An all aluminum Modular Rack System!

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
Looks great. I'd consider one. I do like the Rebel Off-road xplor rack. Has some nice features, but $$$. Do you think you'll produce these?
Sponsored

Redjk07

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Self Employed
Will this work with a soft side roll up cover?

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Looks great. I'd consider one. I do like the Rebel Off-road xplor rack. Has some nice features, but $$$. Do you think you'll produce these?
i am looking to produce these. If there is a certain feature you want let me know.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
So to start let me go over the concept. What I wanted was a light weigh rack system that allowed me to mount anything I wanted on any part of the rack. I wanted to be able to adjust the rack height relatively easily and be able to add hard/soft panels. the best way to achieve this goal is to use a T-slot style system (8020 extruded aluminum) it’s light weight and extremely strong using 6105-T5 aluminum. All my other pieces will be made out of 6061-T6 aluminum. All hardware will be stainless steel and will utilize a minimum number of sizes/styles of hardware to make things easier.
Very interested in this- what is the process to adjusting the rack height?

My ideal setup is one rack that allows me to set it low to carry bikes, roof top tent etc... then adjust to above cab height to carry longer items like kayaks and canoes, and work with an inside the rail tonneau like the access literider. To my knowledge no one does this so far- Truxedo’s elevate rack looked promising but apparently had issues and was taken back off the market for redesign.

Sponsored

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
i am looking to produce these. If there is a certain feature you want let me know.
Just as long as you can mount all the standard items like rotopax, treads, lights, etc. Your design is superior. I would suggest trying to mimic some of the rebel off road features. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Very interested in this- what is the process to adjusting the rack height?

My ideal setup is one rack that allows me to set it low to carry bikes, roof top tent etc... then adjust to above cab height to carry longer items like kayaks and canoes, and work with an inside the rail tonneau like the access literider. To my knowledge no one does this so far- Truxedo’s elevate rack looked promising but apparently had issues and was taken back off the market for redesign.
currently, the way you could do this is by replacing the upright bars to taller ones. And replacing the front and rear cross bars.

now, I might be able to get the cost down so you can just swap pre setup high rack and low/med rack. Do you have a height you need for your bikes?

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I’m interested in this I think. I like the idea of having it low most of the time to carry a bike or cargo pod and then be able to raise it for longer items like lumber trips to Home Depot. It would be ideal to be able to open a tonneau without removing the rack. I’ll be watching

Flux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not having access to a waterjet myself...back to the pivots. Can't get several plates water jettet for <$18/part. That brings the current BOM to ~$555 - which isn't bad considering the cost of most bed racks I'm seeing.

1601062740771.png

1601062668178.png

Now, to sort out a way to mount the base to the trailrail unistrut.
So far, your design is looking quite good. Have you considered adding any fore/aft bracing to provide triangulation for structural stability? I suppose bolting on those molle panels would do this, just curious how this could be attained without the panels.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
So far, your design is looking quite good. Have you considered adding any fore/aft bracing to provide triangulation for structural stability? I suppose bolting on those molle panels would do this, just curious how this could be attained without the panels.
Yeah I've been mulling that over as well. When I have time next, I was going to mock it up much like GFC's space frame with triangles on the side and gussets in the corners.

Jeep Gladiator An all aluminum Modular Rack System! 1601305428916

I should probably start my own thread so as not to clog Mike's thread with my much much more DIY version.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So quick poll:

straight upright rack
Or
Tapered rack (as currently designed)

I ask this as a LOT of people want to keep their covers. Upright rack will give us more flexibility with that

Redjk07

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Self Employed
So quick poll:

straight upright rack
Or

I ask this as a LOT of people want to keep their covers. Upright rack will give us more flexibility with that
A tapered rack will look a lot nicer will it not? Will it work with a soft roll up cover?

OP
OP

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Tapered rack will look better and have better stability. But at the cost of interior volume and cover compatibility.

Flux

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
So quick poll:

straight upright rack
Or

Personally, I'd prefer a tapered rack to more closely match cab lines. This would add to structural rigidity as it's slightly more triangulated (weak rationalization, I know, as gussets could be added). It's also esthetically less hideous to look at.... If the bottom rails (?) that attach to bed rails could be moved further outboard to allow room for a cover if needed.

_7slots_

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 ZJ, 2020 JLUR 2.0T [wifes], 2021 JTR Ecodiesel [ordered 7/3]
Occupation
Reactor Operator Trainee
FOLLOWING! love the idea :fist bump:

@bullitt5897 Tapered rack
I ordered my JT without a bed cover because I knew that it would pose issues when it came to bed racks. And for me aesthetics of the rack matching cab lines outweighs the loss of bed space. I intend on repurposing my old JK hard top lift to be able to remove the bed rack if I need to haul anything that doesn't fit with the rack installed
Sponsored