4 Wheel High rear locker... advantage?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Having a manual, I know not of what you speak. Crawling around forever in low range and in low gears is bad for heat overall, locking the front does no good for the PS pump and the combo kills pumps quick. You would think with such robust everything else they would have looked at that issue as well. In ol’cowboys theme I’ve build diffs for track cars with alternators run off the cv shafts and their own pump and cooler stuck to the cover just to keep things happy.

The key to all of this is not breaking stuff and respecting the limits and limitations presented both by your rig and the trail, sometimes you just can’t do it without running a real risk of damage/failure that’s going to shut the day down.
Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Came across this thread. Someone above asked for a simple explanation about the different types of lockers. I think this video was very helpful:

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
I have the factory LSD and love it, though there is even the Brake Lock Diff which is another type of locker... so I have double the options. I've considered (and probably will for the JT as well) putting in a locker up front... but not any time soon. Renegades description is how I expect it too, but I've never been in a position where the LSD didn't work for me.
BLD is just traction control. If you snap a shaft it won’t work.

an lsd isn’t a locker. A locker can divert 100% of torque to the wheel with the most traction while an lsd can only bias as much as the clutch pack can handle.

lockers maximize axle grip and help prevent wheel slip. An e locker is better in the winter. You get an open diff comfort but can engage it when you need max traction. An lsd is typically always on and will act like a locked diff on ice since the torque transfer is so low (if it slips on ice and snow then it’s virtually useless off road).
Sponsored