Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
As the JT is still under warranty booked it in with the dealer, had to wait a month to get in due to time of year etc
Today they assessed it as the alternator bearing and therefore a full alternator replacement under warranty luckily,
But now it will take a couple of weeks to get the part and then a couple more weeks before I can get it booked back in due to they are over booked.
So another month before it gets fixed, it's my daily drive and I have a road trip due before the repair date.
Replace the whole assembly unless you can find if it's the bearing or the pulley itself - they diagnosed as alternator bearing.
I'd wait except you have a road trip coming up........
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB

Slipshodman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
Replace the whole assembly unless you can find if it's the bearing or the pulley itself - they diagnosed as alternator bearing.
I'd wait except you have a road trip coming up........
I would consider getting it done myself but over here getting genuine JT mechanicals is only through Jeep dealers pretty much anyway (driveline components anyway)
So odds are if the dealer will take a couple of weeks to get the part so would I.
Add to that the prices for parts are dam steep, the dealer replaced my reverse camera under warranty, their prices on the internal invoices had it at near 2 grand for camera and bracket (not that I paid anything), I would hate to see what an alternator would set me back even if I could get it

Thanks for the advice, just gunna keep my fingers crossed and hope it holds out for the trip , just wont be doing anything off grid so if I need my Roadside Assist company to come tow me they will be able to

Cheers

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would consider getting it done myself but over here getting genuine JT mechanicals is only through Jeep dealers pretty much anyway (driveline components anyway)
So odds are if the dealer will take a couple of weeks to get the part so would I.
Add to that the prices for parts are dam steep, the dealer replaced my reverse camera under warranty, their prices on the internal invoices had it at near 2 grand for camera and bracket (not that I paid anything), I would hate to see what an alternator would set me back even if I could get it

Thanks for the advice, just gunna keep my fingers crossed and hope it holds out for the trip , just wont be doing anything off grid so if I need my Roadside Assist company to come tow me they will be able to

Cheers
Forgot for a moment you were not in the USA.........

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
It's been several years, but thinking back, I never seen grease slung like that from my failed decoupler pulleys. It was either black dust or red rust dust.
Sponsored