Adding ONLY Rubi shocks to max tow

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
No problem at all. Just looking to mod to improve the ride and actual look of the shocks. At the price you can get them as take offs (40 bucks a shock) it’s a fairly simple easy and cheap mod.

I will also probably eventually get the fox steering stabilizer and it’ll all match! My steering I would say is pretty good, the stabilizer might make it more “tight” on the highway and stable over bumps and dips.

I feel the max tow ride can be harsh at times and fox is saying this could improve it.
I have a stock JT Rubicon and I'll tell first hand that the Fox shocks are firm. They do not ride smooth at all. I feel every bump on the road. I also run my tires at 32psi so it is definitely not my tires. These shocks are not smoother than Overland or Sport shocks on the road. They were purposely tuned for trails/offroad.

If you are thinking the takeoffs Rubicon Fox shocks you purchased will improve ride comfort on the road you will be sorely mistaken.

Placebo is a real thing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I have a stock JT Rubicon and I'll tell first hand that the Fox shocks are firm. They do not ride smooth at all. I feel every bump on the road. I also run my tires at 32psi so it is definitely not my tires. These shocks are not smoother than Overland or Sport shocks on the road. They were purposely tuned for trails/offroad.

If you are thinking the takeoffs Rubicon Fox shocks you purchased will improve ride comfort on the road you will be sorely mistaken.

Placebo is a real thing.

The placebo comment was funny, I laughed exactly 6.83 seconds on that one.

Maybe you should direct your above comment o Fox and get them to correct their website about the 2.0 shocks:
“Upgrading to a more predictable shock in your Jeep Gladiator JT can help maintain control while offroad and comfort on road. With the mono-tube Fox Racing Shox Front 2.0 Performance Series IFP Shock you will have a smoother drive in your Jeep”.

“These shocks are manufactured to ensure a quicker response, increased safety, better tire grip, and more effective steering control”.

“Minimize Bounce: Replace your OE shocks for a smooth ride on the trails or bumpy roads”.

Since my last post, I’ve driven highway over 80 on crappy interstates, through the city on pot home ridden streets, and yes, these shocks are an improvement, over the cheap OEM stocks, and yes my gladiator does ride better on the the highway (especially going over bumps.

The max tow suspension was made to be stiff, so the improved shocks does help with the more progress springs.

But hey maybe it’s my “perception” and maybe Fox is betting their nice looking shocks will have a placebo effect on people.

But hey, take it from the “reasons rubicon guy” who hasn’t tried it, or the guy who actually has a max tow and has tried it ;) you night have the opportunity for placebo effect too, because you know, it’s forrealllll.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would "believe" that of all levels, the Overland would have the smoothest, most "bump-free" ride of them all. It's the Jeep "luxury level". They figure you buy it to have a daily driver small truck, not a roughing it in the woods hauling your stuff then taking off into the rocks truck.

Max tow is for towing, payload and control with a load. It will be more stiff than Overland for sure.

I go back to the basics, though, that these are TRUCKS. They are not Grand Cherokee with IFS and tuned for a ride. They are trucks, meant to haul, meant for rough, not ride (overland the exception, you hardly think of it as a truck when on the crappy Iowa roads around us)

So I would ask Daniel since he has been there, done that - would Overland shocks not have the smoothest, smooth as a baby's butt, ride of them all?

Frankly, my wife and I both test drove a max tow sport, and then got the Overland, and she has been impressed with the ride - this and the max tow we test drove, she had nothing negative to say (other than her difficulty getting in and out due to handicap)
We both thought the ride was quite good, impressive in fact.

I know what you are saying about frankly any OEM shock - they are designed and bought for mass production on production vehicles as a compromise to sell the vehicle and have a shock on it. The Rubicon is an exception - you pay a premium for a shock designed/engineered differently. In my days in the field as a tech, we knew that original shocks simply were a compromise for ride and control and never lasted as long as replacements you actually paid more for.

Just my thinking on 'em and wondering as I am considering the Rubicon Fox shocks on my Overland for better control towing my car hauler.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would "believe" that of all levels, the Overland would have the smoothest, most "bump-free" ride of them all. It's the Jeep "luxury level". They figure you buy it to have a daily driver small truck, not a roughing it in the woods hauling your stuff then taking off into the rocks truck.

Max tow is for towing, payload and control with a load. It will be more stiff than Overland for sure.

I go back to the basics, though, that these are TRUCKS. They are not Grand Cherokee with IFS and tuned for a ride. They are trucks, meant to haul, meant for rough, not ride (overland the exception, you hardly think of it as a truck when on the crappy Iowa roads around us)

So I would ask Daniel since he has been there, done that - would Overland shocks not have the smoothest, smooth as a baby's butt, ride of them all?

Frankly, my wife and I both test drove a max tow sport, and then got the Overland, and she has been impressed with the ride - this and the max tow we test drove, she had nothing negative to say (other than her difficulty getting in and out due to handicap)
We both thought the ride was quite good, impressive in fact.

I know what you are saying about frankly any OEM shock - they are designed and bought for mass production on production vehicles as a compromise to sell the vehicle and have a shock on it. The Rubicon is an exception - you pay a premium for a shock designed/engineered differently. In my days in the field as a tech, we knew that original shocks simply were a compromise for ride and control and never lasted as long as replacements you actually paid more for.

Just my thinking on 'em and wondering as I am considering the Rubicon Fox shocks on my Overland for better control towing my car hauler.

So I just got home from my daily morning drive taking my son to school. There is about five or six places on that stretch of road where there is either potholes, big dip’s, tough turns or horrible Patches. These areas don’t jolt me like they did before.

My wife would always complain because she feels every bump being pregnant. I would say it’s fair to say that she is more sensitive to the road than me right now. She also agrees ride is clearly better.

Agreed, it is a truck. It’s not going to ride like a Lexus. But I would def buy the take offs again. Would I pay like 600 for a new set.... maybe?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got home from my daily morning drive taking my son to school. There is about five or six places on that stretch of road where there is either potholes, big dip’s, tough turns or horrible Patches. These areas don’t jolt me like they did before.

My wife would always complain because she feels every bump being pregnant. I would say it’s fair to say that she is more sensitive to the road than me right now. She also agrees ride is clearly better.

Agreed, it is a truck. It’s not going to ride like a Lexus. But I would def buy the take offs again. Would I pay like 600 for a new set.... maybe?
I have the Overland but am getting Rubicon take-offs as I want top shocks for towing my car hauler. I have nothing to compare to since no one really modifies the Overland level but am hoping I don't lose ride quality but do keep or improve the ability to tow and be stable and safe.
The thing rides great, hope to not give that up, but shocks do help control traction on iffy bumpy roads..........
It's almost impossible to find Overland being modified with different shocks or springs or this or that so there are no references for comparison.

Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
But hey, take it from the “reasons rubicon guy” who hasn’t tried it, or the guy who actually has a max tow and has tried it ;) you night have the opportunity for placebo effect too, because you know, it’s forrealllll.
Your assumptions that I havent driven a Gladiator with Max Tow before I made my comparison comment shows your ignorance. Listen kid, if you are happy with your purchase then that is all that matters.

Quoting Jeeps marketing as your reference for better ride quality... well, I guess you win. I will start believing everything I read from the internet I guess and disregard what I felt after testing both trims in the real world.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your assumptions that I havent driven a Gladiator with Max Tow before I made my comparison comment shows your ignorance. Listen kid, if you are happy with your purchase then that is all that matters.

Quoting Jeeps marketing as your reference for better ride quality... well, I guess you win. I will start believing everything I read from the internet I guess and disregard what I felt after testing both trims in the real world.
Lol, your post made me laugh 4.10 seconds this time. It’s official, we have a big guy in the room.

The quotes are from Fox, not Jeep. But who knows, I guess someone should bring up a suit against them for false advertising? Maybe you could look into that for the Jeep community and those who bought rubicons.

My ignorance is most likely due to me being constantly on the internet and forums, but it also may be the fact that I’m only 17. You nailed that one on the head Mr. Reasons!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, your post made me laugh 4.10 seconds this time. It’s official, we have a big guy in the room.

The quotes are from Fox, not Jeep. But who knows, I guess someone should bring up a suit against them for false advertising? Maybe you could look into that for the Jeep community and those who bought rubicons.

My ignorance is most likely due to me being constantly on the internet and forums, but it also may be the fact that I’m only 17. You nailed that one on the head Mr. Reasons!
May I ask - is your "Laugh-o-meter" home made or did you get it from Amazon? Been wondering how you time that down to the hundredth of a second.
Hey, Chekov was only 17 when he was at the helm of the Enterprise.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May I ask - is your "Laugh-o-meter" home made or did you get it from Amazon? Been wondering how you time that down to the hundredth of a second.
Hey, Chekov was only 17 when he was at the helm of the Enterprise.
I used my iPhone timer and the last length just happened to be the same as my gear ratio. I must just be in real sync with my Jeep or something?
Sponsored