Sponsored

48 Hours with a Diesel JL

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So my JT is having it's steering TSB done. The dealership couldn't get to it in time yesterday so they loaned me a 2021 Diesel JL. The did the service but when test driving it got a Service Throttle Body message so they're replacing that, it should come in tomorrow and be replaced under warranty (I'm just over 30,500 so I'm glad they caught it, or if they broke it somehow during the steering upgrade).

It had more features than my JT, park/driving assist and LED headlights. But other than that, meh.

I SWEAR the thing is at least 1" less space than the JT. I feel more cramped on the sides and the seat has to go all the way back, as opposed to my JT which still had a couple inches between the baby seat/carrier and the driver seat.

The emergency parking break hardly has any movement at all. It is a very slight upward pull before maxing out.

I'm not impressed with the engine. It's ok. Love the 25mpgs but honestly my JT gets 15mpg because it's got a steel bumper, winch, and heavy ass Falken MT 35" tires. When it was stock I regularly got 20-22mpgs. I can't tell that it has more "get up and go" than my 3.6L. Handling seems to be worse, I can feel the heavier weight up front and the steering wheel is more slugish to turn initially than my JT. And yes, I understand this is a loaner vehicle with under 500mi on it so things need to be broken in, the JT when it was new is still fresh in my mind (1 year ago - my first new vehicle in 15 years). It's also more noisy. Hard pass on this engine in a JL or JT.

I'm starting the 2nd day now, so I'll update my "48 hours" when I return it.
Sponsored

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I ended up buying a eco-d after multiple test drives in the 3.6. Funny thing is I mostly agree with you even though I bought the diesel.

One of my first thoughts while test driving was that the 3.6 felt lighter on it's feet than the diesel. I know that its lighter in weight but it actually FEELS lighter while driving around. And yeah, I don't know what it is, maybe the seat position... Don't know, but I've been thinking the same thing regarding the interior space.

The diesel, even with the heavier sensation just had more grunt and felt more planted. And well, since I'm towing a small RV in the mountains I had to go with the diesel. Besides that the resale on diesels are out of the roof vs gassers, much less that it's placed inside the highest resale truck, it's a win-win IMHO.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I ended up buying a eco-d after multiple test drives in the 3.6. Funny thing is I mostly agree with you even though I bought the diesel.

One of my first thoughts while test driving was that the 3.6 felt lighter on it's feet than the diesel. I know that its lighter in weight but it actually FEELS lighter while driving around. And yeah, I don't know what it is, maybe the seat position... Don't know, but I've been thinking the same thing regarding the interior space.

The diesel, even with the heavier sensation just had more grunt and felt more planted. And well, since I'm towing a small RV in the mountains I had to go with the diesel. Besides that the resale on diesels are out of the roof vs gassers, much less that it's placed inside the highest resale truck, it's a win-win IMHO.
I am glad you like yours. I can see the appeal, just not for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if it was in a JT and not the loaner JL.

One thing I can't get over is the upkeep. Oil changes, DEF, Fuel Filters, draining out water, just more squeeze than the juice is worth to me.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
The diesel really shines when loaded.. no comparison.. put a heavy bumper and other parts on it and then you will appreciate it.. it’s made for the grunt work!!

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
I went through the same analysis before I bought my JT. Bottom Line for me is I'll tow infrequently, most daily driving is just shy of 30 miles one way and the costs associated with the diesel just don't justify it with the 3.6 Pentstar available. My 2 cents
I am glad you like yours. I can see the appeal, just not for me. Maybe I'd feel differently if it was in a JT and not the loaner JL.

One thing I can't get over is the upkeep. Oil changes, DEF, Fuel Filters, draining out water, just more squeeze than the juice is worth to me.
Sponsored