First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Even though I don't get to drive it as much as I want to thanks to all the shutdowns limiting anything fun to drive to... I still get excited looking at it and thinking how awesome it looks. It's funny, because at first I really thought it was an abomination and never ever thought about getting one but now that I have one, I actually love the design and how it drives. Maybe it's the color but I saw a lot of black ones and it didn't work for me.

In any event, I swore to not do much to it because it's not going to be a hardcore off-road rig which is why I got the Sport S instead of the Rubicon or Mojave or even the Overland because I don't need all that stuff and I prefer the comfort of the 17" street tires with a cloth interior along with power windows and doors. That's all I need in a Jeep/truck. It's not going to be my luxury family car or sports car. I know what I want it for and got what I needed and nothing more.

But yeah, the car didn't stay stock for long... nerf bars, tint, wheel upgrade, along with a whole slew of interior pieces like pouches and other stuff... now I see a locking safe that fits inside the center console too and I'm thinking about a locking tonneau and grab handles and the Bestop soft top and so on and so on.

They really ought to have an entry in the DSM for us Jeepers.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
We've put on over 10k miles since last August (2020) driving in woods or trips. Lucky for us Jeepers, the fun is in the drive and the vehicle, so get out and explore.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
You know what Jeep stands for Just empty every pocket
Anything can become all-consuming that it takes up your time and money.

OP
OP
SuburbanGP88

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Forgot to add hood lock and locking gas cap. These little things that you don't think of end up taking all your money too. It can really add up.

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Forgot to add hood lock and locking gas cap. These little things that you don't think of end up taking all your money too. It can really add up.
It can indeed. But your Gladiator came stock fully prepared to take on some great off-road opportunities there in San Diego County. Carry a few bits of gear for recovery and routing (along with knowledge on how to use), travel with a buddy, and get out there and enjoy the new rig. I can't recommend Anza-Borrego Desert State Park highly enough. Carrizo Mountain, south of the park, is another challenging location (though it closes for half the year during big horn sheep mating season). Los Coyotes Indian Reservation lets you reach the San Diego Country high point. If you'd like to see some of that, just ask and I'll point you toward some videos on my YT channel.

OP
OP
SuburbanGP88

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Please do. I heard great things about Anza.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Congrats and welcome! Lots of trails here in SoCal. Anywhere from Ocatillo to Big Bear. Truck Trail down by the border. Fonts Point east of Borrego Springs is an easy sandy trail that take you to an overlook of the whole desert. Mini Grand Canyon.

OP
OP
SuburbanGP88

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. I rode out to Borrego on the Harley. Never knew about the trail.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Please do. I heard great things about Anza.
Thanks. I rode out to Borrego on the Harley. Never knew about the trail.
Font's Point is a relatively easy drive through a sandy wash. Cars can make it, but are at risk of getting stuck if they wander into deeper areas of the sand. Four wheel drive vehicles have been known to get stuck too, so be wary of where you drive. But the park literally has hundreds of miles of dirt--some quite interesting and a few somewhat challenging. Here is a video teaser from a trip I made out to the park that will give you ideas about some of the routes ...

This is a playlist from an earlier trip along much of the same route (Note to myself: I need to make a teaser for it) ...

Finally, if you were to wander out to the Borrego Art Institute in Borrego Springs next week, you'd see several of my photos hanging in their current photography contest. Here's one from Font's Point. Those badlands in the past used to fill what's now a big hole further up the Colorado River. Today we call that hole The Grand Canyon. Really!

Jeep Gladiator 3 weeks of ownership and it's just growing on me everyday more and more NM-CA Trip, Nov-Dec 15, 5_6929, ABDSP, Font's Pt Sunset Looking East

Sponsored

OP
OP
SuburbanGP88

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oh my... hope to keep my Overlanding tendencies in check... last thing I need is to blow money i can't afford in my retirement.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Oh my... hope to keep my Overlanding tendencies in check... last thing I need is to blow money i can't afford in my retirement.
There are certainly plenty of folks and businesses who are quite wiling to help you spend a lot of money on what's expensive and often unnecessary gear. You can spend a thousand or two dollars on a roof tope tent--or get a quality ground tent for a couple hundred. A fridge is really a game changer accessory--or you can use a Coleman ice chest and plan your route near known towns for ice replenishing. You can buy a trailer and pay the expense of hauling it (in both time and gas), or just plan your trips such that everything fits in your rig.

My advice to folks is it's better to spend money on the experience than on the gear. Don't go overboard on "stuff". If you're still working, don't work overtime to earn extra money to spend on the rig. Instead, take a closer weekend trip. Certainly there in San Diego you have plenty of opportunity (I grew up in Chula Vista, and my folks still live there). And an overlanding vacation is going to be much cheaper than one where you fly, pay for hotels and meals out, etc.
Sponsored