Sponsored

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
Driving off-trail is not "minimal damage", it causes severe erosion and progressively more damage as more and more people follow those tracks. There are still visible tracks in the desert dating back to the 1940s from training maneuvers done by the US Army, hell, you can still see wagon tracks dating back to the 1800s.

Saying "I should be allowed to drive off-trail because it's not as bad as paving everything" is both absurd and a disingenuous argument. There are places set aside for that type of driving, go there if you want to roam wherever you want. If you want to wheel on managed public lands you have to stay on the trail. Period. "Public land" doesn't mean it's yours to do with as you please, those lands are managed for the benefit of everyone - that means hikers, cyclists, resource extraction, conservation, and simply as preserved wilderness areas that offer shelter for ongoing biodiversity.

The few people who drive off trail and try to justify that through whatever mental gymnastics they need are the problem - they are the ones who get entire areas closed, they are why we can't have nice things.

I've said it once and I will say it again: Stay on the trail or stay home. If you can't keep your tires on the trail you are not welcome in Moab.
Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
are these 317 miles closed to Jeeps and trucks etc or just atv's and SxS's?
Anything with an engine. The paddlers who got this pushed through had a "social values conflict" with people who were motorized. They do not want even the potential to see or hear a motorized vehicle.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Anything with an engine. The paddlers who got this pushed through had a "social values conflict" with people who were motorized. They do not want even the potential to see or hear a motorized vehicle.
While the closure was presented under greenness of paddlers not wanting to hear motors. There was a much wider and deeper reach going on by SUWA and other greenies. SUWA and it's compatriots want it all closed.
I'll leave it at that.

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
While the closure was presented under greenness of paddlers not wanting to hear motors. There was a much wider and deeper reach going on by SUWA and other greenies. SUWA and it's compatriots want it all closed.
I'll leave it at that.
Absolutely, and everyone should realize it. In their documents they said they feel motorized use is morally inferior. Groups like this in all states are actively working to shut it down everywhere. People need to wake up and get active if they want to be able to use their offroad toys anywhere. Like the guy said in that video posted the offroad community expends the most cash into the hobby and the outdoors by vast margins yet has the least representation. That needs to change.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
The Moab area is crazy fragile for sure and damage remains visible for years.
So I say, if they are going to restrict it. restrict to hikers and bicycles too so it can recover faster.
>> SHARED SACRIFICE <<

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The Moab area is crazy fragile for sure and damage remains visible for years.
So I say, if they are going to restrict it. restrict to hikers and bicycles too so it can recover faster.
>> SHARED SACRIFICE <<
I think that is exactly SUWA's goal. get it down to extreme minimal foot traffic where nobody is showing up then close it 100%.

"Alternative A would likely provide more economic value from grazing through more jobs, labor income, and economic output than Alternatives B, C, and D, due to the larger number of actual AUMs. Alternative B would likely provide more economic value from grazing than Alternatives C and D, and Alternative C would likely provide more economic value from grazing than Alternative D. Alternatives A, B, and C would likely each provide the same amount of economic value from recreation through jobs, income, and economic output. Alternative D could provide less economic value from recreation than Alternatives A, B, and C, if the BLM management decisions lead to a reduction in visitors due to the increase in acres closed to OHV travel, compared with Alternative A, and the potential for more limited access to products and resources. However, there could be an increase in visitors who are looking to recreate in more remote areas."

They basically state A = money but people we dont like, D= far less money, but the people that do show up are the people we like.

Tyandpi

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Here's an excellent video by Keeptrailsopen that details what went into BLM's decision regarding the trail closures near Moab.

Part of the issue appears to be river recreation users don't want the possibility of seeing a 4x4 from their view from the water when they pass the trails.

I just watched the entire video. It was a long watch, but was very informative.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I just watched the entire video. It was a long watch, but was very informative.
It's a good watch if you have the time.

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Ummmm. Secretary of the Interior Haaland is an appointee of the current Administration and does indeed carry out policies of this administration for such agencies as BLM, NPS, Dept of Forestry to name a few. The current administration promised to “protect” 30% additional acreage of public land and “ resurrect “ the Clinton Era RACR as a campaign promise and is delivering on them.
This is true, unfortunately.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are there that many people driving $100,000 trucks with $100,000 toy haulers that contain $80,000 worth of SxS that are destroying rocks and sand?

I remember cross-country skiers yelling at snowmobiles and trying to get sleds banned from the trail system. Nevermind that the CC skiers are on the ORV trail system instead of the CC-only trails.

Sure, there are a-holes out on the trails that are obnoxious, but none of them are the ones that are going to destroy a million-year-old natural bridge.
Unfortunately, some of those people in SXSs are really messing it up for the rest of us.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'll leave it at that.
Yup…

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Currently, those in charge in Moab, and other areas, have the ear of people that are closure minded, and some bad apples in SXSs, and I am sure some 4x4s too, are making it very easy for them. I’ve been a member of groups fighting this since 2008, but it’s been going on longer than that.
Sponsored