Aftermarket LED Fogs on OEM Incandescent Package

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT-R
Odd problem, and I'm not an electrical guy in any way/shape/form so this has me frustrated... I built a new front bumper a while back and incorporated some cheap little amber LED lights that aim out and down in the corners. To power them I am using the factory fog light circuit, but my factory lights are all incandescent to the best of my knowledge. Would that for some reason be causing these LED ambers to shut off after a few minutes of use? They work just fine for a few miles, but just about any time I drive with them on for more than about 10-15 minutes, they will shut off even though the dash is still indicating the fog lights are on.

I have a Tazer and I see there is an option to enable LED fog lights, would this be the path I need to go down here to keep them working?
Sponsored

wildtaco

First Name
Karol
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
23’ Diesel Rubicon Sarge Green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, change to LED fogs using the Tazer and you should be good.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Tazr and done!

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT-R
Excellent, thanks for the quick feedback. I'll give it a shot!

kb5zcr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I wonder what that setting actually does.
Seems 12v should be 12v.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT-R

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I wonder what that setting actually does.
Seems 12v should be 12v.
It's not the voltage, it's the amperage draw. The CANbus is looking for a specific amp draw from incandescent bulbs and with the LED's in there it's a different amperage.
So when it doesn't "see" what it's supposed to, it shuts it down to prevent damage.

kb5zcr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
It's not the voltage, it's the amperage draw. The CANbus is looking for a specific amp draw from incandescent bulbs and with the LED's in there it's a different amperage.
So when it doesn't "see" what it's supposed to, it shuts it down to prevent damage.
Thanks for that knowledge.
I'm guess if it was drawing MORE amperage that would be cause for concern, but less shouldnt hurt anything.
Of course, I'm just an old school guy that doesn't understand or comprehend why these new vehicles have to computerize everything, and it does seem like everything, in these new fangled computerized cars these days.
I get trying to monitor the important stuff, but running everything via canbus just seems to complicate more than is needed :)

I've got a new glad on order so Ill just have to deal with it, but I seriously consider buying an older truck that I can actually understand most of what's going on and can fix myself.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Even an under amp draw will shut it down. There is a narrow parameter of acceptable amps in a specific amount of time and then "zip" shut down.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a set of LED replacements burn out company sent a replacement set they burned out too. Amber ones.
Sponsored