Reprogram after windshield replacement

Jeepfreak22

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just had the windshield replaced on my 2020 Rubicon Gladiator and the glass company said they have to reprogram the auto brake, adaptive cruise control that has the camera up by the rear view mirror. Does anyone know if this is really necessary? It seems if that was so , every time the windshield was put down it would have to be done again when it was put back up. Thanks. They didn’t have the tool with them today , so will call to set up another time.
Sponsored

Dkronke

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Not necessary, because the camera stays where it is when you fold the windshield down. If you had to reprogram it because of a replacement then you'd have to do it every time you folded your windshield down also. I think there's an official jeep memo about it somewhere, but I can't remember where right now.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
On most any vehicle that has a camera shooting through the windshield for adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, automatic headlight dimming, automatic wipers, etc., when you replace the windshield, the camera functions are supposed to be recalibrated to account for differences in the refractivity/transmissivity of the windshield glass, as the glass isn't all the same. Simply lowering the windshield won't change that.
Now, lowering the windshield will change the camera's response, but you're not (supposedly) using all those features with the windshield down, anyway.

Kevin

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
This is why it's a good idea to buy the windshield replacement option when you buy a new vehicle with adaptive cruise control. Replacing the windshield is expensive and, as I understand it, only the dealer can recalibrate the adaptive cruise.

OP
OP

Jeepfreak22

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So I guess no one knows for sure if it has to be done. So Safelite is coming tomorrow to do it. They said they have to take it for drive of up to 30 miles to do the calibration. Not excited about that. My insurance company is paying the full boat. As it should for what it costs to insure. Thanks

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine replaced and the glass guy said it was not necessary. He does replacements for various area dealers. He said he would happily recalibrate if I really wanted to give him the money but he had never needed to do it on any of the jobs for JLs or Gladiators. I’ve not noticed any change in my ACC or Collision Warning behavior.

perhaps some windss out there may have distortions at the camera location requiring recal. Who knows. I’ve als seen reports of bad calibration attempts resulting in more re-recal costs.. So far, so good for me.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
This is why it's a good idea to buy the windshield replacement option when you buy a new vehicle with adaptive cruise control. Replacing the windshield is expensive and, as I understand it, only the dealer can recalibrate the adaptive cruise.
The recalibration can be done by any glass company that has the device.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The recalibration can be done by any glass company that has the device.
Maybe!

Yesterday I had Safelite replace my broken windshield (stone chip) with Mopar factory glass. And that's when the "fun" started.

The recalibration of my 2020 Jeep Gladiator was NOT successful. Well, they thought it was but I got a Check Engine light after I started it up. So they used 3-4 of their tablets to recalibrate my Gladiator with Adaptive Cruise Control. They finally got it to clear and on my drive home my IP lit up as it showed a Traction Control light and warning.

Back I went to Safelite this morning. They tried to recalibrate it and said they couldn't do it because my truck is lifted (3.5" Metal Cloak Gamechanger suspension lift and 37" tires). I told them to re-set it to factory settings because it worked fine when I brought it in. And they said, no can do Shamu. They said their updated software/tablets can't do it and I need to go to the dealer.

So off I went to the dealership. No can do. They cleared the codes and they were thrown again - a number of them including Traction Control, Radio and others per their mechanic. Told me he's not seen codes like this and I need to go back to Safelite to get them to clear the codes.

I'm stuck in No Man's Land. While I think Safelite has an issue they need to fix and I'm holding them responsible, I am glad I didn't go to the local windshield place as I don't have confidence they know as much as Safelite as they deal with this stuff many times every day on lots of vehicles.

I've told Safelite about this problem and that I need them to address it. But I am going back to the dealership on Tuesday for a different issue. The mechanic said he wants to look closely at my Jeep's new, replacement Steering Box because he's seen some issues with replacement Steering Boxes and he wants to make sure that's not an issue. When it's in there he'll spend more time with the codes and see if he can clear them but he's not confident (plus they told me they have this issue with all their other FCA/Stellantis vehicles with ACC, etc. and they said they don't have the machine/software - not clear what they don't have - to address this issue).

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I've had 2 windshield replacements. I was doubtful that the recalibration of the ACC was necessary, so on the second replacement I asked about it and watched as the technician did the calibration.

The tablet did make some minor changes on the second windshield change (I didn't watch the first). The glass around the camera for the ACC has heating element wiring and the new windshield placement can be slightly off of the previous.

I was skeptical, but after watching, I believe it may be necessary (only way to be sure is to have it done). Going through a smaller windshield company and using non-Mopar glass came in at $500 with the calibration for me.

Next windshield will be Gorilla glass if they start making it compatible with ACC

shadesmn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Silverado
Occupation
Auto Glass Manager
Maybe!

Yesterday I had Safelite replace my broken windshield (stone chip) with Mopar factory glass. And that's when the "fun" started.

The recalibration of my 2020 Jeep Gladiator was NOT successful. Well, they thought it was but I got a Check Engine light after I started it up. So they used 3-4 of their tablets to recalibrate my Gladiator with Adaptive Cruise Control. They finally got it to clear and on my drive home my IP lit up as it showed a Traction Control light and warning.

Back I went to Safelite this morning. They tried to recalibrate it and said they couldn't do it because my truck is lifted (3.5" Metal Cloak Gamechanger suspension lift and 37" tires). I told them to re-set it to factory settings because it worked fine when I brought it in. And they said, no can do Shamu. They said their updated software/tablets can't do it and I need to go to the dealer.

So off I went to the dealership. No can do. They cleared the codes and they were thrown again - a number of them including Traction Control, Radio and others per their mechanic. Told me he's not seen codes like this and I need to go back to Safelite to get them to clear the codes.

I'm stuck in No Man's Land. While I think Safelite has an issue they need to fix and I'm holding them responsible, I am glad I didn't go to the local windshield place as I don't have confidence they know as much as Safelite as they deal with this stuff many times every day on lots of vehicles.

I've told Safelite about this problem and that I need them to address it. But I am going back to the dealership on Tuesday for a different issue. The mechanic said he wants to look closely at my Jeep's new, replacement Steering Box because he's seen some issues with replacement Steering Boxes and he wants to make sure that's not an issue. When it's in there he'll spend more time with the codes and see if he can clear them but he's not confident (plus they told me they have this issue with all their other FCA/Stellantis vehicles with ACC, etc. and they said they don't have the machine/software - not clear what they don't have - to address this issue).
This may come as a day late and a dollar short for info as i see your post was from back in June so i hope you have found some resolution to this by now. That being said both SL and the dealer are correct with the info about your vehicle not being able to calibrate, the lift will bring the entire system out of its working field of specs and not allow it to function. The reason it does need to be calibrated when the glass is changed out is like has been stated before, the glass optics can be slightly different from window to window and the focus of the camera would then be changed. The problem id=s the camera doesn't know the glass was changed so its focus can be off and still function without throwing codes. When you try to calibrate and it fails the system then knows it is not working correctly due to the failure. The easiest way to explain it to customers i've found is to compare it to sighting in a rifle. you mount the scope and zero it in to perfect. Now if you un mount it and put it back in the same spot you still need to make sure it is on target and zero it back in. You may still hit your target, but it will not be on your bullseye without adjusting it. Sorry for the rant, but trying to educate the general public on these things is the only way to help broaden the understanding of it. Unfortunately you may need to return the jeep to its factory stance in order to get the camera system to allow a calibration and clear your codes at this point. There is no work around for these systems as they are so integrated into the vehicles now. Hope this helps...

Sponsored

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
....you may need to return the jeep to its factory stance in order to get the camera system to allow a calibration and clear your codes at this point....
Could you put small donut tires on it to make up the difference? Or take the tires off and lower to stock height and set on jack stands? Does jeep drive the jeep to calibrate? I have not seen a calibration done, so no idea how this works. Just seems like there has to be a better option than taking a lift kit off just to calibrate.

brk771

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Maybe!

how did you end up resolving this? I have Safelite coming next week and I’m afraid to fall into your shoes!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
how did you end up resolving this? I have Safelite coming next week and I’m afraid to fall into your shoes!
He hasn't been here in 3 months.
Sponsored