All Purpose Vehicle

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So new to the forums and have been wanting a jeep truck for as long as I can remember (I am 57). I remember the old Jeep Trucks but 2 seater was not workable for me. I thought about buying a jeep but since I cycle and kayak something with a bed always worked better. Well now the new Jeep Truck is out and I have been looking at them serious. I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 last year but if all works out well I will sell that and come early next year look to move into a Jeep Truck. Hopefully the prices will maybe come down some. The Jeep will be my all purpose vehicle in that I commute about 100 miles for work twice a week and daily run around. Not much on offroading other than the beach and minor trails and muddy locations I go to for launching my kayak. I do like to camp so the possibility of taking it to some remote locations for camping could be in the picture. I sometimes tow a small travel trailer nothing big or very heavy.

I was thinking and looking at the Sport S with the Max Tow (I may not need the max tow but figure if I am buying the Jeep Truck and plans to keep it long time I can't see not getting this feature). As for other things I don't really have a clue on best tires and any sort of lifting if necessary.

Are there anyone that is driving now feels there are better models to look at as an all purpose daily drive, etc type vehicle. I like the Rubicon but unless I could get one for a decent price probably not going that route. I have seen some Sport S with reduced price around Houston but it seems that they might be trying to get rid of them because they aren't what people want (Wrong Packages, no max tow, etc).

My wife said if I can get one in purple (LSU Alumni) I can go buy it anytime if not don't go near the Jeep lots (LOL)

Appreciate any info.
Sponsored

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Well - given its an Enthusiast page - you may have a hard time with some of the responses. As for LSU colors - Easy fix on a Jeep -just wrap it ;-) As with any vehicle - Things to love / improve / and maintain. Soft Top truck with good tow capability / looks and function of a Jeep - Reason I bought it. I still have my Ram 2500 - but thats like a big brother to the Gladiator

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I have similar requirements, small boating (a 16-foot Faering), cycling and off road camping. I got the Sport S with the STD tow package, which gets better fuel economy over the max tow, which has a lower final gear ratio. I think the Rubicon is overkill for occasional off road use that meets what you have indicated as your requirements. A Rubi is a rock crawler, designed to go down difficult trails, or other rough terrain, where you need the extras. In my area, in northern Calif., the Sport is outselling the Rubi, and is the Gladiator of choice here.
Cheers

Reactions: BAT

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking and looking at the Sport S with the Max Tow
Seems logical based on what you will be doing!

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have similar requirements, small boating (a 16-foot Faering), cycling and off road camping. I got the Sport S with the STD tow package, which gets better fuel economy over the max tow, which has a lower final gear ratio. I think the Rubicon is overkill for occasional off road use that meets what you have indicated as your requirements. A Rubi is a rock crawler, designed to go down difficult trails, or other rough terrain, where you need the extras. In my area, in northern Calif., the Sport is outselling the Rubi, and is the Gladiator of choice here.
Cheers
Yea I thought about the standard tow package for the fuel economy but was trying to take into consideration down the line if perhaps I get a boat or something not sure if the standard tow package would be adequate for that or not. Not a huge boat but perhaps something in the 18' - 20' Range.

Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
The Max Tow or the Rubi would be an advantage if you are going to put larger tires on it. The 4.10 gears will work better with the larger tires. If you are keeping stock, then probably no need for the Max Tow. The Rubicon has other advantages but not if only street driving stock.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Max Tow or the Rubi would be an advantage if you are going to put larger tires on it. The 4.10 gears will work better with the larger tires. If you are keeping stock, then probably no need for the Max Tow. The Rubicon has other advantages but not if only street driving stock.
Thanks for info that might be something I have to take into consideration and look into. I don't really like the stock tires on them but I definitely would not be going to something like 37" tires as my offroading would only be occasionaly. I ride beach more than backroads for now.
Sponsored