Am I asking to much? Windshield replacement

Jessem

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara unlimited crush orange
Unfortunately in Colorado your windshield is just part of your comprehensive coverage so what ever your deductible is each time you need one. The five year coverage cost my deductible 3x so I figured I was better off with dealer plan.

They have 20 mobile trucks and two locations so I assumed they were a decent size company, and they had decent Google rating.
I live in CO and have zero deductible glass coverage with state farm. Only couple bucks a month.
Side note that is the wrong tool for the job. On any windshield.
Good to know to watch out for people trying this.
Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
They have 20 mobile trucks and two locations so I assumed they were a decent size company, and they had decent Google rating.
You must have run into the installer that started that day. I guess every installer has their first install.

Sorry you have to go through this.

OP
OP
SandAJT

SandAJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Accord Sport
You must have run into the installer that started that day. I guess every installer has their first install.

Sorry you have to go through this.
The shop manager said he was a 25yr installer!! Bad day or new tool he wanted try out?!?! I removed my own XJ windshield years ago with less damage and I wasn't even trying to be careful because I was fixing rust and repainting the whole thing, guess I should just do my own windshields too! Guessing it will need one about every oil change anyway.

We have All-State, probably should just look into a zero deductible plan. Just added a teen driver to our policy so not looking for it to go any higher right now!

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Good luck. I am on my 8th Jeep and so far, no cracked windshield.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've done a better job than that I used a piece of steel cable to cut out the windshield to replace it... It was a pain in A to do. But no F way in H did I use a sawzall. I really can be a cheap B@$$&#$@ but not that. Windshield is a critical part of vehicle structure. Court time or something there.

Sponsored

Lucrob

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
PPF & Large format graphics production
Looking for some opinions and options as to what to do next.

I did buy just the glass warranty from the dealership. So when the windshield cracked with 4097 miles on it I called the warranty company to get it replaced. Super easy to deal with, OEM glass, scheduled a company to come out to the house the next day!

Company was on time, but that is where the good part of this experience ends.

Moved the Jeep into the middle of the garage since it was cold outside and let him work inside. Went in the house while he was getting started to check on kiddo and grab some coffee when I heard the noise. I popped out to see how it was going when I saw him using a sawzall tool to cut out the windshield. When he got the glass out I looked to see if there were any scratches on the frame. My old XJ had rust issues around the windshield from damage caused during a windshield replacement. The frame was scratched and damaged from the tool all the way around, I don't think he left more than an inch untouched! They did "primer" the marks and installed the new glass. He came to clean the dash with blue Scott's shop towels and glass cleaner so I asked he not clean anything! I was afraid of damage from the metal and glass shavings all over the dash.

With the new glass in you can see only one small spot of primer showing. However I feel like they caused excessive damage to the frame in the removal of the glass and I am afraid it will have the same fate as the XJ, rust! The tech was a hack in general for an ocd like me, no protection for dash, seats or hood, laid tools and supplies on hood, stepping in and out of jambs with no protection.

I did file a complaint with the warranty company. I also had the shop manager come look at the truck and he is not willing to do anything since you can't see it, he did offer to stretch and glue the window seal to hide the primer. I declined as that is not the right fix. He called it a successful install since all the damage is hidden.

I think they should have the frame repainted for me. Is that unreasonable? Any glass people who can say what the best way to remove a JT windshield is? I do plan on getting an estimate to fix paint and have a couple glass places tell me how they would remove it. If a windshield replacement is this invasive every 5k miles I won't have a windshield frame by 50k!

Thank you in advance for any advice or bridge building materials so I can just get over it!

20200225_091950.jpg
20200225_091946.jpg
20200225_114955.jpg

20200225_091950.jpg

20200225_114955.jpg

20200225_091946.jpg

20200225_091950.jpg

20200225_114955.jpg

20200225_092002.jpg
Fortunately it is not my dd and has been just sitting in the garage for two weeks while I figure out what to do. I should have time today to make some phone calls and get the ball rolling. I will get all numbers to the company for cleaning and repair and offer one chance to make it right before I file it.

I have not talked to my insurance company, they have been less than helpful so far with a claim on my Accord. An overloaded semi dropped some landscaping rocks on the interstate, one bounced over and took out the Honda Sense radar on the car. Even with pictures of the load and DOT number from the truck they won't help recover my deductible from trucking company. So not holding out hope they will help me here.

Lucrob

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
PPF & Large format graphics production
What a nightmare. Sorry.

I apply paint protection film for a living, and after I got my JT Rubicon, having heard how often windshield break on Jeeps, I applied Plexshield to mine, from bulk film. I've since done a couple of Porsche windshields for customers from precut and preformed material . A lot more expensive that way, but so much easier toward getting a perfect job done.

Anyway, this film puts a compete stop to pitting and chips, and will prevent most cracked glass from flying rocks. I'm sure most anyone could apply in a controlled dust free and humid environment because the jeep glass is totally flat.

Not looking to solicit business, but if you need help finding the material, I'm happy to help. Plenty of videos showing how to do it on YouTube. My cost to do the JT was about $30. To buy a precut piece, it's about $75. The stuff is like a Lexan screen protector for cell phone. Cutting it, or triming after you lay it down is a tricky. Don't want to scratch your glass if you're not familiar with cuiting film on painted surfaces.

It's a great alternative to having a visit from the gorilla with the sawsall and dealing with insurance. Plus if you have ACC, more complications.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
On a positive note, the windshield frame is aluminum, so it won't rust.
Oxidize, probably, but not rust...

Kevin
Sponsored