First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
I live in Southern California. OEM windshield got hit And cracked Sunday. I Have JTR, 3.5” lift and 37” tires. Tried 5 different auto glass shops. Nobody says they can calibrate the adaptive cruise control and adaptive breaks. What’s the story here, I’m i crazy? Don’t know what to do? What have you folks being doing for this problem?
Sponsored

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Did you try Safelite Auto Glass? National company, I know they do them around here, but expect to be shocked....

OP
OP
RangerG

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
Did you try Safelite Auto Glass? National company, I know they do them around here, but expect to be shocked....
Talk to them today. Can not do lifted Jeeps.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
Safelite did mine and everything works. The installer guy said nothing special.
JLUR 37s with 3.5 lift

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Do you actually need a calibration? Our windshields drop so I don't think anything is connected to windshield that would necessitate re calibration. Maybe someone else with adaptive cruise experience can weigh in.

Sponsored

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Do you actually need a calibration? Our windshields drop so I don't think anything is connected to windshield that would necessitate re calibration. Maybe someone else with adaptive cruise experience can weigh in.
True, but I'd imagine if the vehicle had been lifted things should probably be re-calibrated even if the windshield wasn't being replaced as the aiming point for the cameras was changed.

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
True, but I'd imagine if the vehicle had been lifted things should probably be re-calibrated even if the windshield wasn't being replaced as the aiming point for the cameras was changed.
I see what you're saying. But not sure the lift would impact the aiming point.

JS52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Safelite did ours with a 3" and 35's a couple months ago, seem to do a decent job besides the left over sealer/gasket maker which I just cleaned off myself.

The only problem we have noticed is on occasion the blind spot monitor will light up if you are on a 2-lane road with high brush and we had 1 situation where it did not even not a semi next to us on the highway

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
The only problem we have noticed is on occasion the blind spot monitor will light up if you are on a 2-lane road with high brush and we had 1 situation where it did not even not a semi next to us on the highway
Blind spot monitors are in the tail lights and aren't connected to the windshield stuff. I've had mine go on off roading. Shutting the engine off for a minute or so clears the fault. Also, I've had them not work at all in a bad storm.

JS52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Blind spot monitors are in the tail lights and aren't connected to the windshield stuff. I've had mine go on off roading. Shutting the engine off for a minute or so clears the fault. Also, I've had them not work at all in a bad storm.
Brain fart moment, you are 100% correct.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Talk to them today. Can not do lifted Jeeps.
They don't know how. It's all built into the Jeep.
Safelite can do it.
If the Jeep is stock it's not a must to calibrate after a break. But - if the Jeep is lifted, that alone is the reason to get it calibrated! Yeah, lifts and levels.
There's a measurement you take from a point on the frame down to the ground. If the measurement is within stock range, then they simply drive it through the calibration. If the Jeep is lifted, they enter another number based on that measurement and then they drive the Jeep.
They use a laptop or tablet connected to the Jeep. They require internet access so it can't be done in a dead zone.
The calibration is built-in and they drive the Jeep through a process laid out on the laptop screen.

Apparently those people don't have FCA access or know how to do it. Other vehicles require special equipment in a shop - but not these.

I see what you're saying. But not sure the lift would impact the aiming point.
Yes - lifted and leveled Jeeps impact the aim of the camera and radar.
How can a lift not impact where the camera hits the road ahead? The intersection of the site of the camera with the highway indicates, along with radar, the distance ahead, etc.

I've seen the instructions and watched it done.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's what Jeeps says as well. And there's a frame measurement that gets plugged into the system when you start the process. A good shop will ask you if the vehicle has been lifted and if the tires are stock size.

Econn2000

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
I've had four windshields replaced on my Gladiator. All of the technicians asked to set up a calibration for the next day...which I declined. So far, (knock on wood) my ACC still works the same as always. However, the calibration should always be part of the quote...

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
Safelite did mine and everything works. The installer guy said nothing special.
JLUR 37s with 3.5 lift
Safelite did mine also (JTR on 35s). They came to the house so they could drive it for the calibration while I was working.
Sponsored