quiet. I've been through 20"-30" creek crossings and mud puddles, not a problem. Yanked stumps out 8" in diameter. Everything is still working. I've had to use my touch up paint, both the pen and the spray can, and if there is one thing I would say to get, its the touch up paint. I'll spray coat/bed liner the bed when I go to sell it, no point in messing up a new bed liner now. I may add seat covers since I got the cloth seats, and since I have the ragtop and use it, I'm very glad I don't have sun baked black leather seats greeting my bum everytime I plant my butt in the seat. So far so good. If you have any questions about something that I didn't cover ask. I got this to be a 4x4 & trailer towing truck, and part time Razor when the trailer gets dropped and its doing just that. I also respect that JEEP didn't put a 4x4 sticker on it so you could tell the 4x4's from the 4x2's, because it does only come in 4x4, and I think a little less of trucks that have to identify themselves as 4x4's with said sticker. The JT is a smaller truck with a big heart and amazing 4x4 capabilities. I picked this special order JT up on 7-3, and its 7-29 at the time of this report. Its basic, I'm in it $38k before taxes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
Great write up. Appreciate you posting the feedback.:jk: Rule

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Thank you! Great to hear. So basically you drove miles of dirt, forded streams, hauled stuff, have sort of 'lived' in it, and you are completely happy. Good deal!

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have a rubicon, in a month or so I will trailing a 84 Chevy c30 lifted 6 inches from North Alabama to west va, on a deck over trailer, I will post a picture and trip reports when done.

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I would love to see pics if you have any! Especially it hooked up and loaded up!

Sponsored

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
You have the Sport, not the Sport S?
If so post pics, I want to order a bare bones Sport with the hand crank windows

OP
OP
Trippin01

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
That's great! Love your Sport and the paces you put it through!!

Now your Jayco Baja has better shocks and tires than a standard trailer. So what type of terrain do you feel comfortable taking it on? What are some examples, etc. Thanks!!

OP
OP
Trippin01

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
here is one of my favorites, complete Jeep/Razor trail. I had to chainsaw my way in the 1st time I took my trailer. very steep and rough.
https://earth.google.com/web/@44.48...5724t,0r/data=ChUaEwoLL2cvMXZoa2s4OHoYASABKAI
Went here without the trailer, way worse, got a side wall blow out at the top.
https://earth.google.com/web/@44.50...675.96926177d,35y,0.00000001h,42.3726577t,-0r
Wow doing that on the stock all season tires no less! For our JLU Sport I was able to pick up some barely used Rubicon wheels and tires for a good deal. Those would save you some future trouble.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trippin01

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
actually the Max tow comes with the 31" Bridgestone Dueler's. I am going to get some Cooper 34" Discoverer AT3's but I'm on rocks and dirt roads mostly. When I got the driver side tire replaced I noticed that Bridgestone updated the tread design to something different and way better for snow, so we'll see what the future brings. I don't want to go to big and 34's are about all that will fit on the stock wheels plus I don't want to mess with the Max Tow specs or gas mileage to much. Its a 3rd vehicle so functionality needs to be realistic for trailer towing, and a little bit of 4 x4'n. It's far more capable than my 2004 Durango was. And the most important feature on this rig is, Cruising distance off road. I love how far I can go with the 22 gallon tank.

smess

So the big question is:

Several people are complaining that the electronic power assist or whatever its called "the steering" is all over the road and loose? Some people have said that its so bad their daughter and wife are afraid to drive it. One guy said he test drove a Rubicon and decided not to buy it due to this.

How do you think it drives?

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Great write up and trip report, sure ALL on here appreciate your insight and offering..

Thank you and keep Jeeping...

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
So the big question is:

Several people are complaining that the electronic power assist or whatever its called "the steering" is all over the road and loose? Some people have said that its so bad their daughter and wife are afraid to drive it. One guy said he test drove a Rubicon and decided not to buy it due to this.

How do you think it drives?
I think it may be the tires, I noticed this on both my jlur and my jtr, but after a couple thousand miles they were both fine. It's not that it wanders, but the tires track grooves/ruts in the pavement when new until they wear in a little. On fresh pavement they don't wander at all but on older roads that have grooves worn in they track, at last they did new.
Sponsored