Alpine I509-WRA-JL vs. Stinger Heigh10

slimbler

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Having a hard time deciding between these two units as a replacement for my 5 inch Uconnect unit. The 509 appears to be an updated version of the i409 restyle with better resolution and native wireless CarPlay. The Heigh10 is clearly the better deal but lacking wireless CarPlay and is not weatherproof. Price difference for me is about $500 for the Alpine when all is said and done. I have also heard reports of inconsistent quality with the stinger (not true 4 volt preamp) but really like the size of this unit. If you were me which would you choose?
Sponsored

MainePure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Water Boss
I have the i407-wra-JL coming tomorrow to replace my 5" uconnect. I almost pulled trigger on the Stinger, but at the end of the day I wanted something a little less conspicuous than a 9 or 10 inch while still having a lot of the smart features.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Stinger still has not weatherproofed that unit. I can't tell you how many times I have seen stuff about interest but won't go that route due to it not being waterproof. The insane Audio looks interesting

Sponsored

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Could not agree more on the weatherproofing...WIth other options out there I simply think they have missed the mark on their offering. I do wish (and it might) the insane audio unit didnt have the logo on the front or it can be turned off, just not a fan.

My question for this is does the head unit really make anything better from a sound perspecitve? Wouldnt the money be better spent upgrading your speakers and adding a sub?

Clarkr32

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have the i407-wra-JL coming tomorrow to replace my 5" uconnect. I almost pulled trigger on the Stinger, but at the end of the day I wanted something a little less conspicuous than a 9 or 10 inch while still having a lot of the smart features.
How’s this work out?

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Oof, I think that statement from me is pretty out of date at this point.

When I purchased my IA unit, it was prolly 1.5 years ago ish, and at that time they offered a head unit with better specs than the others available - since then, theyve gone through a rebranding of sorts and launched a new version of the head unit, but they really botched the launch and I havent been confident enough in the product to replace the one I have.

AU72

First Name
Lamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 16 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Occupation
Small business owner
Don't forget the Phoenix Automotive 7862 Android unit. Love mine ( 8 gig/128 gig)and you retain all factory functions including the O.E.M. mic.

chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Wrangler Freedom Edit
Occupation
Sr Quality Manager
I have the Insane Audio JL4001 installed and yes it makes one hell of a difference in sound quality.
Sponsored