First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubicon, '14 Viper GTS, '14 WRX, '14 S7
Occupation
patent attorney
The weather here in OH has gotten quite cold. I've got the stock wheels and tires on a '21 Rubicon and when the car is outside for a couple of hours in 20 degree or less weather, the tires start losing pressure at an alarming rate... Anyone else experience this? I've never had a car that lost tire pressure so fast in cold weather.
Sponsored

Se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Yeah, they can vary quite a bit. You're probably used to another size tire where there isn't as much air in them. These are larger, thus more air, thus larger fluctuations. Now, if you're losing air and continue to lose it, then there is a puncture, obviously.

5-7 psi is not out of the norm, depending on temps. More is possible with extreme weather.

Last edited:

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
I lost almost 8 psi overnight on my stock ‘21 Willys BFG’s here in ND the first time temps DROPPED (to like -15 for the high around Christmas)
.. just aired them up at lunch time at gas station across the street to make sure psi wasn’t effected by driving too far.

They have held their “cold” psi no problem since then. It’s an annual occurrence, worse with aluminum rims in my experience.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
I am just south of you in Columbus and this morning it was -2°. The pressure in my BFG's (37's) fluctuates about 1-2 psi, but I also filled mine when it was in the high 20's a few weeks ago.

In the spring when it warms up I hope they don't add 5-7 more!

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
If airing up and down isn’t something you do during the cold winter months or you have a set of winters you swap when it’s time and you just want to keep a steady PSI, fill with nitrogen.

Lots on line that discusses this. There’s also a cost factor too.

Sponsored

Se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I am just south of you in Columbus and this morning it was -2°. The pressure in my BFG's (37's) fluctuates about 1-2 psi, but I also filled mine when it was in the high 20's a few weeks ago.

In the spring when it warms up I hope they don't add 5-7 more!
Yes, good point. Adjusting the psi when it's already cold out, helps with lower fluctuation rates. We can't do that so easily here is the South (TN). It literally could be 15 degrees on Monday and 68 by Wednesday...and back to 20 by Friday...all winter long.

Nitrogen is the best answer for us, but I don't mind heading out to the garage and making adjustments.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I’m up in ND just like @Dakota Kid . My 37’s were filled up to 32 psi when I got to work up here and they dropped all the way down to 22 psi when I left
 oh and when I left
 yes it was -33°

9BE0FC3B-0463-4FE5-BC28-CDF6DFC3889A.png

Se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Holy sh!t...that's (f)Epping cold, lol.

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Normally, you'll lose 1LB pressure for every 10 degree drop in temperature. Under these crazy temp swings in Ohio (6 degrees right now, supposed to be 50 degrees Wed), all bets are off. I've noticed more loss in my off-road tires (35") than in my wife's car though, so I keep the necessary gauges etc in the JTR and check them weekly so I don't get any weird tire wear.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Yes, good point. Adjusting the psi when it's already cold out, helps with lower fluctuation rates. We can't do that so easily here is the South (TN). It literally could be 15 degrees on Monday and 68 by Wednesday...and back to 20 by Friday...all winter long.

Nitrogen is the best answer for us, but I don't mind heading out to the garage and making adjustments.
+1 for nitrogen-filled. My last 2 sets of rims/tires came shipped nitrogen filled. Didn't pay extra for it, the vendor just did it for free. I've noticed over the past few winters here in TX that I don't lose as much pressure with the nitrogen in cold weather. I don't know the science behind it, but it seems to make a difference.

Sponsored

Se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
From Tire Rack...

"Nitrogen reduces the loss of tire pressure due to permeation through rubber over time by about 1/3. This helps maintain the vehicle's required tire pressures a little longer, but doesn't eliminate the need for monthly tire pressure checks. This is good for people who don't maintain their vehicles well."

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Normally, you'll lose 1LB pressure for every 10 degree drop in temperature. Under these crazy temp swings in Ohio (6 degrees right now, supposed to be 50 degrees Wed), all bets are off. I've noticed more loss in my off-road tires (35") than in my wife's car though, so I keep the necessary gauges etc in the JTR and check them weekly so I don't get any weird tire wear.
Yeah, the fluctuations are crazy.... was -3 this morning and then here's the forecast:

Jeep Gladiator air pressure loss in cold weather 1643481086242

Interested to see my PSI on Weds afternoon đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
From Tire Rack...

"Nitrogen reduces the loss of tire pressure due to permeation through rubber over time by about 1/3. This helps maintain the vehicle's required tire pressures a little longer, but doesn't eliminate the need for monthly tire pressure checks. This is good for people who don't maintain their vehicles well."
This is also why airlines use nitrogen... crazy temp fluctuations from altitude to landing (plus the weight, friction, etc of a MASSIVE plane)

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow also 52 deg. in Indiana on Tuesday ! Going to give mine a bath !!
Sponsored