First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
We have 2 boys (5 and 2) with a third coming in April next year. We used to have a RDX and Nissan Frontier, but when we got a second kid we decided to supersize by selling the RDX and buying a Subaru Ascent (same as above, captains chairs in the 2nd row - I've heard it called the minivan for people that don't want to own a minivan). We could hardly take the Frontier anywhere because w/ rear facing car seats the front passenger had their knees in their face. The Ascent + Frontier has worked out well for 2 kids, but when we go anywhere on a trip the Ascent is packed to the brim, not sure how it will work with a third, so more stuff and less cargo space (since a third row seat will have to be in use).

That was one of the perks of the Gladiator is how much back seat space there is, so potential for putting 3 kids in the backseat and no (or maybe less?) complaints from the wife about leg room, plus plenty of cargo space. Honestly if I had a Gladiator from the beginning, we may have felt content keeping the RDX... Ascent has been great though, very convenient, nice ride, we have been happy with it.

Every manufacturer out there makes a 3 row so plenty of options. From my research, the highest rated were the Toyota Highlander, Kia Telluride, VW Atlas and the Ascent - I'm surprised there are so many thumbs up from the MDX crowd here, more power to you. What sold us on the Ascent was price point + safety features + positive reviews, also nice to have true AWD.
Sponsored

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
Congrats on the 3rd tricycle motor. My wife and I have 3 younger kids only one in a carpet though. But between the mega cab dodge one ton and the gladiator its never been a problem getting where we need to go. If need more room we just take both vehicles. Or get our oldest to loan us her SUV lol she never passes up a chance to drive either one our trucks lol

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
Or there's always another choice. Do like my parents tried to do ( with no success of course lol) trade the kids for a vehicle made for 2 and kid problems solved lmao. Don't go all Karren on that folks it's just a joke. Well kinda, we were bad kids and my parents did actually threatened to gives us too the nomads a few times or threatened many times to just leave us on the side of the hiway to find our own way home. :CWL:

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I'll be stuck in this situation pretty soon. I have two kids and my wife has been hinting for another. Our 2014 ford escape has been bulletproof but after the kids strap in there carseats and us in front the only seat left is in between them and its like sitting in between a sardine can. The escape has 92k miles and ill eventually have to trade her in on a 3rd row.

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'll be stuck in this situation pretty soon. I have two kids and my wife has been hinting for another. Our 2014 ford escape has been bulletproof but after the kids strap in there carseats and us in front the only seat left is in between them and its like sitting in between a sardine can. The escape has 92k miles and ill eventually have to trade her in on a 3rd row.
Yep, I'm sure. At least it's getting up there in mileage. Our other vehicle is a CX-5 and only around 50k miles. I like to get cars to 100k at least before trading, so holding out hope!

We've gotten along fine the past two months with three across in that second row. But of course it is Covid so we aren't going too many places, especially with all 5 in the vehicle, so interested to see how it goes. They seem to have enough space for now, but as they get bigger they'll need it. We'll see!

I do want to see how the 3 row Cherokees look. I don't think I'm gonna want to pony up the cash for the Wagoneer

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Or there's always another choice. Do like my parents tried to do ( with no success of course lol) trade the kids for a vehicle made for 2 and kid problems solved lmao. Don't go all Karren on that folks it's just a joke. Well kinda, we were bad kids and my parents did actually threatened to gives us too the nomads a few times or threatened many times to just leave us on the side of the hiway to find our own way home. :CWL:
I like the perspective of not getting a 3 row, so thanks! Just leaves a lot more options open for that next car.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have 4 kids in my JT as a daily driver. 14, 12, 7 and 7.
No wife. Zero issues.

So my wonderful wife just gave birth to our 3rd (and final) child. I have the three seats set up in the back of the JT, and our other vehicle is a Mazda CX-5 that's just about paid off with 50k miles. We are not convinced that a three row vehicle is a must, so does that make us crazy? We feel between the bed of the truck and the roof rack on the CX-5, we could haul our kids and stuff without a problem. Understand it'll be a little tight, but outside of vacation, our trips are generally less than two hours at the furthest.

My wife doesn't really want to drive a bigger vehicle, but if we did get a 3rd row, it's narrowed down town Acura MDX or Mazda CX-9 and we'd want Captain's chairs in either.

So just wondering if anyone out there is toting three kids without a 3rd row and find it at least tolerable? We'd like to at least get the JT paid off (2 1/2 years) or the Mazda closer to 100k miles before trade. Appreciate the replies in advance!
84794EF5-5EB3-4756-B7AA-634C8E8F9E19.jpeg

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
My boys happily sit like this because they get to ride in a cool vehicle. summer with no doors or top is also much nicer.

Looks good!

mrgray

First Name
Nyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2020
I don't use my gladiator when we are traveling. Number one because we are a big family. Now that the kids are bigger we usually use a van when we are traveling but if you still was t a spacious space and comfy seating I recommend getting honda pilot or any 3 rows with an isle on the center. Our issues with 3 rows without isle is it's exhausting to fold the seat to access to 3rd row.

Sponsored

BSD

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
JT or a three-row vehicle? I think Sheikh Hamad bin Hamdan Al Nahyan already solved this for us:

Seriously though, we have our JT a 2015 Odyssey:
* Three kids in car seats fit either car. I did have to remove the arm rest from the JT's back doors to get them to shut
* Car seats make it difficult to access the Gladiator's under/behind seat storage
* (with the 2nd row removed) the Odyssey offers a full 8' of cargo area; JT only has 5'.
* Odyssey easily gets 26MPG, where the JT fights for 18MPG. Over 300 miles that's still less than $20, so I never cared.
* Sliding doors are cool, until they don't work. They're mechanically assisted and nearly-impossible to operate if there is a power loss.
* "Leather" on a Honda/Acura means that the middle of the front (and sometimes second row) seats is leather. Everything else in the car is vinyl(-ized).

Ezekielg1

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler 2 DR Sport (retired), 2020 Gladiator Sport
Honestly I only have two kiddos 8 & 2... we could survive with 2 rows but after we got out 3rd row (Lexus GX460) I don’t know if we were ever living, the ability to shop/ spend the day out in town has by far improved. If grandmas/grandpas want to come with us they actually can. Long trips seem shorter. Albeit it is a luxury a vehicle with a heftier price tag the ride quality is far superior to the Chevy Equinox V6 LTZ were driving. We test drove Acadias/traverses, explorers Highlanders 4 runners mdxs a palisade qx60s the Lexus was the best size/feel drivability comfort and we know we could put a lift and turn it into a more adventure friendly family hauler. Just my 2 cents

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
We have 3 kids, we are keeping our JKU for the oldest to drive... theyve grown up from boosters to in now in that jeep (youngest is only 8). They love the jeep, we had a minivan previous! Don't miss it at all.
Jeeps been tight at times but the trade off of fun/ making routine trips an adventure have been well worth it.

we do pull a trailer when we make longer summer trips to family (pre covid)

OP
OP
JTBurns

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
We have 3 kids, we are keeping our JKU for the oldest to drive... theyve grown up from boosters to in now in that jeep (youngest is only 8). They love the jeep, we had a minivan previous! Don't miss it at all.
Jeeps been tight at times but the trade off of fun/ making routine trips an adventure have been well worth it.

we do pull a trailer when we make longer summer trips to family (pre covid)
Nice! Yea we're getting along well with the 3 for the past two months anyway.

I feel like I can say you can get along without a 3 row for at least a while. Gonna have to see how it goes, because honestly when go anywhere as a family, I still only want to drive the Gladiator, so finding something I want to drive and be okay leaving the Jeep in the garage is going to be hard!

Gonna have to keep posted for when I break and get a 3 row, but good for now!

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
I have 3 boys (4yo, 3yo, 10month old) and manage, I had a 2019 raptor which was awesome and easily fit everyone but longed for a jeep in the spring so bought another wrangler and got Diono narrow car seats to just fit....then when they discounted the sport s recently in the Gladiator I consolidated (Traded JLU and raptor in).....totally worth it...fits all of us and is so much fun especially lifted with 35s.

if I did need more space I would strongly consider a power wagon with front bench as they are a bargain for what you get, just a little big for a daily driver
Sponsored