Sponsored

A completely lost newbie here - Please help with wheels / tires replacement choice!

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! This forum seems great. Picking up my JT in about two weeks (so they say) here in Massachusetts. Sting grey,
Non max tow package (regular tow package) Sport S with a few bells and whistles. I really dislike the wheel/tire combo on it. Looks small and blah. Need to change ASAP.

Where do I start????!!!!!

There’s so much info out there it’s almost overwhelming. I don’t think I want a lift. I won’t be doing any heavy off-roading so I’m not sure it’s worth the money for me. You agree?

I just want to fit some nice black rims and larger aggressive looking tires on it. What’s the biggest tire I can get on there safely? 33? And I assume the rim will be 17 inch rim.

Where’s a good place to buy a tire/rim package? I just want to make sure I buy sizes that will fit together. People seem to like this tire - Falken Rubitrek AT 285/70/R17 3 peak. What’s a good tire to put on that won’t break the bank? And rim?

Any info you can give me on this whole process to steer me in the right direction would be so appreciated. Thanks!!! And I assume id have to have the dealer put them to avoid warranty issues.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Maybe Look for Rubicon "take off" rims and tires or just tires on this forum. You may be able to get them cheap. The tires will fit on your stock rims. The Falken M/Ts (mud terrains) that came on my Rubicon are fantastic on road and off-road and they are very aggressive looking.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I love my rubi take off rims on my sport s. If you cant find take offs a bunch of forum member have been getting kenda kevlar tires. Lots of positive reviews and they’re inexpensive. But there are a ton of good inexpensive tire options out there.

as for lift. I preferred the look of a small lift at first. I used a combo of the alloy usa 1.5in spacers on the front and the 3/4in daystar spacers on the rear. Made it level and drove like stock. I have that kit for sale in the marketplace, but if you’re new to it you can get both sets of spacers for around $150 that come with the instructions. I really think the truck looks its best with a small lift versus just leaving it in stock.

Welcome to it!!! my best advice is to do tons of research before you make a final decision on anything with your truck. With enough time you can find pictures of just about any upgrade you want so you know what to expect.

Deleted member 24880

My JT is exactly what you need and are looking for. I went with a TerrFlex 1.5” leveling kit. skip the 33s and go to 35s. I ran the 35s for a few months with stock suspension and no rub at all. You will not regret it. I was in the same conundrum you are in and I am so happy I went with 35s. As for wheel and tires there are hundreds of them, literally. Mine are Black Rhino Abrams 20x9.5 with -18 offset with Nitto RG 35x12.5x20. They do stick out a tad farther than I wanted but still really dig the look. 17s vs. 20s is a debate that will never die. If your not a hardcore off roader then buy whatever size wheels you want, Ignore the naysayer. LOL.

bluedevil1

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 F250 Diesel
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Those Rubitreks are good tires. I personally went with the AT3/W. My first set of Falkens and they are wearing well. I am really big into service, so I went through Discount Tires, as they will match online prices and their service is outstanding. I go in and check air pressure (regardless of the TPMS) on the Gladi and take my F-250 and trailer through before camping trips. I ordered tires and wheels prior to lock down, and they were johnny on the spot to get me in and get them on after only 3 days. I have had similar experiences with our local Les Schwab (tire place our here in the West). I also would go online and check some of the sites that will let you view wheels on your Jeep digitally. That will help especially when you're looking at the effects of different backspacing and wheel widths.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Thanks for the replies so far! I like this wheel. No clue what width tires goes though. I don’t want the tires to stick out past the fenders though. I’m completely lost with all this stuff. Seems like 35’s is the consensus over 33’s? Then I’ll need to research the difference between a leveling kit and lift. I don’t need monster tires. Just want black rims and a more aggressive tire/look.
Jeep Gladiator A completely lost newbie here - Please help with wheels / tires replacement choice! 9B3AB970-9D9F-4C17-8266-4DE7C629427E

Deleted member 24880

The more negative the offset the farther the wheel will stick out past the fender. The more positive the more they are sucked in towards the chassis. Don’t quote me but I think I read OEM is around +40 offset Look around a 0 offset to keep them at the fenders. I’m sure other can explain this better than I just did.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies so far! I like this wheel. No clue what width tires goes though. I don’t want the tires to stick out past the fenders though. I’m completely lost with all this stuff. Seems like 35’s is the consensus over 33’s? Then I’ll need to research the difference between a leveling kit and lift. I don’t need monster tires. Just want black rims and a more aggressive tire/look.
9B3AB970-9D9F-4C17-8266-4DE7C629427E.png
a lot of members are obsessed with 35’s...ive never been impressed. I had a set and thought they looked silly and didnt care for the power loss...may have just been my tire choice but i was getting 16mpg and basically lost 8th gear while cruising at highway speed on flat terrain. Also if you read through the forums it seems to be a trend with those running 35’s that they start to look at re gearing...soooooo IMO not worh it.

33’s will look awesome and wont stick out on stock rims.

I went with a 285/75/17 ATs on stock rims which measure 33.8in. I am BEYOND pleased with them. I get 20-21 highway and 19-20 around town, have experienced no power loss, and have no road noise, or excessive over steering.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/yokohama-geolandar-a-t-g015

I do suggest discount tire, they were amazing to deal with!

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
a lot of members are obsessed with 35’s...ive never been impressed. I had a set and thought they looked silly and didnt care for the power loss...may have just been my tire choice but i was getting 16mpg and basically lost 8th gear while cruising at highway speed on flat terrain. Also if you read through the forums it seems to be a trend with those running 35’s that they start to look at re gearing...soooooo IMO not worh it.

33’s will look awesome and wont stick out on stock rims.

I went with a 285/75/17 ATs on stock rims which measure 33.8in. I am BEYOND pleased with them. I get 20-21 highway and 19-20 around town, have experienced no power loss, and have no road noise, or excessive over steering.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/yokohama-geolandar-a-t-g015

I do suggest discount tire, they were amazing to deal with!
Thanks!!! I’m leaning 33’s for sure.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!!! I’m leaning 33’s for sure.
Sorry to bombard ya. You can message with discount tire directly here on the forum and the rep will get you all set up. Make sure to look around the web once you find your tire. Discount tire will beat any price!

Sponsored

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
So by what I am reading, if all I want to do is level the truck with least amount of lift possible, I would leave the rear suspension alone, and put a Âľ" lift in front??????
Like Jeep24MA, I want to put a bigger non rubbing tire with as little suspension mods as possible, as my off-roading is mainly relegated to the Beach!!!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
So by what I am reading, if all I want to do is level the truck with least amount of lift possible, I would leave the rear suspension alone, and put a Âľ" lift in front??????
Like Jeep24MA, I want to put a bigger non rubbing tire with as little suspension mods as possible, as my off-roading is mainly relegated to the Beach!!!
I didn’t do measurements but by sight the 1.5in spacers kit on front springs only made it perfectly level. I added the 3/4in rear spacers because it didnt change the actual appearance, but added a little rake so my bed didnt sag with weight in it. Rake also helps a bit with mpg (as far asI know)

ultimately I went with the 2in iron rock spacer lift and am very pleased. Height and feel are perfect...and i too am pretty much all highway and beach.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
My truck with 285/70/17 on stock rubicon take off rims. It has the 1.5in front spacers and the 3/4in rear spacers.

74882139-20CA-411D-B691-9CB05B64438F.jpeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The more negative the offset the farther the wheel will stick out past the fender. The more positive the more they are sucked in towards the chassis. Don’t quote me but I think I read OEM is around +40 offset Look around a 0 offset to keep them at the fenders. I’m sure other can explain this better than I just did.
That's dependent on the both the backspacing and the wheel width as well. It's all one big algorithmic aspect ratio.
Sponsored