Sponsored

AMP Powerstep AND... rock sliders or rails or protection?

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I've installed the AMP Powerstep, which is essential for my wife. No other step provided a low enough step for her to get in comfortably, and I didn't want to spend the rest of my life throwing her up and in.

I won't be doing serious crawling, but there are trails with good size rocks and stairs I would like to take. My greatest fear at this point is now damaging the $1,800 steps that are aluminum and are now where my rock rails used to be.

Has anyone installed the AMP PowerStep AND done something to provide some protection below them? Would be very interested to see what you have done. Considering even just a tube or angle iron mounted to the bottom of the frame. Would rather sacrifice an inch of clearance than $1800.
Sponsored

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
Sorry, you should have bought Rock Slide Engineering slide/steps instead of the AMPs. They are the ONLY product of their kind on the market; AMP and other similar style powersteps will not tolerate the type of use you're looking at and instead of trying to ham and egg a solution I'd sell the AMPs and use the money to buy the RSEs.

Unless you are SERIOUSLY wheeling on extremely technical/difficult trails, like those found in Moab, etc. the additional armor for the RSEs is NOT necessary. I pounded on the ones I had installed on my JKUR in Sedona, etc. and they took a HARD hit more than once and they're none the worse for wear.

Buy once, cry once as they say!

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Sorry, you should have bought Rock Slide Engineering slide/steps instead of the AMPs. They are the ONLY product of their kind on the market; AMP and other similar style powersteps will not tolerate the type of use you're looking at and instead of trying to ham and egg a solution I'd sell the AMPs and use the money to buy the RSEs.

Unless you are SERIOUSLY wheeling on extremely technical/difficult trails, like those found in Moab, etc. the additional armor for the RSEs is NOT necessary. I pounded on the ones I had installed on my JKUR in Sedona, etc. and they took a HARD hit more than once and they're none the worse for wear.

Buy once, cry once as they say!
I like ham and eggs and am not afriad of working on a solution. I greatly prefer the look and function of the AMP over those. Just my personal preference. I did explore other step options before AMP.

Again, I am not doing Moab crawling and will do my best to avoid a direct impact on only the step. I will add something myself to help in a lot of situations to protect from the bottom, but I'm interested if someone else has already done something as well to give ideas. I really can't sell the AMP to a narrower and small step just for the occasional need, but am still interested in those with AMP providing any suggestions or ideas.

There was and still is an excellent reason for me to choose the AMP over any other option out there.

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
You asked, I answered. You obviously didn't do your research before spending nearly $2K on steps that are literally fragile when it comes to anything remotely off road, NOT necessarily Moab, and now you're gonna end up likely spending MORE on your ham and egg project to make them work while the RSEs fit the bill cleanly and like no other product does. Good luck, I'm OUT...

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
You asked, I answered. You obviously didn't do your research before spending nearly $2K on steps that are literally fragile when it comes to anything remotely off road, NOT necessarily Moab, and now you're gonna end up likely spending MORE on your ham and egg project to make them work while the RSEs fit the bill cleanly and like no other product does. Good luck, I'm OUT...
Peter, sorry to have offended you. I'm not looking for alternatives to the AMP. Looking for creative ways that some may have done with the AMP. The Jeep community is full of people that love to improvise, change, create, and do things themselves. I'm one of those.

Please understand, my wife has MS and needs a full step, not a narrow step like the one you have. I'm also concerned about the bar that interrupts the steps right where you need to use it. Her vision isn't the best, and even the lights of the AMP are working well. She can get in and out by herself, but I felt the ones you suggested would have created a greater challenge for her to step on and also over. I am glad those work well for you and probably are the best choice for people that really don't need steps but like to have steps.

I also really don't like the "tank" look of the RSE and huge box that encloses it. Doesn't fit the look and feel I have. Again, this is simply a personal preference. Sorry to touched a nerve and got you so upset so quickly. I was asking for how people with the AMP step may have done a DIY upgrade to add a little more protection. That would really answer my question well. Hopefully others with AMP steps will see this thread and answer the real question....how to add some additional protection to the AMP powerstep.

Sponsored

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Are you thick? Your username sure fits. Did you even read the OPs request thoroughly? If so, what help are you even offering him? And thanks for announcing to us all that you’re OUT. 🤣 Go back to your safe space snowflake.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
What version do you have? This YouTube video shows the XL and some sort of rock rail cover.
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with Amp Research Power Step XL with Rock Rail installed - Bing video
I didn't get the XL. Got this: AMP Research 75135-01A

I know that it says the XL has a rock rail, but it really just appears to have a cover for the same step and the step is still exposed on the bottom. I thought it also said that the step extends a little lower, which could have created too big of a step for my wife from step to inside.

I know that I can put something directly under the mechanism, but perhaps folks know off-hand of rails or something for under the frame that will just help provide a little better clearance from the step arm? Or should I fabricate something?

Jeep Gladiator AMP Powerstep AND... rock sliders or rails or protection? 20210707_055258

Jeep Gladiator AMP Powerstep AND... rock sliders or rails or protection? 20210707_055242
Jeep Gladiator AMP Powerstep AND... rock sliders or rails or protection? 20210707_055233

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
The angle/path of opening really blocks a lot of good options, I guess you could fab something like a c-channel. Bolt between the step and frame, then drops down on the inside of the rail and then outwards underneath.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
That's an Idea I will look into. Thanks.

Trying to look online for anything like frame sliders....something other than sliding on rocks right on the frame. That might also provide a little added protection. Trying to avoid spending a lot and adding a lot of weight with protecting the whole bottom, but the channel even bolted directly to the bottom of the frame might add just a little extra space between a rock and the step arm.

Sponsored

Quadrum 4X4

First Name
Lucio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Gladiator
Occupation
DSM
I've installed the AMP Powerstep, which is essential for my wife. No other step provided a low enough step for her to get in comfortably, and I didn't want to spend the rest of my life throwing her up and in.

I won't be doing serious crawling, but there are trails with good size rocks and stairs I would like to take. My greatest fear at this point is now damaging the $1,800 steps that are aluminum and are now where my rock rails used to be.

Has anyone installed the AMP PowerStep AND done something to provide some protection below them? Would be very interested to see what you have done. Considering even just a tube or angle iron mounted to the bottom of the frame. Would rather sacrifice an inch of clearance than $1800.
Hi, Did you find a solution? Im just curious, my wife has the same medical issue

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Hi, Did you find a solution? I'm just curious, my wife has the same medical issue
I think that Ethan had the right idea. I got distracted with another project and am now down south in New Mexico for the winter (live in Montana). When I get back home I may do something, but for now, I've taken it easy on the trails and not tried anything too extreme. The sand dunes of Pismo Beach didn't hurt them either.

I will have to spend time doing a lot of measurements and trying to figure out where a C channel might fit. Still, very happy with the steps...the way they work for my wife, the lights at night, the size of the step that allows you to pivot while standing on them, and the look. If the only thing I can't do at the time is scratch my new truck up and bend things underneath it, I can live. A crawler this is not.

If there was a simple answer, a product someone has already made, an add-on, I would get it just to protect the investment of the step. Fabricating takes a little more time and effort, of course. Just need to the time. I'll put in the effort.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Short answer is no, no one has made something like what you are looking for. Which means you can be the first to get something to market and make some money on the side.
Sponsored